Theory Training

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many from the SKK or Karazenpo lineage have had training in various forms of martial arts theory, tactical theory?
Theory - How and why everything works.
Tactical Theory - How theory is/has been applied.

Note- there was supposted to be a poll with this thread.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do some of both, more of the theory than we do the tactics I think.

We look at why a technique works the way it does: which piece of it are critical to success, and which are variable; how it can adapt to a variety of situations; what principle does the technique exploit.

I'd like to get more into the tactical side, though. "get in close and stay there breaking him down until he stops fighting back" could probably be refined LOL

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand_Sword,
I'll use Jujitsu an an example,

Theory:
The understanding of the physics, kinesiology and leverage priciples involved that will make a certain jujitsu technique work.

Tactical Theory:
When to properly apply, into any given technique, this same jujitsu technique. This includes the proper lead in, execution of and finishing position.

The reason for my question, I was trying to find out what was being taught by Kempo/Kenpo organizations across the country. This question, to my knowledge, has not been addressed in any length on the forums that I visit. I know that each group has their own way and I respect it.

Note - on my first posting I meant to include the Kajukenbo, Kosho Ryu and Kara Ho groups.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we discuss theory quite a bit. i do not know how to teach a technique effectively without it. As for tactics we do not so much discuss them. SKK relies on flow heavily so you do what you do from wherever you are and there is usually a technique or part of one that can fit the situation. This we train. As for strategy well that could use more discussion

Marlon

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Hand_Sword,

Theory:
The understanding of the physics, kinesiology and leverage priciples involved that will make a certain jujitsu technique work.

Tactical Theory:
When to properly apply, into any given technique, this same jujitsu technique. This includes the proper lead in, execution of and finishing position.

The reason for my question, I was trying to find out what was being taught by Kempo/Kenpo organizations across the country. This question, to my knowledge, has not been addressed in any length on the forums that I visit. I know that each group has their own way and I respect it.

Note - on my first posting I meant to include the Kajukenbo, Kosho Ryu and Kara Ho groups.

O.K. I get what you're saying. (Sorry, I was really dragging last night
icon10.gif
)

I will say it all was discussed when I was in the game back in the day, even as a white belt! However, that slowly disappeared through the years. When I was last around, some touched on it, some didn't. It was kind of like if a student asked why, how, etc.. it was addressed. If not, it was just shown and done. I also noticed that a lot of the questioning by students had also dwindled. Maybe not as serious as the older students were, just doing it for fun, fitness, ...I dunno.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many from the SKK or Karazenpo lineage have had training in various forms of martial arts theory, tactical theory?
Theory - How and why everything works.
Tactical Theory - How theory is/has been applied.

Note- there was supposted to be a poll with this thread.

Yes to both. Using your breakdown, I'll give my thoughts.

This applies to every technique IMO. Like Marlon said, I don't know how to teach a tech. without using this theory. Understanding a move is very important. I suppose the same idea can be said about forms. I feel its very important for the student to know what they're doing, rather than just running thru the moves.

Tactical Theory:

Sure. As Clyde (a former member here) used to say...environment and target availability dictate what you do. What is around me? Am I unable to move my foot because my back is against a wall? Am I dealing with more than one person? This would fall under environment.

When I begin my technique, how are they moving? How are they reacting to what I'm doing to them? This is what would fall under target availability. Perhaps I can't reach their leg but their arm is closer, so theres my armbar.

I hope this helped. :)

Mike

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
O.K. I get what you're saying. (Sorry, I was really dragging last night
icon10.gif
)

I will say it all was discussed when I was in the game back in the day, even as a white belt! However, that slowly disappeared through the years. When I was last around, some touched on it, some didn't. It was kind of like if a student asked why, how, etc.. it was addressed. If not, it was just shown and done. I also noticed that a lot of the questioning by students had also dwindled. Maybe not as serious as the older students were, just doing it for fun, fitness, ...I dunno.

Totally agree here, I believe a lot of people are now doing it cause it's cool to tell people you do ... LOL ... I believe it is also true that, in most cases, it is only discussed if the question is asked and even then a lot of so-called instructors just plain don't know cause they never asked the question themselves ... very sad.

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand_Sword,

Theory:

Tactical Theory:

I can't speak for organizations, but I can speak for what goes on in the classes I teach.

Theory:
My classes include the physics, biomechanics, kinesiology, anatomy, physiology, and strategy and analysis of movement that I've learned over the course of working on my Post-baccalaureate certificate in Physical Education.

We also work from a tactical model, where skills are practiced in more 'open' conditions.

This includes taking the skills traditionally taught off of any particular attack, and learning them generally off of broad categories of attacks. This also includes working off of 'pre-incident indicators' to work off of attacks before they begin moving. Essentially the students are learning to apply the tools they have before, during, and at the end of any given physical attack.

I don't tend to cover large amounts of material, but the material I do cover, I cover very thoroughly. I also try to emphasize using the material you have over collecting new material.

Matt

Latest Discussions