CrossTraining

Alfhacke

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently train in traditional and atemi jujitsu and want something to cross train in to round my style a bit. I did kickboxing when I was younger and was thinking about starting again, I have also looked at tae kwon do.
Would someone be able to suggest something that would fit nicely with my jujitsu? I know I've done kickboxing before but I'm open minded and would like to try something new.
Thanks in advance

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at the schools within the range you are willing to regularly travel for training, find out how much they cost and what their schedule is, then go visit them. Their fee needs to fit your budget, and their schedule of classes needs to fit your schedule.

Those are the options available to you. If someone suggests a system that has no schools in your area, it does you no good because you cannot go to that school.

If you can provide a list of methods that fit the above criteria, perhaps people here can help you understand and evaluate how they approach their training.

Ultimately though, you need to visit the schools and decide which is the best for you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I currently train in traditional and atemi jujitsu and want something to cross train in to round my style a bit. I did kickboxing when I was younger and was thinking about starting again, I have also looked at tae kwon do.
Would someone be able to suggest something that would fit nicely with my jujitsu? I know I've done kickboxing before but I'm open minded and would like to try something new.
Thanks in advance
My view is that almost any cross-training can be beneficial. Some folks see conflicts between styles, but I do not.

So, follow what @Flying Crane says above. Find a nearby school that’s convenient, affordable, and seems interesting to you.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My view is that almost any cross-training can be beneficial. Some folks see conflicts between styles, but I do not.

So, follow what @Flying Crane says above. Find a nearby school that’s convenient, affordable, and seems interesting to you.
Agreed. People can get hung up on wanting to pick the “best” system or the “perfect” complement to what they are already doing.

Well, there is no such thing.

There is, however, a difference in what school might be a better match for an individual person. Teaching style, learning style, personality, etc., can make a huge difference. So, visit the schools, go with the one that feels “right” to you.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My view is as it has nearly always been. Jack of all trades, master of none. You don't have enough time in your life to master even one style. Find what suits you and train it. You don't need anything else.

Everybody wants the next best thing. The best thing is to keep training. Boring, right? But that's what it is.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My view is as it has nearly always been. Jack of all trades, master of none. You don't have enough time in your life to master even one style. Find what suits you and train it. You don't need anything else.

Everybody wants the next best thing. The best thing is to keep training. Boring, right? But that's what it is.
My view is that depends what your goal is. I want to get better at using it my primary art, and every time I visit another art, my NGA application improves. The more I cross-train, the better I seem to get. I think some of that is learning style, so wouldn't expect the same type of result for everyone.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is something I've often thought about. Stick with a style, and you will be better at that style. If your goal is to master a style, you might need more than a lifetime.

Yet if your goal is to become the best FIGHTER you can be, I don't think this holds true. I don't think any one style covers all the bases this goal requires be covered.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My view is that depends what your goal is. I want to get better at using it my primary art, and every time I visit another art, my NGA application improves. The more I cross-train, the better I seem to get. I think some of that is learning style, so wouldn't expect the same type of result for everyone.

In your example, I think I can understand that. But what we so often see are the students with a year or two of X under their belts, and now they want to learn Y for a year or two, then maybe some Z. They only think they have learned X, they haven't scratched the surface yet. But they don't know what they don't know, it's not their fault. And in this world of instant gratification, nobody seems to want to stay the course anymore. Perseverance is what matters. My opinion.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is something I've often thought about. Stick with a style, and you will be better at that style. If your goal is to master a style, you might need more than a lifetime.

Yet if your goal is to become the best FIGHTER you can be, I don't think this holds true. I don't think any one style covers all the bases this goal requires be covered.

Well that's a good point. I sometimes forget that some do not want o master a style, they have different goals. If you're an MMA guy, I guess it makes sense to get training in many different styles. That's not my thing, but OK, I see that now. Good points.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look at the schools within the range you are willing to regularly travel for training, find out how much they cost and what their schedule is, then go visit them. Their fee needs to fit your budget, and their schedule of classes needs to fit your schedule.

Those are the options available to you. If someone suggests a system that has no schools in your area, it does you no good because you cannot go to that school.

If you can provide a list of methods that fit the above criteria, perhaps people here can help you understand and evaluate how they approach their training.

Ultimately though, you need to visit the schools and decide which is the best for you.
This right here. I read it and asked myself if I wrote it, as I’ve said more or less the same thing a bunch of times.

You said it more articulately than I typically do though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks in advance
How long have you been training for?
Find out what’s available locally and visit. If you’ve been in MA for long enough, you know what to look for in a school - teaching style, training partners, etc.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to train the cross, go take boxing classes. They have a better understanding of the cross than anyone.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to train the cross, go take boxing classes. They have a better understanding of the cross than anyone.
After reading your post, I’d suggest seminary. No one knows the cross like clergy. Theoretically, anyway.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
After reading your post, I’d suggest seminary. No one knows the cross like clergy. Theoretically, anyway.

A police officer scolded me for jaywalking once. So I guess he's a master of footwork for this technique, with the cross-walk.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks in advance

Training numerous styles can be beneficial or detrimental depending on your approach. How long have you been training in Atemi-Jujitsu? Having a decent base in one style is helpful when adding another style into your training. I would suggest analyzing your training to identify what you could benefit the most from adding. For example, if your jujitsu class doesn't have a lot of conditioning then look for another class that is more conditioning focused. My understanding of Atemi jujitsu is it has a bit of everything(correct me if I'm wrong), though this may vary from school to school. What technical aspects do you feel your jujitsu class neglects the most?

I would suggest trying out the classes around and see which one has the most to offer you.

Latest Discussions