Is this illegal?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
just wondering if this is illegal in gi Bjj.

You're in someone's guard and you pull the collar across the throat then stand in the guard and push down on the throat. Basically a collar choke but standing over them. Now this is a move I was taught in class and one the head instructor used when I rolled with him so as I was concerned it was a legal technique. So what night during the last few minutes of rolling I used it on this guy. He said nothing when I started to apply it. Then he tapped and started saying oh yeah well that's an illegal move. I just shrugged and said okay sorry and moved on.

So anyone know if it really is illegal or was the guy just salty that he got tapped? If it was illegal then fair enough my bad no one ever told me it was illegal when I was taught it but hey what do I know?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your partner was salty. Unfortunately people still have egos while rolling.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s totally legal in BJJ. Your partner was either confused or just making excuses.
Thought so. It was probably because I did it in like 20 seconds. We started in guard. I knew he had a hard guard to escape so went straight for the submission instead of wasting time trying to pass

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Something to remember is that the person on bottom will usually not have to tap to that choke (which is called an up-down choke BTW) unless they fail to respect the danger of it until too late. The main point of the choke is to force the opponent to open his guard in order to defend.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Also whenever that is done to me, it's uncomfortable but I don't think I've ever felt like it was a legit choke . All you have to do to defend is turn your head.

In other news, if your game centers on maintaining a closed guard at all costs, you beed to open up your game.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also whenever that is done to me, it's uncomfortable but I don't think I've ever felt like it was a legit choke . All you have to do to defend is turn your head.

In other news, if your game centers on maintaining a closed guard at all costs, you beed to open up your game.
If the choke is done properly, turning your head won’t be a sufficient defense. If you defend early, it’s possible to counter by extending the hips and hand fighting. If you’re late, you may have to open your guard.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think its ever been done effectively to me then. If you turn your head to the side, toward the guys hand, away from the choke, half of your neck would be safe on the ground. I've never seen someone choked that way.

And sure, hand fighting and creating space with your hips too.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think its ever been done effectively to me then. If you turn your head to the side, toward the guys hand, away from the choke, half of your back would be safe on the ground. I've never seen someone choked that way.

And sure, hand fighting and creating space with your hips too.
Headhunter’s description sounds like he may have left out part of the technique.

In your opponent’s closed guard, grab the left side of his lapel with your right hand, 4 fingers in. Leave just enough slack so you can cross the lapel over to the right side of their throat. Control their right lapel with your left hand, about 1/3 way down their lapel. Cover your right hand with their right lapel (that makes it harder to peel your hand off). Stand in their guard, thrusting your right hand down while pulling up with your left. (Thus “up-down” choke.) This gives you choking pressure for the arteries on both sides.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Headhunter’s description sounds like he may have left out part of the technique.

In your opponent’s closed guard, grab the left side of his lapel with your right hand, 4 fingers in. Leave just enough slack so you can cross the lapel over to the right side of their throat. Control their right lapel with your left hand, about 1/3 way down their lapel. Cover your right hand with their right lapel (that makes it harder to peel your hand off). Stand in their guard, thrusting your right hand down while pulling up with your left. (Thus “up-down” choke.) This gives you choking pressure for the arteries on both sides.
Ah So a proper cross collar choke. Got it. I was envisioning something else .

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something to remember is that the person on bottom will usually not have to tap to that choke (which is called an up-down choke BTW) unless they fail to respect the danger of it until too late. The main point of the choke is to force the opponent to open his guard in order to defend.
Meh well I've tapped at least 3 people with It

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have tapped people with mount. Doesn't make it a submission.

Latest Discussions