The reason that you start a thread discussion

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I start a thread, I want to

- collect different opinions (both agree and disagree).
- put myself in listening mode.
- try not to argue with anybody.
- not to collect names into my ignore list (my ignore list is 0).

IMO, the following discussion pattern is not good.

A: I think ... What's your opinion on this?
B: I think ...
A: You are wrong because ...
C: I think ...
D: I think ...
A: You are ...

Am I the only person who feels this way? Your thought?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I start threads to get a conversation going on topics that interest me. Sometimes I have an opinion to express, sometimes a question to throw out, and a lotta times I just enjoy talking about the topic.

When things have been really slow, I’ll even spend time trying to come up with a topic to promote lively conversation!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I start a thread, I want to

- collect different opinions (both agree and disagree).
- put myself in listening mode.
- try not to argue with anybody.
- not to collect names into my ignore list (my ignore list is 0).

IMO, the following discussion pattern is not good.

A: I think ... What's your opinion on this?
B: I think ...
C: I think ...
D: I think ...
A: You are ...

Am I the only person who feels this way? Your thought?

You two. What the hell is wrong with you guys? Don't you know that anything other than what you train sucks?

Get with the program. Join up with The Martial Police and bash the ship out of what everyone else does. You guys really need to keep up. There are people here, there and everywhere that need that ash-hole-in-laws "my dog is better than your dog" bitterness.

And for Christ sake put your thoughts on you tube. The world apparently needs it.

I start threads to get a conversation going on topics that interest me. Sometimes I have an opinion to express, sometimes a question to throw out, and a lotta times I just enjoy talking about the topic.

When things have been really slow, I’ll even spend time trying to come up with a topic to promote lively conversation!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether I start the thread or not, I'm generally here to learn from what others think, and to see what reactions my own thoughts get. The latter often leads to discussion that may or may not change my thoughts. I like it best when someone manages to change my mind on something, and like it least when people seem to just want to argue.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whether I start the thread or not, I'm generally here to learn from what others think, and to see what reactions my own thoughts get. The latter often leads to discussion that may or may not change my thoughts. I like it best when someone manages to change my mind on something, and like it least when people seem to just want to argue.
I hear you brother. The urge to click the ignore button is strong today.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have often started a thread because I have ideas on something and writing it all out helps me think it through. Then everyone gets to pig pile on that idea and I have to defend and explain it. Verbal jujitsu. If i don't know my facts or if my concepts have holes, everyone points it out and I know where the weak points are.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have often started a thread because I have ideas on something and writing it all out helps me think it through. Then everyone gets to pig pile on that idea and I have to defend and explain it. Verbal jujitsu. If i don't know my facts or if my concepts have holes, everyone points it out and I know where the weak points are.

Yeah, I do that too, ....and sometimes I say dumb stuff. And people call me on it. But after 30 years of marriage, I'm used to it.

Anyway, contrary to what some people say about wasting time on forums, I often learn things here.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me I start threads to share my knowledge and understanding of Martial Arts or to just share a personal life experience. While my interests are generally towards being a good and honest representative of the system that I train.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
sometimes its to share thoughts, or to journal.

to inform or clarify

or to entertain with humor

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In another forum, people start threads for "training log". They post what training they have done everyday. What do you guys think about those threads?

Sometime people start a thread by putting up a clip without any words. Since I don't know the purpose of that thread, it's hard to Join in. I once made myself a fool by given comment. The OP responds as, "This thread is for information only. Your opponent is not important here."

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...The OP responds as, "This thread is for information only. Your opponent is not important here."

You meant your opinion? Well just because your opinion isn't important to the OP doesn't mean it isn't of interest to others.

When somebody posts a clip, they are effectively inviting opinions whether they like it or not. And since this is an open forum, you have every right to express yourself as long as you keep it polite and abide abide by the forum rules. And if they don't like that ...too damn bad! :cool:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know, to entertain myself?

I am mostly my own audience.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know, to entertain myself?

I am mostly my own audience.
If I believe to wrap my boxer opponent's arms ASAP is the best strategy to deal with his punch, no matter how strongly that I may believe in it, I still like to get people's opinion on this. Through deep level discussion, everything will become clear.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another forum, people start threads for "training log". They post what training they have done everyday. What do you guys think about those threads?
I don't mind them. I sometimes look at them out of curiosity, but actual training regimens don't usually engender much conversation, unless there's something controversial about them.

Latest Discussions