thinking of kung fu

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi! I'm thinking of starting kung fu in a couple of months. Can anyone tell me the difference between the northern and southern kung fu systems? How well do you like your kung fu? What weapons do u do?

Thanx!:partyon:

Becky

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If your interested in the Northern vs Southern distinction there is a good thread discussing them here... http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21888
Our search feature works very well (*hint* *hint*) :)

I love my style of kung fu, I have studied several other styles and I'll be training in 7 star mantis for the rest of my life. We practice many, many of the traditional weapons.

7sm

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hi! I'm thinking of starting kung fu in a couple of months. Can anyone tell me the difference between the northern and southern kung fu systems? How well do you like your kung fu? What weapons do u do?

Becky
I started Kung Fu just a few weeks ago. I can't tell you the difference between northern and southern but I can tell you how well I like it. I must admit I find it difficult, but endlessly fun. We also practice short staff as a foundation for sword basics and next month, I'll be working on some Monkey King Staff. Off the top of my head, the senior belts practice Spears, straight swords, cutlas, long axes, fans, 3 sectional staff, nunchaku and many other exotic and beautiful weapons. I love the Northern Long fist style that I practice for all the beautiful and complicated hand and arm work, flowering moves and stances that really challenge me. I would totally reccomend that if you have Kung Fu available to you then go for it! (Another thing, the uniforms are amazingly comfortable). :boing2:

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:

Becky
Well,

There can be differences like night and day or there can be alot that's alike.

did that make sense?
Eyecrazy.gif

Here's my .02cent from experience. I've done both northern and southern styles of CMA, and i've enjoyed both. When i was learning northern styles (N. Shaolin) i could not understand what ppl saw in southern styles (Hung Gar mainly). I thought they were boring, but now i must say i love southern ( i train in Black Tiger and Hung Fut), although Baji and Piqua are two northern styles i can see myself learning.

So you just have to find what you really enjoy doing and which fits your style better.

jeff:)

C

Crom

I love my hung kuen but there are so many styles of kung fu and varying quality teachers that's not really helpful. We do whatever weapons you choose when your ready but I've not been at this for too long so haven't started on any. Everyone studies the long staff first then the student gets to choose what they go onto next.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Crom said:
Everyone studies the long staff first then the student gets to choose what they go onto next.
Hmmmm

usually there's a certain progression in this staff,broad sword,etc.. it's usually for a reason also.

Even so it's usually the sifu which decides which weapon is taught next, but things could be changing?:idunno:

C

Crom

Black Tiger Fist said:
Hmmmm

usually there's a certain progression in this staff,broad sword,etc.. it's usually for a reason also.

Even so it's usually the sifu which decides which weapon is taught next, but things could be changing?:idunno:

Most people do learn the broad sword next but its not compulsory at my school.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stick or Broadsword are normally among the first taught at most schools, but if you have people that come in with previous CMA experience, they may be "forgiven" the normal route of training at times for things that fit their body better or that they are already adept with.

I know my sifu likes to normally go stick or broadsword for people first, but there have been occasions where it's something different based on body or performance ability or skill level.

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Stick or Broadsword are normally among the first taught at most schools, but if you have people that come in with previous CMA experience, they may be "forgiven" the normal route of training at times for things that fit their body better or that they are already adept with.

I know my sifu likes to normally go stick or broadsword for people first, but there have been occasions where it's something different based on body or performance ability or skill level.
Yeah, it's usually staff first to build your wrist and arms for broadsword, then after that a weapon that fits your body type.

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Usually southern styles tend to use punches and few low kicks for attacks. They also tend to move around a lot less and remain in nearly standing positions all the time. An example would be Wing Chun, or from movies Bruce Lee.

Northern styles tend to use high kicks and punching evenly for attacks. There is a lot more movement and many low to the ground stances. An example is Shaolin, or from movies something similar to Jet Lee. This is where you are more likely to learn the kung-fu weapons seen in the old Chinese martial arts movies.

These are not neccessaraly true because people have listed numerous exceptions to both these rules, more like steriotypes instead. I think you should change your question to suit your needs better and you may get better suited information. Some things to think about: Are you excessivly strong? excessivly quick? flexable? Do you want to learn high jumping spinning flashy kicks? Do you only want to learn what is effective in a street confrontation? Are you somewhat old and will an internal style like Tai Chi be better for you?

Also what are your reasons? To get into shape? To defend yourself on the street? Win in the UFC? Win forms competitions? A little of everything?

Try answering some of these questions and I'm sure you'll end up with more information then you could use.

Latest Discussions