starting right

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if all the forms start turning to the left except for pyung won? Some start facing the center but ending turning to the left,koryo,kumkang ,basic one thru eight etc. all the best in the arts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bassai Dae starts to the front. As does Taegeuk Pal Jang (8). That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dunno, I just messed with my head a bit doing Taegeuk Il-Jang starting to the right with everything reversed. Also Il-Jang with no turns, stepping forward and back as needed with the arm motions. Maybe I'll try some other later :)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Try starting on the last move of a form and moving backwards to finish with the first move! That is always fun. :)

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Palgwe Oh Chung's first move starts as a step back, wide stance, and scissor block. Also Palgwe Chill Chung starts as a step forward. The other one's start going left.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many of the ITF's early Dan level forms do not start turning to the left. For example:
Kwan-Gae: step to the front
Po-eun: Steps to the left, but it is not a full turn
Gae-Baek: Retreats back a step
Eui-Am: Also retreats
Choong-Jang: slides to the right, though again, not a turn.

There are also several Tang Soo Do forms which do not:
Jin-Do, Bassai Dae (already mentioned), Nihanchin series does not really even have any turns, though it does start off with a leftward movement, I may be wrong, but I believe Rohai does not go left first.

e ship yuk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
An interesting thing about Bassai that was pointed out to me - it doesn't ever go to the left. Always to the front, rear, or right.

Chinto and sip soo both start to the front. Eshipsabo, too. Wanshu starts with a movement to the left, but an attack the front and/or right.

The simplest explanation of why so may of the lower level forms start that way is that most attacks are made with the right hand and thus come from the left side. I don't know I'd that's really why, but it makes sense.

Latest Discussions