Thoughts for a style please....

K

Kris

Hi all,

My first post so thought i would say 'Hi' to start with.

I'm sorry this is probably a topic you get all the time, but i really have no idea where to start looking for info.

I'm interested in learning a new style, i currently do Muay Thai/Kickboxing and have found it to be great fun, but i have, due to recent experiences, become aware that there are some short comings in this style. I'm looking for a style that is fairly complimentary to what i have already learnt, i.e. i'm looking for a 'soft' style that uses lots of throws, joint locks etc as the kickboxing covers the 'hard' style well enough for me.

One of my friends said i should look into Kempo/Kenpo as it is a really good practical style, thoughts?

The other style is was considering was some form of Jujutsu or Ninjutsu. I want a practical style that can be used for those situations where you just want to drop someone who say grabs you from behind in a headlock.......as happened recently.......so you can regain the initiative.

Any suggestions or theories?

Cheers

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm slightly biased because I study Kenpo but I personally feel that it's one of the best systems for self-defense/street-fighting. The techniques are designed to counter many of the common attacks you will encounter on the street including grabs, locks, and chokes etc. I researched several systems before I decided to study Kenpo. I chose Kenpo because I feel that it is a very "well-rounded" system that incorporates some of the "soft" techniques (locks, takedowns etc) with "hard-style" techniques and basics.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something along the lines of Small Circle JJ or Aikido would probably be a good start for you.

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silats, Ju Jitsu's, Tai Chi (w/combat applications), I think would be good fits.

Aikido might pose some challenges because of the upright posture. Your Thai training has engrained a fighter's crouch, tough to break as a habit.

Paul M.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kris said:
Hi all,

I'm sorry this is probably a topic you get all the time, but i really have no idea where to start looking for info.

. . .

Cheers
Kris,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

No need to apologize, for asking a questions. This is what it is all about.

As to suggestions and theories, I would suggest that you find an instructor that you feel comfortable, and a style that fits your needs.

:asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with these suggestions, possible aikido, small circle JJ, even a fighting oriented practice of a CMA such as tai chi or if I may, mantis kung fu. Anything that incorporates the joint locks, throws, and close fighting. In mantis we fight very close with lots of throws, elbows and takedowns. Very effective for street defense.

Whatever you choose, try the classes first, talk to the students, get good info before making your mind up. Also, visit different styles as well, as many as are in your area to get a good feel for what will work best for you.

7sm

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
welcome to martial talk...personally, i would look for a chinese system. for street-wise self-defense, id go with any CMA school that teaches fundamental chin-na. if you were looking for more of an "internal" MA, try tai chi. Parker Kenpo is a nice style for a technique based, modern fight scenario, but lacks in ground defense. if i had an aikido school near me, thats what id go with... :asian:

OP
M

markulous

If there is a school near you, try Combat Hapkido. That will definately be a compliment to your muay thai.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kris said:
Hi all,

I'm interested in learning a new style, i currently do Muay Thai/Kickboxing and have found it to be great fun, but i have, due to recent experiences, become aware that there are some short comings in this style. I'm looking for a style that is fairly complimentary to what i have already learnt, i.e. i'm looking for a 'soft' style that uses lots of throws, joint locks etc as the kickboxing covers the 'hard' style well enough for me.

One of my friends said i should look into Kempo/Kenpo as it is a really good practical style, thoughts?

The other style is was considering was some form of Jujutsu or Ninjutsu. I want a practical style that can be used for those situations where you just want to drop someone who say grabs you from behind in a headlock.......as happened recently.......so you can regain the initiative.

Cheers
My first thought is to suggest a groundwork style such as judo or Jiu jitsu; however, if you thinking of studying a striking art again then I wouldn't be looking for a name on a sign. You need only read a few Kenpo posts on this site to realize that it will be different from school to school, even if the name is the same. Walk in the door and take a few lessons. If a little voice in the back of your head screams "get out!", then you should do so. I would pay attention to how frequently the instructor bad mouths other systems as well. Ask yourself if you want to sound like that in five years.
sean

OP
M

moving target

I would suggest an MMA school. A lot if not most MMA schools have a heavy grappling base and incorporate striking so your MT experience would fit right in. Usualy MMA schools are oriented in large part around a sport or semi sport atmosphere which has some advantages and disadvantages.

If you are more interested in self deffence than in fighting than maybe a diffrent school would suit you better but the atmosphere in a MMA school may be more akin to your MT school (most MT schools I have seen (and am aware of through people I have practiced with) have at leaste some emphasis on competitions).

OP
G

Gary Crawford

Kris,I could suggest all kind of styles for you as many already have,but let me suggest something different.First,you have to be practical.Go and check out evey school in a reasonable distance for you to train at regularly, get a feel for the instructors and students.I have my preference as to styles,but if those styles are availible but I don't have a good feeling for those peticular schools,then I would widen my prospects until I found a SCHOOL that I liked.All styles have at least some good values

OP
K

Kris

Okay, thanks for the help so far!

I've had a hunt and basically these are the schools that are in the local directory. I know what you are saying about visiting them before making decisions but is there any of the style that might be more applicable to what i'm after?

Iga Ryu Nin-jutsu
Hapkido (whats the difference between this and 'Combat Hapkido'?)
Jhung Nan Internal Style Kung Fu
Taekido
Sakura Ju Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu jitsu
Combat Kempo (Once again is the 'Combat' just an advertising stunt or is it different?)

My only other question is what are all these different jutsu's/jitsu's? whats the difference in the styles?

Cheers

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't go for another striking based style at all if I was looking for ways to get out of holds. (I do TKD, and know how to get out of the hold you mentioned, Kris, but I wouldn't put it as first as a style to learn to get out of holds since the focus is on striking ultimately. TKD can compiment MT nicely, but not for what you're primarially looking for at the moment.) Most styles have 'em in some form or another, but something like Judo, JJ, HKD, wrestling etc that tends to center on them more probably has higher percentage stuff and a better series of contingencies compared to a style that considers grappling a secondary application.

As for your list, just what I've heard eavesdropping on various forums etc:

Hapkido (whats the difference between this and 'Combat Hapkido'?)

HKD's a fairly diverse art that usually covers grappling, striking, weapons etc. CHKD is a new variation that supposedly removes the fluff to get to the nitty gritty. (Most HKD practitioners tend to disagree with this.)

Sakura Ju Jitsu
Brazilian Jiu jitsu

In general, Japanese Ju Jitsu and HKD have a lot in common. Lots of joint locks, takedowns etc. BJJ differs in that it spends a lot of its focus dealing with what you do once you get your attacker/opponent down vs controlling a standing opponent with wristlocks and the like.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
i think anything like Jujitsu, Ninjitsu would be good as both incorporate strikes, locks and holds. Jujutsu is good because it provides ways of escaping!
But there are some very good styles of Kung Fu that include locks and counters and I think some other posts have mentioned Hapkido and and wrestling! A lot of these styles use strikes as a setup for a throw so its all linked!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, it depends on the instructor. That having been said, Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu would certainly complement your current studies well; Sakura Ju-Jitsu and Hapkido would likely be good choices too (I assume that Sakura Ju-Jitsu is fairly general Japanese Jujutsu).

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Since you're looking for a softer style, I won't recommend Kenpo which is my base art, and a hard art with softer moments :). I would suggest Systema, one of the Russian martial arts, if it's available in your area. It utilizes natural movement and can be personalized to be as hard or as soft as you'd like it. It has been compared to Aikido. It's not that widespread, so if you can't find it, I'd go with a form of jiu jitsu. I've been exposed to small-circle- and aiki- varieties. Both are good.

Latest Discussions