Thomas the Pregnant Man

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know... the title is a tad odd - but it appears to be a real situation. Thomas is a transgendered man who was originally a woman; his wife is unable to bear more children due to endometriosis, so using artificial insemination, they decided to have Thomas bear their child. The story is here.

This is, undoubtedly, a truly unusual, and, at the moment, unique situation; however, it brings up a question. I understand the desire to have one's own children; however, there are uncounted children who need to be adopted. In light of those children, should people be going to this level of technology to have children of their own, or should they be investigating adoption (or fostering) of one or more of these needy children?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Could that be looked at like two lesbians wanting to have a baby through artificial insemination, and one of them can't bring a baby to term, so the other one artificially inseminates herself?

I see the validity in adopting, but I think it should be applied to all people who are able to procreate via any means. It's still a choice between having your own baby, or adopting.

That's like saying "John and Kate Plus Eight" should have adopted instead of taking fertility medicine.

OP
Kacey

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could that be looked at like two lesbians wanting to have a baby through artificial insemination, and one of them can't bring a baby to term, so the other one artificially inseminates herself?

I see the validity in adopting, but I think it should be applied to all people who are able to procreate via any means. It's still a choice between having your own baby, or adopting.

That's like saying "John and Kate Plus Eight" should have adopted instead of taking fertility medicine.
Actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. With so many children in need of parents - should people be spending thousands, tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars on fertility treatments instead of adopting?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been discussed on other threads. It turns out that it's not the first time this has happened. It's just the first time it's gotten its fifteen minutes of fame. From what I remember the babies in the other cases did not suffer any recorded ill effects from the extra dose of male hormones in utero.

A "Freakshow"? Archangel, most people's lives would be "freakshows" if you held them up to a hostile public, yours and mine included. If you don't like the couple and their baby nobody will make you kiss them. But as long as they care for the kid competently whatever else they do "neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg".

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Didnt say crucify them or boil them in oil or start a petition to my congressman. my opinion is my own take it or stuff it. In my opinion all these "alternate family"-force them down the mainstream- situations are a freakshow. If they are all obeying our laws, Im not interested in pillorying anybody, but I dont like it.

So there. Im not picking your pocket or breaking your leg with my opinion.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, that's exactly what I'm saying. With so many children in need of parents - should people be spending thousands, tens of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars on fertility treatments instead of adopting?

That is just about as personal a question and undeniable a right as a couple can have. As far as it goes it costs "thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars" to adopt. And some people, like my wife and I, simply can't adopt. The Church-based agencies won't look at you if you're the wrong flavor. The others don't want to do business with mixed-race families.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If it were my choice, then no. I'd rather adopt.

But in terms of people in general... well, I'm going to start with the American people in general, then no. They have a choice too. As long as they are able to take care of a child to adulthood whether it be by natural birth or adoption, I see no problem in having the choice.

Personally, I think we should all stop procreating, let a few generations die off to get the planet back in order and leave whoever is left to form a Utopian society that will eventually establish human life on other planets in order to increase our existence in the universe... ;P

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know... the title is a tad odd - but it appears to be a real situation. Thomas is a transgendered man who was originally a woman; his wife is unable to bear more children due to endometriosis, so using artificial insemination, they decided to have Thomas bear their child. The story is here.

This is, undoubtedly, a truly unusual, and, at the moment, unique situation; however, it brings up a question. I understand the desire to have one's own children; however, there are uncounted children who need to be adopted. In light of those children, should people be going to this level of technology to have children of their own, or should they be investigating adoption (or fostering) of one or more of these needy children?

This one keeps popping up in the news because it keeps getting reported as "Man Becomes Pregnant" as though the natural laws have been turned on their head. But that's not the case. Gender transformation is only cosmetic. No one took out this woman's uterus and ova and replaced them with testes. Its simply a case of a woman, who looks like a man, having a baby.

It would seem more responsible to spend all that money on raising a child who is already with us, than producing another one. The truly greatest problem facing humanity today is overpopulation, almost every other problem can be traced back to there just being too many of us. But adoption runs counter to our biology which demands that we pass on our unique contribution rather than nuturing someone elses. I would have liked to have seen them adopt, but, ultimately, its their decision.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a man

Is this a man?
niamh.jpg

She never had a surgery or took a hormone in her life. Yet, a genetic test would show she is in fact male - XY genotype.

Biology must make you very uncomfortable. No hard and fast categories.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is pretty hard for a a non-typical family to adopt, from what I have heard. So for them maybe this was the only option? Personally I think its a bit odd having a male carry a child but if he still has the female parts why not?

Adoption is a good thing when you can jump through all the hoops to do it... but its not an easy process and many are not "qualified" and i find that very odd given the amount of "unwanted" children out there... but its not me who makes the rules.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is pretty hard for a a non-typical family to adopt, from what I have heard. So for them maybe this was the only option? Personally I think its a bit odd having a male carry a child but if he still has the female parts why not?

Adoption is a good thing when you can jump through all the hoops to do it... but its not an easy process and many are not "qualified" and i find that very odd given the amount of "unwanted" children out there... but its not me who makes the rules.

Actaully, there are some guys who put themselves through what there pregnant wives go through. They eat salt at night to have morning sickness, put on a weight vest (and add weight every day or so), and so on. However, if they stop doing these things, there body might actually think they are pregnant! Breasts swell, continued morning sickness, weight gain, you see where I'm going with this.
Why? Every human is at first a woman. The female is the template, but after a few months, male hormones may be injected creating a man! This is based on either XX or XY. But, things go wrong (like the lady above). This process also explains why men have nipples, and mamary tissue (also know as what makes a boob a boob)

Also, that "chick" is hot! That she's geneticlly a man confuses me, and makes wounder about myself....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is this a man?
niamh.jpg

She never had a surgery or took a hormone in her life. Yet, a genetic test would show she is in fact male - XY genotype.

Biology must make you very uncomfortable. No hard and fast categories.
Not who or what we are talking about.
How many legs has a dog if you call the tail a leg?
Four, calling the tail a leg doesn't make it one. Nor, is the lesbian who is having the baby a man.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
AMEN!! Thousands, perhaps millions world wide are without both parents. Just because the child isn't your blood does NOT mean it won't need the same love and nurturing and a decent home that you can provide.
One of my brothers and his wife tried unsuccessfully to conceive a child of their own. They went through the pain of nearly 8 miscarriages over 11 years of marriage. Fertility tests for each. She just wasn't capable of carrying to term.

Finally they decided to become foster parents and that lead them to adopting 5 children for their own.

Something I think they should've done that years ago, even while still trying to conceive.

This story about the woman who is now a man doing what only a woman can is just... well someone else said it... a freak show. P.T. Barnum and Ripley would be proud.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't actually care what sex or who has a child as long as it's loved, wanted and looked after. We've had several situations here where a so called normal family of a male father and a female mother have neglected, beaten or killed their children. A small girl starved to death and her siblings taken into care after her so called normal parents neglected them, a mother stabbed three of her children, two died one is fighting for it's life, a father through himseld off a roof with his two children, killing one of them and sadly not himself. I could go on.
In this country it's proving imposssible to adopt now, they won't allow mixed race adoptions, you can't adopt if you are middle class or earn too much, or smoke or are what they consider overweight more and more people wanting to adopt are looking to China and other countries.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/femai...al-workers-said-middle-class-white-adopt.html

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion all these "alternate family"-force them down the mainstream- situations are a freakshow.

Have you ever taken the time to rationally think about this opinion? It's brutal, oppressive, ultimately cowardly because you just so happen to belong to part of a big group and somehow you feel entitled to wag your finger at others who are different.

Think about it. You called a family a freakshow. These are people who are raising children just like mine and are just trying to be happy with who they are. Why does this inspire violence in you? Why do you feel the need to bully them? Have you considered that their might be "alternative" family members on this site? Why do you want to hurt people?

You may think that you are entitled to have this opinion, that you somehow have the license to hurt others because you just so happen to belong to the majority, that you can say whatever you want. Fine.

So, here's my opinion...

You called a family a freakshow. That's a horrible thing to say to anyone.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tez3 -- multiracial adoptions are not allowed in England? Why?
Here in the states it seems just the opposite, anything goes, except that few people will take advantage of their freedom to adopt the available kids. I think ultimately that most couples don't want to admit that they want kids that "look like them".
Sad, really...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you ever taken the time to rationally think about this opinion? It's brutal, oppressive, ultimately cowardly because you just so happen to belong to part of a big group and somehow you feel entitled to wag your finger at others who are different.

Think about it. You called a family a freakshow. These are people who are raising children just like mine and are just trying to be happy with who they are. Why does this inspire violence in you? Why do you feel the need to bully them? Have you considered that their might be "alternative" family members on this site? Why do you want to hurt people?

You may think that you are entitled to have this opinion, that you somehow have the license to hurt others because you just so happen to belong to the majority, that you can say whatever you want. Fine.

So, here's my opinion...

You called a family a freakshow. That's a horrible thing to say to anyone.

Main Entry:
1freak
Pronunciation: \ˈfrēk\ Function: noun Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1563
3: one that is markedly unusual or abnormal: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/freak

Considering that the father/mother (not the family) qualifies under THAT definition and that the natural order of things... has been skewed because of personal preferences and choices... it's a freak show.
In a family where the MAN/MALE (who's been born as one) is the father and a WOMAN/FEMALE (who's been born as one) is the mother together combine to make a child ... I wouldn't call that freakish at all.

Latest Discussions