Thinking about a change

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After the Junior trails in Colorado this past week me and a few others where talking about the changes that was being done is it good for sport TKD or not. Well first off they really are not changes just rules finally being enforced.

The first rule was engaging after 10 seconds I like this it makes the competitors fight and just not stand there waiting to counter all the time it forces the action.

The next is competitor running out of the ring now if they leave it is a penalty and no more warnings, this I absolutely like, you can no longer run to avoid a kick.

Lastly is making the competitors all wear the right size chest protactor, this is also great because no one can wear a size one when they should be in a three, this makes the playing field the same for all competitors.

What are your thoughts on this?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
After the Junior trails in Colorado this past week me and a few others where talking about the changes that was being done is it good for sport TKD or not. Well first off they really are not changes just rules finally being enforced.

The first rule was engaging after 10 seconds I like this it makes the competitors fight and just not stand there waiting to counter all the time it forces the action.

The next is competitor running out of the ring now if they leave it is a penalty and no more warnings, this I absolutely like, you can no longer run to avoid a kick.

Lastly is making the competitors all wear the right size chest protactor, this is also great because no one can wear a size one when they should be in a three, this makes the playing field the same for all competitors.

What are your thoughts on this?

Wow!! I think those first to points you mentioned are excellent. Especially the 10 second rule. Are they going to use these same rule additions for the Olympics? I remember really being disappointed watching the '04 olympics when there would be maybe 6 kicks thrown the entire round (but a lot of bouncing and juking!). And if I was bored, I can't imagine how non-tkd'ers felt watching (of course, I doubt they were up at 3:00am watching anyway!). I think both of these changes (or rather enforcements as you said) will be great for the sport.

As far as wearing the right size chest protector, how is that decided? For example, I am 5'9 and 125lbs. I wear a size 4 dobok for the length, but only a size 2 hogu because I have a small frame. The hogu's spine protection covers my back completely and the wings sit right across the collar bones/shoulders as they are designed too. Do you have to wear the hogu that matches your dobok size, or is it something that is up to the discretion of the judges?
Also sir, did they use electronic hogus at the Juniors? I am just wondering if those are catching on or not. It seems great in theory, but I just wonder how they will really work out.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes the new rule are suppose to be used at the Olympics to help the image and making it more competitive.

As far as the Chest protectors they need to go to the hips froom the sides so if iy does not reach the hips it is the wrong size.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These sound like very simple & very needed items. Good stuff!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes the new rule are suppose to be used at the Olympics to help the image and making it more competitive.

As far as the Chest protectors they need to go to the hips froom the sides so if iy does not reach the hips it is the wrong size.

So does that means it is a length issue? Does it have to reach DOWN to the hips or reach AROUND to the hips?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So does that means it is a length issue? Does it have to reach DOWN to the hips or reach AROUND to the hips?

The bottom of the side of the chest protector needs to reach the hips. What has been happening is folks they can wear a four let say fit into a one this way the target area is amaller and gives them an advantage,

Latest Discussions