The Sumbrada Thread!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay if you are into Filipino Martial Arts then you know what Sumbrada is. (if you do not then search) Okay so how do you train it and what are some of the unique filips that you put into how you practice it?
icon6.gif

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can not say that i put anything unique into the Sumbrada, I pretty well do I have been trained

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use a break in break out routine whenever "drills" of any kind are used and understood. What that means is that when we practice a flow we look for an entry and take it once that is done the partner has to see the entry and reverse it back to the drill. By doing this the training goes in a more logical progression- find a door open it before your opponent knows he left it open . If you are the opponent retreat to the next door and close it. By exploring weaknesses or paths you become better at getting in or covering.

just my 2 centavos

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using Subrada with opposite actions? Instead of a roof use an umbrella, instead of #1 use a #2? Jim Keating has a pretty good DVD that has some good tweaks on sumbrada. Transitioning between ranges and into Hubud and back out into Largo can also be a lot of fun too.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
...Jim Keating has a pretty good DVD that has some good tweaks on sumbrada...

Robert,

I've been thinking about getting Jim Keating's sumbrada DVD. Is it Serrada based? I have Rick Faye's sumbrada tape and it's quite good. If you've seen it, how does it compare in terms of the information presented?

Sorry I haven't had time to respond to your PM: I plan to be in Maui from February 16th to February 23 but may cancel my plans due to the recent illness of a family member.

Best,

Steve Lamade

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Steve, no problem Ill provide you some contacts just in case you do go.

Keatings tape isnt based off serrada as far as I know and I haven't seen Rick Faye's Sumbrada DVD either so I cant really compare the two. The other DVD sounds interesting I may have to check it out.

Charleston Combat

Green Belt
Reaction score
As of recently,we have been adding all four ranges of FCS to the way we train and teach Sumbrada! Starting in Long range or four count, moving to Sumbrada distance, then Punyo Sumbrada, entering into Hubud then blending into Punyo Mano. Also like, Sumbrada with Knife - Forward and Reverse grip with stirring. And almost forgot Backwards, or Left vs. Right. Learned these from Bram. Brad

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As of recently,we have been adding all four ranges of FCS to the way we train and teach Sumbrada! Starting in Long range or four count, moving to Sumbrada distance, then Punyo Sumbrada, entering into Hubud then blending into Punyo Mano. Also like, Sumbrada with Knife - Forward and Reverse grip with stirring. And almost forgot Backwards, or Left vs. Right. Learned these from Bram. Brad

Excellent because that is the way to do it!
icon6.gif

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots of cool responses to this... Anyone got vids?

Regards,
Walt

03:38 - 04:00. This is San Miguel Eskrima's version of Sumbrada - it's called "Palusot." This one is the first one taught to students. It's interesting because in a lot of Sumbradas there is a 1-2-2-1-1... counter for counter rhythm, (i.e., the double numbers represent a parry followed by a counter) but in this Palusot the rhythm is 1-2-2-1-2... (i.e, there is an attack thrown in by one of the players that changes the rhythm).

Best,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice idea to put disarms on a Sumbrada platform.

Does anyone have any footage of Pekiti's "Dukap y Puno" aka "Tapping on 5-8-9? It would be nice to compare this drill to Sumbrada.

Best,

Steve

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy Zavalla (ArnisAndyZ) has some cool transitions and switches from right-handed driving and countering to left-handed driving and countering at will. It definitely challenges the brain but cool stuff!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Andy Zavalla (ArnisAndyZ) has some cool transitions and switches from right-handed driving and countering to left-handed driving and countering at will. It definitely challenges the brain but cool stuff!

It is a lot of fun and challenging switching from left to right and the opponent doing it as well. Lots to learn from that.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions