The sad demise of Catch Wrestling

supersaiyan

White Belt
Reaction score
yeah i ts been hard to find Catch organizations in USA ....i am going to go ahead n get Cecchines material as it has gotton SSSOOO much praise ..n just from gut feeling i sense he has ALOT of things to blow Anyone away and myself.

there is however semingly to be a legit association in Canada that promotes true Catch called Kings of Catchwrestling or something for anyone wanting to check it. if i dont find a catch place here in ny i will go ahead n jump in Sambo

Devon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Lancashire catch-as-catch-can was the traditional style, most famously taught by Billy Riley at the infamous "Snake Pit" wrestling gym in Wigan, England; it included pain holds but not submissions per se, as the idea was to use a pain hold to force the opponent into a pin-fall position.

Kforcer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Catch wrestling didnt' die, it moved to japan. Shooto is Catch wrestling.

Shooto is really just the name of an organization; although, it was also the name for the style which its founder, Satoru Sayama, propagated, which was like a mix of catch-wrestling, sambo, Muay Thai, and some other stuff (one of the godfathers of Japanese catch-wrestling, Noriaki Kiguchi, was a huge influence on this style and was recruited by Sayama to help train the Shooto fighters).

Actually, Pancrase is more so the torch-bearer for catch-wrestling: it was founded by professional wrestlers Funaki, Suzuki and Shamrock and they refer to the grappling matches hosted by Pancrase as "catch wrestling." Their grappling championships are called Pancrase Pro/Am Catch wrestling.

Combat Wrestling, Japan's biggest no-gi grappling circuit is, essentially modern catch-wrestling.

Anyway, yeah, you're point is 100% correct; catch lives on and totally thrives in Japan. In fact, its pretty difficult to find Japanese fighters NOT directly influenced by catch-wrestling.

Latest Discussions