Throwing the fingers out?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just like the backfist (fast strike)...instead of using the backfist...how many of you prefer throwing the fingers into the eyes instead? Just about the same technique, a flip of the wrist and fingers into the eyes. ...maybe add a raking motion? Ed Parker is famous for this!

Try pressing inwards to the area just below your eyeballs....doesn't take much to hurt this part. ..........Aloha

What did one eye say to the other eye? ...between you and me something smells...old joke...........Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Just like the backfist (fast strike)...instead of using the backfist...how many of you prefer throwing the fingers into the eyes instead? Just about the same technique, a flip of the wrist and fingers into the eyes. ...maybe add a raking motion? Ed Parker is famous for this!

Try pressing inwards to the area just below your eyeballs....doesn't take much to hurt this part. ..........Aloha

What did one eye say to the other eye? ...between you and me something smells...old joke...........Aloha

Certainly a good move IMO. Many of these types of moves would be found in Finger Set. At the very least, you'll get a good reaction out of them. A flinch on their part would buy you time for your next move.

Mike

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. Humans instinctively protect their eyes which are the primary sense organs. Finger jabs to the face/eyes will certainly get an opponent's attention.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen it done in my TKD class. Seems useful in certain situations or when needs arise. That's for the rake and the gouge.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I focus on three targets in a real fight, eyes, groin and solar plexus, I use palm heel strikes as well to slip in the finger jabs.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me say first I am visually impaired was born completely blind at birth. Today as a instructor with limited sight I am the first to say to a student in a real situation poke them in the eyes. If they never see again to bad.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah good technique. There are three targets that are "virtually" guaranteed to get a man to grab/protect them when struck. the eyes, the throat and the groin. Oddly enough the closer you get to the brain the higher the likely hood of a struck sensitive target being protected. Hense, the eye shot (or 'finger whip' this thread is refering to) is good primary attack.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes its a great tool. We actually target the eyes in several different ways. We use a back of the fingers whipping type motion (as described) quite a bit...as well as good old finger jabs.

7sm

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
American Kenpo is GREAT on the Anit-eyeball techniques!!!
Love'm

Very effective!

I saw a T-shirt one time that said:
KARATE:
It was once all fun and games
until someone got an eye poked out...
then
it became KENPO!!
Made me laugh!!!

Your Brother
John

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to dissent a bit.

Fingers to the eyes would certainly work, but you have to keep things in a bit of a practical viewpoint. The eyes are a small target, and fairly well protected.

If you miss your soft target with a finger strike, then you might end up hitting a harder bone surface. Not very fun, indeed! Hitting that bone surface with a backfist, you can still do some damage to the bones in the orbital socket area with a much less chance of damaging your own hand.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:

Fingers to the eyes would certainly work, but you have to keep things in a bit of a practical viewpoint. The eyes are a small target, and fairly well protected.

If you miss your soft target with a finger strike, then you might end up hitting a harder bone surface. Not very fun, indeed! Hitting that bone surface with a backfist, you can still do some damage to the bones in the orbital socket area with a much less chance of damaging your own hand.
Thats a good point. With a flicking type attack with all the fingers, missing the eye itself is ok, you still get the same response, but a more precise finger jab is much harder to pull off. I dont know about other systems of MA but we really drill precision in our attacks. Normally when we go for an eye jab type attack we have allready established control of the opponent or at least their center of balance and thus can "take the time" to be precise. Also, its not thrown as full force and full power as a punch would be, its more of a "finess" move if you will. Also, we use a two finger eye jab but turn it into a controling move by grabbing the orbital socket with the ends of the fingers. Usually this is done pulling the opponents head downward. Again, very precise and possibly hard to pull off, but if control is established over the opponent such as the mantis ou lou choy its much easier to pull off. Now, easier doesn't mean easy :) But establishing control usually means also controlling one or both or the arms, thus taking away alot of the protection for this area.

However, I think the original topic was a flicking type attack, which is less precise and muhc easier to pull off in my own opinion.

7sm

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:

If you miss your soft target with a finger strike, then you might end up hitting a harder bone surface. Not very fun, indeed!

Excellent point. Just as I refered to in the backfist thread - the Cobra system is all about vital area attacks with precision. That "precision" part is why it is considered one of the hardest animal systems to master in the Bando system (were refering to the American Bando Assosciation here specifically). We use various eye, throat, groin and nerve clluster attacks and it effectiveness is based on how fast and accurate you are. If you are off target you not only fail to hurt your opponent, but stand a good chance of damaging your own weapons!

We trained extensivly on small targeets (such as one inch circles drawn on newsprint) to create the accuracy and muscle memory needed to use knuckle and finger strikes.

a side note - one thing you find out pretty quick with fast strikes to the eye and throat area is the importance of footwork and angle of attack. A good strike can still go bad if you're comming in to shallow or too far off line in your positioning.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grenadier said:

Good point here..but any punch/block /kick could miss too....Tarkets...hard to hit...but usually the "BEST places to hit...

Tarket practice....can be done at home, sitting down,standing up..even on the toilet....My aim is to keep the bathroom clean...your aim will help too...........Hawaii is going to get two "Tarkets stores soon" ....then can Tarket pracitice more..............Aloha

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I learned this first in Jeet Kun Do. It is possible the very fastest technique possible. We practiced coming from a point of concealment first. It is just a flick across the eyes with the fingernails, the idea should be one of cutting the eyes. If it misses the eyes, so what. The whole point of the eye flick is to distract your opponent and cause him to close his eyes. Perfect to follow up with something more devestating, circumstances pending. I'll reiterate, it does not need to hit the exact target only cause a blink, if you get the eyes, good for you. In sparring I always use this technique, very controlled, as a precursor to the big nasty.

Latest Discussions