Thoughts on Attending a Seminar?

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
After a few punches from the partner, I told him to go a bit easier, saying I had a 5K to run tomorrow. If he did, I didn't notice. After a couple of more punches, we took a short break. I made sure to be near someone else to partner up with. The kung fu instructor, who I forgot to mention is in his 70's, felt the vertebrae pop in my neck and immediately stopped and asked if I was OK, using his thumbs on the back of my neck. My tracheal area is still sore, but to be honest, my neck feels better than it has in awhile. Maybe I need to go get an osteopathic adjustment.

As for today, I survived the 5K trail race (actually 3.49 again by my phone app). It was cold. It was wet. It was muddy and slippery, especially the hills. My ribs hurt. My legs felt tired. I've logged minimal miles running this year. I beat my time from last year by almost a minute and a half by the chip time.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
After a few punches from the partner, I told him to go a bit easier, saying I had a 5K to run tomorrow. If he did, I didn't notice. After a couple of more punches, we took a short break. I made sure to be near someone else to partner up with. The kung fu instructor, who I forgot to mention is in his 70's, felt the vertebrae pop in my neck and immediately stopped and asked if I was OK, using his thumbs on the back of my neck. My tracheal area is still sore, but to be honest, my neck feels better than it has in awhile. Maybe I need to go get an osteopathic adjustment.

As for today, I survived the 5K trail race (actually 3.49 again by my phone app). It was cold. It was wet. It was muddy and slippery, especially the hills. My ribs hurt. My legs felt tired. I've logged minimal miles running this year. I beat my time from last year by almost a minute and a half by the chip time.

That happens.

There seems to be a performance boost if you are already a bit smashed.

I think you don't do that transition from transition from fine to stuffed.

A it of science for you.
Effects of Maximal Squat Exercise Testing on Vertical Jump Performance in American College Football Players

Basically if you want to jump as high as you can. Tire you legs out with squats first.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, part one is done. I had fun in general, other than getting paired up with a guy who apparently understands "light contact" as only lightly bruising the ribs, and having a kung fu stylist demonstrating a technique for another partner cause my cervical vertebrae to pop and left me feeling as though I have a bruised trachea, hurting to swallow. The presentations were informative, particularly Tokey Hill's, although his and another were reminiscent of what Joe Lewis taught 25 years ago.

We'll see how the race goes tomorrow. Right now I don't feel like I should have any muscle soreness in my legs, and breathing doesn't seem to be a problem. Tomorrow I could feel significantly different, though!
You got this! I look forward to hearing your opinion of the day in retrospect.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Fantastic. You know this will make the next hurdle a little shorter. Congratulations.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That happens.

A it of science for you.
Effects of Maximal Squat Exercise Testing on Vertical Jump Performance in American College Football Players

Basically if you want to jump as high as you can. Tire you legs out with squats first.

I'm sure carrying around over twenty pounds less weight didn't hurt either, but based just on how my legs felt, I thought it was going to be a slow slog of a race. I found the article interesting, thanks for posting. I'm not sure if it correlates with endurance athletes, since it studied strength/power athletes, but it is food for thought.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You got this! I look forward to hearing your opinion of the day in retrospect.

I'll try to remember to post something after my next lesson, or perhaps sparring.

Fantastic. You know this will make the next hurdle a little shorter. Congratulations.

I've got a few 5K road races lined up this year again. It will be interesting to see how they go! I'm going to try to shed some more weight, certainly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you told them to lighten up. People shouldn't just let people act like idiots. Anytime I've had that I've told them to take it easy and if they don't listen I refuse to work with them. I'm not going myself injured just for some idiots ego
I've been fortunate that most of the times that has happened, I was the more skilled in the pair, and could control the situation (with a bit of "correction" where needed). I did have one training partner who was far senior to me at a time I wasn't my most confident - I probably could have controlled more than I did, but he was just an ***.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other words, "blah, blah, blah, great race!!"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That happens.

A it of science for you.

I wish there was a "curious" rating. That's just weird, though I can think of a few things that seem to have a similar effect.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll try to remember to post something after my next lesson, or perhaps sparring.

I've got a few 5K road races lined up this year again. It will be interesting to see how they go! I'm going to try to shed some more weight, certainly.
Enjoy, man. I miss distance running.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Enjoy, man. I miss distance running.

I am not, nor have I ever been, built like a distance runner. I came out of Basic Training at 183 lbs at 5'11 and was gaunt. I came back from my last deployment in great shape, weighing a bit over 200lbs. I'm built more like a football player than a runner. My daughter that ran cross country insists I run distances just to spite genetics. I won't say she's wrong! When I'm in shape though, I do enjoy it, regardless. OK, I enjoyed this past race despite not being in what I would consider good running shape. Maybe I ran a good time just to spite the negatives I mentioned...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That’s awesome, Doc! Good for you, nice job.

Latest Discussions