Thought I'd share this.. WT Tripod stuff..

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's just a 30 second clip or so.. but I thought it was.. well interesting.. was curious to get some feedback. lol,.. I see this one causing a bit o controversy possibly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9lkMGwVS_c&playnext_from=TL&videos=xQczb_yE44o

I like the snippet of working the tripodial dummy. Now the empty hand sequence may raise some eyebrows, especially the pivoting movement, where he turns his back to his opponent and appears to take the "long way" around. But on a second look, it seems like he is responding to a neck or shoulder pull by his opponent, which initiates his pivot. In that case he has no choice but to either spin with the energy he receives, or to oppose it. All the good WC/WT/VT I've seen says "borrow the force" or "go with the energy". And if that is what's happening, then the movement makes sense.

Anyway, that's why I don't like to talk trash about clips taken out of context... It's often hard to see what's really going on... unless you find some real garbage. That's another story.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I liked the tripodial dummy bit as well , wouldn't mind a set myself.
On first glance at the next sequence I thought what the hell is he doing turning around , but on repeated viewing I noticed that he was being pulled in that direction.

His response was correct in going with the force and using it to enhance his own counter attack.
The only thing I would have done differently is that instead of passing my first arm over the partners head I would have side slashed the guy in the throat.

CRCAVirginia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a tri-pod dummy that I built out of pvc. I cemented larger diameter tubes in the ground and placed smaller longer tubes inside. They are strong and provide a flexible target. I agree that he was pulled and went with the pull. He is adapting to the situation.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I set up a tripodal dummy and have been messing around with it some. My Si-Fu said he would show me some drills on it he had seen in HK. Can't wait.

That video reminds me of something my old si-sok said once, "in WT we never spin, and when we do we spin quickly"

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I set up a tripodal dummy and have been messing around with it some. My Si-Fu said he would show me some drills on it he had seen in HK. Can't wait.

That video reminds me of something my old si-sok said once, "in WT we never spin, and when we do we spin quickly"

The only common example of spinning around that I can think of in WT sub-system is one of the variations of "section two" of the WT chi-sau training sets in which you go through several variations of dissolving and countering an arm grapple using side gum-sau, shoulder punch, etc. If you react too late, and your opponent succeeds in turning you around and getting your arm in a "chicken-wing" behind your back, one option involves borrowing his force and continuing the turn on through, using a rear gum-sau followed by a pair of "hacking-elbows" to the neck. A very dynamic response to an "Oh-sh**" situation. I believe variations of this are still used in LT's WT and EBMAS as well as in in the branch I study.

OP
Nabakatsu

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I know all of those variations geezer, learned em in 2nd level, around the 6 month mark.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only common example of spinning around that I can think of in WT sub-system is one of the variations of "section two" of the WT chi-sau training sets in which you go through several variations of dissolving and countering an arm grapple using side gum-sau, shoulder punch, etc. If you react too late, and your opponent succeeds in turning you around and getting your arm in a "chicken-wing" behind your back, one option involves borrowing his force and continuing the turn on through, using a rear gum-sau followed by a pair of "hacking-elbows" to the neck. A very dynamic response to an "Oh-sh**" situation. I believe variations of this are still used in LT's WT and EBMAS as well as in in the branch I study.

Same here, but I haven't seen all the wooden dummy chi sau sections yet, and like I said, still waiting on the tripodal, so there may be some examples there.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Fine vid. Working on any kicking dummy can only help. Nothing wrong with the spin. Don't think anyone would think spinning is a standard movement but but you never know what can happen in a fight or what position you may find yourself in. Better to train something you will never use than to find yourself in a position where something unorthodox may have saved your bacon if you only had trained that reaction.

Latest Discussions