The reality of HKD Tecjniques

S

SmellyMonkey

Nobody can say you can't take a fall.

Gives me motivation to practice a few breakfalls on concrete. That's nothing compared to what you've been through!

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just be super careful about that type of workout. Breakfalls on concrete are totally possible, but work up very slowly. I won't subject anyone to the kind of stuff I went through. Probably no wonder I shudder at the thought of breakfall practice - which I still do daily on my own, but I opt now to use mats.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for concrete but gym floors are also a mental thing. Put your mind somewhere else and do what you were taught. For a while there will be a sting, and your body will modify your execution in deference to reducing that sting. Depending on your body type/physique the modified breakfall may or may not look particularly elegant. Like Kevin, I DO NOT recommend this except as a kind of confidence builder or for people who enjoy pushing the edge of the envelope. I also VERY STRONGLY advise against high back breakfalls on hard surfaces. There is simply no about of benefit that justifies the potential for life-changing injury in that case. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce