Super aggressive new guys

OP
P

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To me it still sounds like you're just upset you got beat by a beginner. You're upset because a guy went for a submission.....that's the truth of it. Okay he was doing it wrong but he's beginner he's not going to do perfect technique. You say you don't trust him....um pal he's rolling you're rolling accidents happen that's bjj for you get over it. If he held on a submission after you tapped or punched you in the face or dug his elbow into your face that would be bad but if a beginner goes for a submission....well that's what he's meant to do, fair play to him for giving it a go and not being timid your fault for not defending it or escaping.

Bjj rolling is different to sparring because in sparring someone goes hard you've got to take it and it'll hurt if hit. In bjj anything hurts you can quit straight away. That's the good thing about bjj you can go hard without as much risk of injury

Dude, I need my limbs / joints for other hobbies and life in general. Granted a face choke isn't putting me in real danger, but other submissions can if you put it on 100% right out of the gate. I don't roll like it is life and death.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, I need my limbs / joints for other hobbies and life in general. Granted a face choke isn't putting me in real danger, but other submissions can if you put it on 100% right out of the gate. I don't roll like it is life and death.
Yes you do so tap early it's as simple as that

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But at the same time, why does it make you angry if you tap for that? If you're the one making the choice to tap..

As a side note, maybe he doesn't realize how 'aggressive' he is being. When you're new, it's very tough to recognize what you're doing to what your opponent is feeling. You sound skeptical that he's oblivious, but i can absolutely imagine that someone puts their elbows between your thighs thinking it's a normal defense (to me it is), and a couple weeks ago a yellow belt was trying to get an guillotine (i think) in drilling and was just crushing his partner's jaw. It took him a bit to understand the difference, but once they were both done on him he got it and learned. Super nice, not aggressive guy.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think most of us have had encounters like the one you described. Some people are just green (and strong lol). Some dudes are just grindy grapplers. Lots of wrestlers I train with have really neat, though aggressive compared to some BJJ tactics, ways of digging and putting massive pressure and annoyingly painful shoulders and elbows. I try to pick up those techniques when I can honestly.

However, there are some guys in gyms who are known for being aggressive. Usually, if they ask to roll I just frame it beforehand in a friendly way.
"Wanna roll/spar?"
"Yeah. Do you mind if we just flow around? I'm tired."

If they really want to go hard, they usually find another partner or they accept and we end up having a good time.

OP
P

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But at the same time, why does it make you angry if you tap for that? If you're the one making the choice to tap..

As a side note, maybe he doesn't realize how 'aggressive' he is being. When you're new, it's very tough to recognize what you're doing to what your opponent is feeling. You sound skeptical that he's oblivious, but i can absolutely imagine that someone puts their elbows between your thighs thinking it's a normal defense (to me it is), and a couple weeks ago a yellow belt was trying to get an guillotine (i think) in drilling and was just crushing his partner's jaw. It took him a bit to understand the difference, but once they were both done on him he got it and learned. Super nice, not aggressive guy.

Well, to Tony's point several comment's back, in the grand scheme of grappling - I should learn how to deal with an ugly, incorrect choke like that too. I've just never experienced it I guess so it was a total surprise. Whether its white belts awkwardly trying to setup various chokes, or higher belts with their more elaborate but patient setups, no one has just locked down hard like that and didn't stop to adjust at all when it was wrong. Mad is not the word for it. Frustrated though.

We do have a guy who is super athletic and really scrappy, who was being super aggressive with everyone, kinda like he was on "10" all the time. Great guy though, I didn't mind that he rolled hard and he's never done anything that seemed dirty to me. But he got told to chill out by multiple purple / black belts. He just didn't realize how rough he was being. So maybe this new guy is like that, and if he keeps coming back, he will mellow out a little bit. I know he got roughed up by some higher colored belts to be put in his place that night, partly due to his face choke on me, but also due to how he rolled with others I think (I was busy rolling, never actually saw it, just heard about it).

Latest Discussions