the question that could start a massive debate

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
when i first saw you guys post Amerido-te i thought "oh cool a martial art i've never heard of" then i looked it up and yes, i now see why you said it. LOL!

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Some people can go thru their whole lives with just a damn good left hook. Live a long, prosperous and healthy life. But in training doctrine, better said is - the theory of "best training doctrine" - you need to box. If you need to box then you must kick box. If you need kickboxing, then you need to know takedowns. Then you must ground wrestle. BUT! If you ground fight, you also need to add "ground n pound" to it. Then, of course, you need to really worry about weapons. BUT...but, certainly...there are indeed people...who manage to go through their entire lives, successfully with just a terrific, left hook."
W. "hock" Hochheim

that's a great quote. reminds me of the quote "I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times" by Bruce Lee. sometimes all you need is one move... for instance, when i was training Shaolin Kung Fu i heard about a Karate tournament fighter that had one move, a roundhouse, he practiced and practiced and practiced this one move, that with this one roundhouse he became the champion of the tournament!

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My guess would be the one they already chose.

I guess I could have worded that better. My favorite martial art is Taekwondo, but if I had to choose which martial art is the best, I'd probably choose Krav Maga. I don't know if that makes sense or sounds weird or whatever but yeah

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Flying ...Drone technique".

It requires a keen eye, and nimble wrists to deliver precise strikes which can eliminate your enemy where ever they are positioned - with no possible risk to you.

If this was available in Japan or China hundreds of years ago - you think there would have ever been ninjas and samurai? Nah - just nerds with remote controls.

good point, but not all martial arts are hundreds of years old. I just finished another post mentioning Krav Maga, and now i'm mentioning it again, it's not brand new but its around 60 years old... younger than my parents. i've heard Krav Maga people say that martial arts such as Karate and Kung Fu are too old and outdated and Krav Maga is the martial art for modern times... that I don't really agree with at all but its an interesting point regardless

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i heard about a Karate tournament fighter that had one move, a roundhouse, he practiced and practiced and practiced this one move, that with this one roundhouse he became the champion of the tournament!
that read like the plotline for most all JCVD movies :)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
that depends also though. grappling martial arts such as BJJ or Judo are not effective against multiple opponents... but how about Kickboxing or Muay Thai? Another thing is how you define MMA. there are certain styles most commonly used in MMA. however, any style can be added and it would still be MMA. that right there is why MMA is so formidable, whatever uses it is lacking, just add on a martial art that provides it with that usage. I know a school that doesn't call itself MMA, but it teaches five different martial arts... isn't that kind of MMA? the reason i bring this up is because one of the styles it teaches is Filipino weapons training, so the lack of weapons training you mentioned is right there. so idk... i'm kind of rambling now...but you bring up a good point.but even if it doesn't cover everything you mentioned, it still covers more bases than any other martial art for sure... that is if you consider MMA a martial art and not a combination of martial arts. i guess in reality it is both. what blows my mind about MMA is how hard people must have to train to excel at 3-4 different kinds of martial arts... one martial art is hard enough! unless of course your Chuck Norris :D

With regards to the club that teaches five different arts, I wouldn't call it MMA as FMA weapons aren't allowed in MMA competitions. By that metric, my club is an MMA club too because we do HEMA and modern combatives.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont see what the problem is.

best martial art ever...one word....................Amerido-te "best of all. worst of none"

ok thats more than one word but you know what im saying. everything else is just BS.

Sinanju beats Ameri-Do-Te...

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With regards to the club that teaches five different arts, I wouldn't call it MMA as FMA weapons aren't allowed in MMA competitions. By that metric, my club is an MMA club too because we do HEMA and modern combatives.
well, they train each martial art at different times at the school I mentioned, so you could just take the other four (Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, and BJJ) and not take the Bali course.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
As we all know, there are a ton of martial arts out there. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and vary greatly in how they work. Here is my question, in your opinion, which martial art, overall and in every way, is the greatest martial art ever? not just for one situation, but overall in all situations and in all ways... which martial art is superior to all others? I know, if people respond to this, a lot of people are gonna say that there is not one martial art that is superior to the rest... but I am curious to know that if you had to choose one martial art for all purposes, which one would you choose? If people reply to this post please agree to disagree, I am not trying to start some huge flame war argument.
If I had to choose only one martial art I would choose Shi-to Ryu Karate. Im just picking it because its my main style. Im not saying its better than any of the other styles, it just works for me and my answer is based in personal preference.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Some people can go thru their whole lives with just a damn good left hook. Live a long, prosperous and healthy life. But in training doctrine, better said is - the theory of "best training doctrine" - you need to box. If you need to box then you must kick box. If you need kickboxing, then you need to know takedowns. Then you must ground wrestle. BUT! If you ground fight, you also need to add "ground n pound" to it. Then, of course, you need to really worry about weapons. BUT...but, certainly...there are indeed people...who manage to go through their entire lives, successfully with just a terrific, left hook."
W. "hock" Hochheim

Well Im not one to argue with Hock. I met him personally and I must say he really does know his stuff.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If I had to choose only one martial art I would choose Shi-to Ryu Karate. Im just picking it because its my main style. Im not saying its better than any of the other styles, it just works for me and my answer is based in personal preference.
that's a great martial art too. i mean the general consensus is that you can't put one style above another style, it all depends on the gym, instructor, and how hard you train.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If we're to be honest with ourselves, its probably MMA, since it merges many potent styles and properly combines grappling and striking.

MMA is a great base for unarmed combatives, but it doesn't deal with weapons at all. That's a huge hole if you're looking for a broad approach that covers as much as possible.

I'd agree with those who have suggested FMA. It's not the end all be all -- no art is. But it covers all of the likely weapons you are to come across in a modern context, as well as striking, grappling, and even a small amount of groundwork.

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MMA is a great base for unarmed combatives, but it doesn't deal with weapons at all. That's a huge hole if you're looking for a broad approach that covers as much as possible.

I'd agree with those who have suggested FMA. It's not the end all be all -- no art is. But it covers all of the likely weapons you are to come across in a modern context, as well as striking, grappling, and even a small amount of groundwork.

another contender is Krav Maga. They use hand to hand combat, how to disarm someone with a weapon, and all sorts of military stuff... i'm not sure but I think they may do some grappling as well.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
another contender is Krav Maga. They use hand to hand combat, how to disarm someone with a weapon, and all sorts of military stuff... i'm not sure but I think they may do some grappling as well.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I'm actually not that familiar with Krav, though. I know they train to defend against weapons, but do they train to use them as well?

OP
sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes Krav Maga trains both how to use weapons and defend against them. here is an article that goes into more detail:

Krav Maga Weapons

here's the thing about Krav Maga... it is much younger than Karate or Kung Fu. It is more of a modern day martial art. So while people in Karate or Kung Fu use weapons such as swords, staffs, and nunchucks, Krav Maga teaches how to disarm and use M-16s, hand guns, and knives

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
here's the thing about Krav Maga... it is much younger than Karate or Kung Fu. It is more of a modern day martial art. So while people in Karate or Kung Fu use weapons such as swords, staffs, and nunchucks, Krav Maga teaches how to disarm and use M-16s, hand guns, and knives

Yeah, I would agree. Though, FMA does that as well.

I do feel that FMA has a bit of an advantage in how it's taught, and that it's a bit more all encompassing. It covers a lot of footwork, and develops a broader approach to combat, and trains it in a very "live" way. Krav, from the little I've seen of it, is more rigid and technique focused.

I think I personally learn better with more of a FMA approach, where things are less structured and there's more flow and experimentation. But I also think there are people who probably learn better with a more structured approach and practice as found in Krav and many traditional Japanese arts. So, to some extent, the learning style and natural aptitude of the practitioner should probably be considered.

Latest Discussions