Does anyone know anything about this school/system/teacher (s)?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It appears to be home spun from the outside.It may be ok for self defense, but I'd have a hard time going along with the CMA aspect of it.

How far are you from Madison?? You'd be better served checking this guy out for CMA if you're around there...

Zhong Yi Kung Fu Association - (608) 244-9336 - 2701 Atwood Ave, Madison, WI 53704

OP
ginshun

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Madison is about 170 miles south, so that isn't exactly convenient.

Hmmmm...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bummer... oh well...

Here's the history highlights on the stuff from the site you listed...

1. Claims to have descended from Northern & Southern Shaolin
  2. Chinese Kenpo
  3. Judo
  4. Background in Boxing
  5. Karate in military
Here's a non-biased take on it...
  1. Everything does. Few can back it up, fewer can trace their arts directly to Shaolin with concrete linege. Ask a couple of questions like "What styles?" or "Where did they learn?" or "What generation were(are) they" ...
  2. No such critter as "Chinese Kenpo". It's as much an oxymoron as "American Karate"
  3. Probably a pretty good bet there.
  4. Probably a pretty good bet there
  5. Lots of guys did that in their time in the services.
Like I said, it's probably pretty good for self defense & the like, but I have a hard time going with the CMA name they use. That's just me though...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
  1. No such critter as "Chinese Kenpo". It's as much an oxymoron as "American Karate"

Sort of... "Chuan-fa" is Kenpo pronounced different, same characters used to write it though.

Kenpo = Chuan fa, but as it moved out of the region the name "changed" to fit the language...

Note - I do not mean "American" kenpo

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Sort of... "Chuan-fa" is Kenpo pronounced different, same characters used to write it though.

Kenpo = Chuan fa, but as it moved out of the region the name "changed" to fit the language...

Your description is correct, but the use of the term "Chinese Kenpo" is incorrect. There's no such creature. That's why I likened it to "American Karate". There's no such creature.

Karate is specifically Japanese/Okinawan by language & creation. Just like Ken[m]po is Japanese/Okinawan by language. There's nothing Chinese about Ken[m]po except the written language (quan fa). They read the same characters (Chinese) in two (or more) languages with different pronunciations.

Here's a thread we had the same discussion on the ken[m]po/quan fa (Mis)interpretation on KFO ... http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35950&page=2&pp=15&highlight=pai+lum

R

RHD

clfsean said:
Your description is correct, but the use of the term "Chinese Kenpo" is incorrect. There's no such creature. That's why I likened it to "American Karate". There's no such creature.

Karate is specifically Japanese/Okinawan by language & creation. Just like Ken[m]po is Japanese/Okinawan by language. There's nothing Chinese about Ken[m]po except the written language (quan fa). They read the same characters (Chinese) in two (or more) languages with different pronunciations.

Here's a thread we had the same discussion on the ken[m]po/quan fa (Mis)interpretation on KFO ... http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35950&page=2&pp=15&highlight=pai+lum

Hi guys, haven't been here for a while.

Since I'm in Wisconsin and familliar with both Fu Chen and Zhong Yi, I feel compelled to comment.

I met with and exchanged a bit with Sifu Mike Christie from Fu Chen. All I can say is not bad. From what I gathered his stuff comes from Ark Y. Wong's material, diverged from the main AYW group several years back. His understanding of what he was doing, and his ability to apply passed my hands on tests. Cleary it is a Southern 5 animal variant, but with outside influences, much looser and quicker than my Hung Gar. Power was different, but he does suppliment with iron palm (on which I cannot comment). So maybe not pure system, but decent martial arts demonstrated. I have no idea how classes are run, or the quality of instruction. I also have to emphasize that I only met with this one of apparently, many sifu within this organization, and have no clue how good or bad the others are.

Zhong Yi on the other hand, Under the leadership of Sifu Nelson Ferriera, Is TOP NOTCH Bak Sil Lum taught traditionally, yet with a realistic viewpoint. Not only that, but these guys fight full contact Koushou rules and have plenty of trophies to back up their skills. I would highly recommend this school to anyone in the Madison area. If further out, it's definately worth the drive. Those that know me here, know I rarely would give such a stellar review, but I am impressed with Zhong Yi.

Mike

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

Not Quite!!

People with JMA backgrounds that try to tie into CMA like to bring that up.

Chuan Fa, Quan Fa, etc...Means fist method or way of fist..something like that, can't really remember right now too early.:uhyeah: But other than meaning the same in a couple of languages kempo/kenpo and Chuan Fa/Quan Fa look or move nothing alike.

So there is no such thing as Chinese Kenpo, Shaolin Kempo, Etc... But people use it to feed off the publics desire to learn chinese martial arts "Kung Fu"

jeff:)

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So, is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu an Oxymoron. :)

actually, Jiu Jitsu, the spelling of the way Potugese speakers proounce it, makes it Brasil. It has become a Brazilian word. Now, Brazilian Jujutsu doesnt seem correct. like American Karate.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
So, is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu an Oxymoron. :)

actually, Jiu Jitsu, the spelling of the way Potugese speakers proounce it, makes it Brasil. It has become a Brazilian word. Now, Brazilian Jujutsu doesnt seem correct. like American Karate.
You said it ... :wink:

SwedishChef

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think "Chinese Kenpo" is just what Prof Chow called his version of it...maybe because he was chinese. In any case a "pool table" is a table not a pool but we all know what it means when we hear it.