Why the person who starts a thread but doesn't participate the discussion?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I start a thread, I'll try to respond to the posts as much as I can. But there are some threads that the OP starts the thread and then just disappears. My question is if one doesn't want to get involve into discussion, why did he start that thread in the first place?

I can think at least one reason. May be the thread has been redirected toward a direction that the OP has no interest in. But the OP can always redirect the discussion back to what he intends to discuss.

What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...there are some threads that the OP starts the thread and then just disappears.

Sometimes people like to sit back a bit to see what others want to say. I've done that. But if the OPs doesn't come back later to respond and participate in the conversation, then they probably aren't really interested in the subject.

They are just bored and wasting everyone's time.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I start a thread, I'll try to respond to the posts as much as I can. But there are some threads that the OP starts the thread and then just disappears. My question is if one doesn't want to get involve into discussion, why did he start that thread in the first place?

I can think at least one reason. May be the thread has been redirected toward a direction that the OP has no interest in. But the OP can always redirect the discussion back to what he intends to discuss.

I think you hit the nail on the head, but in some cases, after several attempts to get the discussion back to the point I was trying to make and being ignored, I move on. Some people have a distinct need for every thread to be about their favorite topic and will keep finding a way to change it to what they want to talk about. Hint, hint.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I've done this before on other forums. Mostly because I wanted to state an unpopular opinion and had no interest in defending it.

Latest Discussions