Thoughts and Suggestions on Kickstarting this Forum?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thoughts and Suggestions on Kickstarting this Forum? I'm the new moderator here and I'd like to see this section active again. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. If you are knowledgeable in Western Martial Arts, I definitely would appreciate your help here! If you are new to Western Martial Arts - why not ask some questions? We'd love to help you get started. Thanks all!

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Johnathan: I thought this forum was moving along rather well. It seems to me that what is being discussed here would fall into the category of American Martial arts because of the origin of some of the topics and arts that migrated to this country. What I like about it (although I don't post much here) is it is not dominated necessarily by the Medieval or Rennaissance arts. There seems to be lots of discussion that run through the centuries. Some of the Celtic and 19th Century boxing plus stick fighting is always welcome. One can get all the Longsword and Rapier discussions on some of the other great sites this one seems to be filling in the gaps.
I definitely would not put anything Asian or Western off limits for discussion. Just let the thing flow and see where it takes you.

Best
Dwight

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know that I could be more active in this forum. The problem is I do have limited time, so starting threads and directing discussions is something I can't do right now.

But Western Arts is a large part of what I do. One of our staple program is Bare-knuckle boxing based. We are heavily influenced by WWII combatives, western knife fighting, and fencing (mainly sabre).

So, I am interested in taking part in discussions. I'll keep my eye out to participate in threads more often... :)

Paul

P.S. It is very fortunate for us to have Mr. McLemore (I see you just posted sir :) ) a part of this forum. As you might know, he is a prolific writer and a very knowledgable pioneer when it comes to Western Methods. Mr. Pete Kautz is also a member here, and although not as active on the forum as Dwight, and he has a lot to bring to the table as well. Maybe if it was mutually beneficial for these gentlemen, you could find a way to tap into them as a resource? Maybe a monthy "Ask Dwight" or "ask Pete" column or something? :idunno: I don't know....something to think about though, eh? :D

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dwight McLemore said:
Johnathan: I thought this forum was moving along rather well. It seems to me that what is being discussed here would fall into the category of American Martial arts because of the origin of some of the topics and arts that migrated to this country. What I like about it (although I don't post much here) is it is not dominated necessarily by the Medieval or Rennaissance arts. There seems to be lots of discussion that run through the centuries. Some of the Celtic and 19th Century boxing plus stick fighting is always welcome. One can get all the Longsword and Rapier discussions on some of the other great sites this one seems to be filling in the gaps.
I definitely would not put anything Asian or Western off limits for discussion. Just let the thing flow and see where it takes you.

Best
Dwight

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I too am glad that it is not dominated by Rennaissance and Medieval arts. BTW, I am glad to have you here and would be interested in any thread you start.

Thanks as well, Paul - your input is appreciated.

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Please don't start some "Ask Dwight" forum. I'm honored you considered me, but as you can tell from my erratic posts, I really don't have the time to be doing that on a regular basis. There are a lot more people out there with better qualifications than I who would be more than glad to help. Just as Pete, my primary WMA focus is on the 18th & 19th Century. The reason I'm seen fooling around with Rennaissance & Medieval techniques is because those were the core fighting skills that came to this country during the early colonization period. Like so many writers, I'm not a true expert on some of this history I have a great group of students that work full time at Historic Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. I am an idiot without their guidance and help. I,m sure Pete's time is limited to because he does this martial arts business full time but I'm sure a question now and then would not hurt anyone. While I'm at it (time for a shameless plug) a lot of my time is taken up with a new book called Dancing with Steel which deals with some Korean sword work that was tied to a custom made sword I had made by Tom Maringer over a decade ago. My daughter thought it wise to get all those notes and things down on paper before I get too old and the rocking chair becomes more attractive than a blade. So I'm working on it now. We are in the middle of doing one day monthly seminars at my home on the Bowie Knife so anyone that wants to come to those just drop me a private email. This seminar is documenting the complete Bowie curriculum that I developed over the years with the help of some really good people. ( BTW these are no fee seminars) We are capturing it with DVD and on paper and will probably become The Bowie Training Guide. That's about it.

Best
Dwight

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dwight McLemore said:
Please don't start some "Ask Dwight" forum. I'm honored you considered me, but as you can tell from my erratic posts, I really don't have the time to be doing that on a regular basis. There are a lot more people out there with better qualifications than I who would be more than glad to help. Just as Pete, my primary WMA focus is on the 18th & 19th Century. The reason I'm seen fooling around with Rennaissance & Medieval techniques is because those were the core fighting skills that came to this country during the early colonization period. Like so many writers, I'm not a true expert on some of this history I have a great group of students that work full time at Historic Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. I am an idiot without their guidance and help. I,m sure Pete's time is limited to because he does this martial arts business full time but I'm sure a question now and then would not hurt anyone. While I'm at it (time for a shameless plug) a lot of my time is taken up with a new book called Dancing with Steel which deals with some Korean sword work that was tied to a custom made sword I had made by Tom Maringer over a decade ago. My daughter thought it wise to get all those notes and things down on paper before I get too old and the rocking chair becomes more attractive than a blade. So I'm working on it now. We are in the middle of doing one day monthly seminars at my home on the Bowie Knife so anyone that wants to come to those just drop me a private email. This seminar is documenting the complete Bowie curriculum that I developed over the years with the help of some really good people. ( BTW these are no fee seminars) We are capturing it with DVD and on paper and will probably become The Bowie Training Guide. That's about it.

Best
Dwight

No problem with your "shameless plug". I would like purchase info. for myself when your DVD is finished and becomes available.

BTW, your post reminds me that there is so much to the non-asian martial arts that it is a shame that Western disciplines have been so eclipsed by the East.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
As I recall, we used to have separate forums for boxing and fencing on MT, in which we had some very good discussions, but they were deleted due to lack of interest. If those old threads have been archived, maybe the more interesting ones could be moved here. That might spark some discussion.

You could also get one of those organizations that practices European Renaissance martial arts to put a link to MT somewhere on their website.

Then there's the easy way. Just start a thread here about why Western martial arts are superior to Eastern ones. Be sure to name the inferior Eastern arts, like Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, Kenpo, Okinawan Te, and even include Mixed Martial Arts. If that doesn't attract posters, nothing will. :EG:

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
As I recall, we used to have separate forums for boxing and fencing on MT, in which we had some very good discussions, but they were deleted due to lack of interest. If those old threads have been archived, maybe the more interesting ones could be moved here. That might spark some discussion.

You could also get one of those organizations that practices European Renaissance martial arts to put a link to MT somewhere on their website.

Great suggestions! Will start work on them.

OP
J

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
What? You didn't like my third suggestion? ;)

Actually, I did - then I remembered that I'm a probationary moderator. :whip:

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My Friend you sure 'nailed that one' talk about controversy and the right 'button' to push.

Best Dwight

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, one last point. Most of us associated with the WMA have a core martial art that is Asian or boxing. Fencing background are also prevelant. I don't we ever leave that core art and really don't ever bash it. Let me go straighten my Gi.
Best
Dwight

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dwight McLemore said:
Hey, one last point. Most of us associated with the WMA have a core martial art that is Asian or boxing. Fencing background are also prevelant. I don't we ever leave that core art and really don't ever bash it. Let me go straighten my Gi.
Best
Dwight

This is true. Asian arts have been a great help to me. I couldn't really participate in a thread that was focused on bashing asian arts, even as much as I love Western systems.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
.....Which brings up another point.

Controversy can be good to bring traffic, but anything "bashing" or "flamey" is not going to attract professionals in the business with well informed opinions. Generally, professionals don't even go to forums because of all of the bashing that occurs on them as a whole. I see value in some of the forums, particularly MT because this is my "internet home" so to speak in that I was here in that first year of its existance (I think), but people who have known me for awhile know that since I started my business,, they can attest that I try to stay away from negative threads, and "food fights" and such much more then I did before. It just isn't good to be a part of those things as a professional as they can be very counterproductive.

Just a thought... :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Thoughts and Suggestions on Kickstarting this Forum? I'm the new moderator here and I'd like to see this section active again. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. If you are knowledgeable in Western Martial Arts, I definitely would appreciate your help here! If you are new to Western Martial Arts - why not ask some questions? We'd love to help you get started. Thanks all!
this marketing tool is too old. you have to knock on your customer's doors now.
what i do all the time is go online/books and read on a topic then place controversial quotes or questions i have.. some of these get good hits, and some of the posts do not get any hits
g'luck

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can think of a few good quotes from my library that may help jumpstart a conversation or two.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think that Grappling and MMA should be moved to this area. Both of those forums describe Western Martial arts IMO. Sure, some asian martial arts grapple, but in those forums, much of the information is also coming from Wrestling which is also a Western Martial Art.

Latest Discussions