Things about the martial fist

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was looking for answers, not more questions.

Or at the very least, answers and then more questions!
Only questions here. The questions help open up perspectives and helps bring awareness of things we may not be aware oh. You'll have to wait a little longer for the answers or maybe some will PM you with an answer.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only questions here. The questions help open up perspectives and helps bring awareness of things we may not be aware oh. You'll have to wait a little longer for the answers or maybe some will PM you with an answer.

I guess I don't really understand the exercise, then.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm asking for help where I only want the questions at the moment. See original post. The moment someone gives an answer will be the exact moment the questions will end, and the topic will stray. You can easily create a new thread with your question and then you can shift through the endless responses that you may get, which may or may not answer your question.

From an instructor's point of view or from the point of view of someone documenting their knowledge of martial arts, these questions are a big help, more so than the answers to the questions. Some of the questions presented, I would have never thought of. Now my documentation will be much better than it would have been, all thanks to the questions and that everyone is coming up with.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So are you going to share your documentation at some point?

And my experience in forums is a lot of people read the first post and respond to it only (I do this a lot, as well). So the questions end when people lose interest in asking questions, not when answers start.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So are you going to share your documentation at some point?
Yes.

So the questions end when people lose interest in asking questions, not when answers start.
Definitely not the standard here lol. Answers here just lead to other things. For example, I was asking for questions and now we are talking about if I will offer documentation and what goes on in Forums according to your experience.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thought of an important questions. That I never see

What type of "fist" injuries (injures to the fist or related to the flist) are there? What's the most common injury. Why does this injury happen? What do you do when the Injury happen? For example, I punch, I hurt my hand and feel a sharp pain. What do I do? Do I keep practicing? Do I put heat on it? What things should we avoid doing when treating a fist injury? I know that some of this will tip toe on the "legal risk areas." But things like this can be referenced.

What's the typical healing time for a broken hand? What the typical healing time for a busted knuckle? What is a busted knuckle?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
how to stop a fist from "angling."? Instead of the knuckles being flat they angle Is this genetic? Not sure if this makes sense but I see it more with women. Like this photo. I apologize for the size
womens-hands-two-fist-FEM7M1.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When is it ok to punch someone? When is it ok to use my MA skills (think fighting skills here)?

Where should I punch (or any other strike) someone? Where shouldn’t I?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
how to stop a fist from "angling."? Instead of the knuckles being flat they angle Is this genetic? Not sure if this makes sense but I see it more with women. Like this photo. I apologize for the size

This might go back into the question I was asking.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you help a student overcome the bad habits of keeping a loose fist and/or loose wrists?

This might go back into the question I was asking.

Can you give an example of what you mean in terms of loose fist? Is it a loose fist with correct fist structure or is it a loose fist with bad fist structure? For example, I can make a loose fist that I will tighten at the last second or open in the last second. Then there is the loose fist that is bad structure, so even if the person tightens the fist, they would still be hitting with an incorrect fist.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do fingernails affect the quality of a fist? How to determine that the finger nails are to long to make a proper fist? What is the best fist to use if you have long fingernails?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How hard should you hit heavy bags with your fist? How hard should you hit an attacker with your fist?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you give an example of what you mean in terms of loose fist? Is it a loose fist with correct fist structure or is it a loose fist with bad fist structure? For example, I can make a loose fist that I will tighten at the last second or open in the last second. Then there is the loose fist that is bad structure, so even if the person tightens the fist, they would still be hitting with an incorrect fist.

No, in regards to the two different ways to make a fist.

If I put my fingers into the center of my palm (basically following the Head Line in palmistry) and then tighten my hand around it to make a fist, it puts my pinky further back from the other fingers and makes a more angled punch. If I instead curl the fingers as tight as possible before curling them down onto my palm (where they rest over the Heart Line) then my knuckles are slightly straighter.

I think that nails affect this, as I think it's more comfortable to put longer nails into the crease of your hand than it is to dig your nails into the pad of your hand. Of course, we recommend students cut their nails anyway, so we don't scratch each other when we're practicing, and also so you don't have a nail bent back accidentally (I failed to follow this rule a month ago and ended up getting half my toenail ripped off when I performed a throw on someone else).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What should the wrist alignment be?
Are there differences with alignment in a vertical fist and a horizontal fist?
Does range create a need to change the alignment?
Do different types of gloves change the fist and wrist alignment and in what manner?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What should the wrist alignment be?
Are there differences with alignment in a vertical fist and a horizontal fist?
Does range create a need to change the alignment?
Do different types of gloves change the fist and wrist alignment and in what manner?

Similarly, do you always hit with the first 2 knuckles, or should you sometimes use the last 3 knuckles?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's using this thread as a place to find questions - it's fodder for his later use, program development stuff. As soon as an answer gets started, we'll all go down that rabbit hole...with me charging at the forefront.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
womens-hands-two-fist-FEM7M1.jpg
Crap. I have girl hands.

Reactions: pdg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do fingernails affect the quality of a fist? How to determine that the finger nails are to long to make a proper fist? What is the best fist to use if you have long fingernails?
One I haven't thought of (we keep all nails really short in grappling, of course). Definitely a concern for those who like longer nails (hands-conscious women and classical guitar players).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, in regards to the two different ways to make a fist.

If I put my fingers into the center of my palm (basically following the Head Line in palmistry) and then tighten my hand around it to make a fist, it puts my pinky further back from the other fingers and makes a more angled punch. If I instead curl the fingers as tight as possible before curling them down onto my palm (where they rest over the Heart Line) then my knuckles are slightly straighter.

I think that nails affect this, as I think it's more comfortable to put longer nails into the crease of your hand than it is to dig your nails into the pad of your hand. Of course, we recommend students cut their nails anyway, so we don't scratch each other when we're practicing, and also so you don't have a nail bent back accidentally (I failed to follow this rule a month ago and ended up getting half my toenail ripped off when I performed a throw on someone else).
I've been thinking about this since you posted it earlier. I'll PM you to continue some discussions.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One I haven't thought of (we keep all nails really short in grappling, of course). Definitely a concern for those who like longer nails (hands-conscious women and classical guitar players).

Unless your guitar teacher wants you using the pads of your fingers.

Latest Discussions