The strangest reason you've tapped?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night, I was caught in a guillotine. It's not the choke that made me tap. Somehow I got caught with my lip between my teeth, and the pressure of having my head squeezed was forcing me to bite my own lip.

What is the dumbest thing you've tapped to?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in Junior High, I broke my right arm... broke the tip of the radius off, had to have it pinned for a number of months, then they unpinned it, and I had to learn how to use my elbow again. As a result, my right elbow has a ton of scar tissue built up in it and I do not have a full range of motion. I am missing the last 15-20 degrees when straightening the arm. Also, that elbow is very stiff.

When people put an armbar on... my elbow is stiff, its gets much stiffer as it reaches the end of its range of motion... and if it goes past the range of motion, while it hurts... its technically good for me, as it is breaking down the scar tissue in there, helping to give me a better range of motion.

The problem is that people get used to how my right arm feels... and then go after my left arm. My left elbow is very loose, straightens all the way and if you go past its range, its a break or dislocation.

To protect my left elbow, whenever people go after it... I tap as soon as they isolate the arm. This surprises many people when I roll with them, because they usually know that I have a very high pain threshold. I just am not willing to trade my good elbow... I would rather tap, and try again. This leads to me tapping out in all kinds of weird situations... but its my elbow and my ego.... My ego is good with tapping and my elbow still works as it should....

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was in Junior High, I broke my right arm... broke the tip of the radius off, had to have it pinned for a number of months, then they unpinned it, and I had to learn how to use my elbow again. As a result, my right elbow has a ton of scar tissue built up in it and I do not have a full range of motion. I am missing the last 15-20 degrees when straightening the arm. Also, that elbow is very stiff.

When people put an armbar on... my elbow is stiff, its gets much stiffer as it reaches the end of its range of motion... and if it goes past the range of motion, while it hurts... its technically good for me, as it is breaking down the scar tissue in there, helping to give me a better range of motion.

The problem is that people get used to how my right arm feels... and then go after my left arm. My left elbow is very loose, straightens all the way and if you go past its range, its a break or dislocation.

To protect my left elbow, whenever people go after it... I tap as soon as they isolate the arm. This surprises many people when I roll with them, because they usually know that I have a very high pain threshold. I just am not willing to trade my good elbow... I would rather tap, and try again. This leads to me tapping out in all kinds of weird situations... but its my elbow and my ego.... My ego is good with tapping and my elbow still works as it should....
I do tap slightly early on a lot of techniques. If I'm pinned, and the limb/neck is isolated, and my last defense is broken (chin or supporting arm, for example), then I just tap. I'd rather be a bit early than break something.

It's also a bit of holdover from Hapkido where my wrists would just be destroyed after every class, so we started to tap as soon as we felt the lock start.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My coach likes to cover my nose and mouth when we roll. I have tapped to that on occasion.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
grappling in general...extreme nausea, and I had tap fast and run and go hurl in the bathroom. This was early in my grappling experience back in the 90s.

Which I found out pretty fast wasn't that unusual, and not that big a deal in grappling. Only happened once, probably something I ate too soon beforehand. Lesson learned that day, I can tell you.

Nowadays it's a pet peeve of mine, being able to tell what a sparring/grappling partner just ate or smoked. Eww.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nowadays it's a pet peeve of mine, being able to tell what a sparring/grappling partner just ate or smoked. Eww.
I'm anosmic. I've never smelled dinner. I've never smelled flatus. I've never smelled wet dog. I can walk into a neglected bathroom and take a huge whiff and get nothing.

There is, however, one guy at my gym that I can smell. I feel sorry for everyone else that have normal noses for when they roll with him.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thankfully it was not me and I did not see it directly, only the effects of it right after. We would roll quite a lot in the Kung-Fu class I used to take. The teacher took a big man down awkwardly and his face landed so hard on the posted knee of the instructor that it broke his orbital socket and his eye popped out. Needless to say, he tapped. Remarkably, it did not knock him out.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thankfully it was not me and I did not see it directly, only the effects of it right after. We would roll quite a lot in the Kung-Fu class I used to take. The teacher took a big man down awkwardly and his face landed so hard on the posted knee of the instructor that it broke his orbital socket and his eye popped out. Needless to say, he tapped. Remarkably, it did not knock him out.
Wow dangerous stuff. Which Dojo Was this?

Latest Discussions