The Sir Sandwich - "Sir, yes Sir!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Off topic, but this reminds me of a couple of things that happened to me. I hope you guys don't mind if I share a quick story.

When I was in Basic Training at Lackland back in 1989, I failed to salute a staff vehicle when walking back from the store (it was a Lt. Colonel). When I got back, my TI was waiting for me, and he was pissed. Apparently, word got back to him faster than I did. So, I spent at least an hour saluting inanimate objects, and greeting them politely.
TI: "Airman, there's Major Rock."
Me: Salute. "Good afternoon, Major."
TI: "Is that Colonel Flagpole?"
Me: Salute. "Good afternoon, Colonel."

Made an impression. So, a few weeks later I'm once again walking back from the store, and a giant blue bus is coming slowly down the road with rank flags on it. I had never seen a "staff vehicle" that was other than a sedan, so I didn't know whether it qualified or not. Having been burned once, I figured I'd take the gamble and pop a salute. The bus passes me by and immediately I hear the, 'Pshhhh" of the air brakes as the bus stops and the door opens. Crap. I figured it wasn't a staff vehicle, and because I got yelled at for everything in basic training, I was expecting to get an earful from a TI... my belief was that EVERYONE I encountered who wasn't a trainee was a TI in disguise trying to trick me into doing something wrong.

"Airman!" (I kept walking... hoping he wasn't talking to me.)
"Airman... walking away with a shopping bag. Come here. I want to talk to you."

Turns out that the rank on the flags was a star, and the bus was full of brand spanking new generals being given a tour of the training side of Lackland. I was the first airman to salute them and so they insisted on giving me a ride back, asking me all of the typical questions, "Where are you from? How do you like the food? Etc."

I was a nervous wreck, but it turned out okay. Fun memory.

Awesome story!

That whole story should be a scene in a film.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Over here (The Netherlands) most people only use 'sir' for strangers. Therefor it has actually become somewhat insulting if you say sir to people who aren't strangers to you. If you want to be respectfull, you should be bothered to remember (and use) someones name.
Many years ago, like a lot of people, I would often apologize for being terrible with names. One time, as I was meeting someone, I said something like, "I'm terrible with names, so if I forget your name please don't be offended." You know, like you hear all the time. They responded with something like, "If my name were important to you, you would remember it." It stuck with me, because as snarky as they were, they were also right. Since then, I've found that if I pay attention to someone when they introduce themselves, and make a point of remembering their name, I will usually have no trouble recalling it when I see them again.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Went to a seminar with the late Joe Lewis. Hosted him once. Since our habit is to address instructors as "Sir" he responded to me by saying "You see any bars on my shoulder? don't call me sir!" I gusess he was proud not to be thought of as an "Officer".

Yeah the "don't call me sir I work for a living"
is a pretty popular quote here.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm from the south so I answer yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, and no ma'am to everyone.

Now when it comes to addressing me I don't mind Sarge but hate Sgt Jones....I usually correct them that its just Chris.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm from the south so I answer yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, and no ma'am to everyone.

Now when it comes to addressing me I don't mind Sarge but hate Sgt Jones....I usually correct them that its just Chris.

When I see an old Sgt of mine, even if we’ve since become good friends, when I first see them I always say
“Hey, Sarge!”
After that it’s by their first name.

Latest Discussions