Looking for a Start

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that beyond physical fitness, I'm looking to be able to defend myself should the need arise as I've always been a tall, but pretty skinny dude so I want to be able to defend/take care of myself and people close to me.

Go do a combat sport. Plenty of tall skinny dudes who are outright dangerous.

Here is one of our guys. Fighting him is like being bashed by Mcauly Culkin

Actually go one better. This is jack macklin 193cm fighting at 77kilos and is the top ammy in his division last time i checked.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that beyond physical fitness, I'm looking to be able to defend myself should the need arise as I've always been a tall, but pretty skinny dude so I want to be able to defend/take care of myself and people close to me.
If you value the practical combat side of things I would stick to styles/clubs that actually do live sparring rather than questionable scenario training with compliant partners(ie most traditional martial arts schools)

Look at boxing, kickboxing, Mui Thai or MMA.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you value the practical combat side of things I would stick to styles/clubs that actually do live sparring rather than questionable scenario training with compliant partners(ie most traditional martial arts schools)

It was a thought, but I'm pretty sure that's what I would like. I'll have to see what is available to me and actually try things of course.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score

This takes more training then many martial arts places are willing to admit. I used to do Tang Soo Do, currently practice Tae Kwon Do. I enjoy it. I am slowly getting more fit. I genuinely look forward to training. And I am slowly shaking the rust off my technique even as I learn the TKD forms, which are different from the TSD forms I learned many years ago. And, I enjoy the traditional aspects of TKD, even as I realize it isn't nearly as ancient as TKD masters say it is.

I hesitate to say this, but I am starting to think traditional martial arts isn't all that great a way to learn how to fight. Put another way, TKD will not turn me or you, into a killing machine anytime soon. If I were looking mostly for self defense, I would not suggest traditional martial arts. They offer a path to self defense, but it takes a lot longer than people realize. (like 7 years or more) I don't say this to be critical, but back when I was in high school, I looked up to our black belts as these amazing fighters. I cannot say that is the case for every black belt I see now.

If you want to learn how to fight, go to a gym that does full contact fighting from the start. For striking, MMA, kickboxing and boxing. For grappling, try wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This takes more training then many martial arts places are willing to admit. I used to do Tang Soo Do, currently practice Tae Kwon Do. I enjoy it. I am slowly getting more fit. I genuinely look forward to training. And I am slowly shaking the rust off my technique even as I learn the TKD forms, which are different from the TSD forms I learned many years ago. And, I enjoy the traditional aspects of TKD, even as I realize it isn't nearly as ancient as TKD masters say it is.

I hesitate to say this, but I am starting to think traditional martial arts isn't all that great a way to learn how to fight. Put another way, TKD will not turn me or you, into a killing machine anytime soon. If I were looking mostly for self defense, I would not suggest traditional martial arts. They offer a path to self defense, but it takes a lot longer than people realize. (like 7 years or more) I don't say this to be critical, but back when I was in high school, I looked up to our black belts as these amazing fighters. I cannot say that is the case for every black belt I see now.

If you want to learn how to fight, go to a gym that does full contact fighting from the start. For striking, MMA, kickboxing and boxing. For grappling, try wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Thanks for the constructive comment, I appreciate it. It seems like Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and grappling may be the path in that case. I'm learning a lot just by talking and reading so thanks, truly.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I
Have you made a decision yet?

I'm leaning towards Brazilian Ju Jitsu based on location near me and interest in the practice. Many of the places near me cater towards younger people which is fine, but I see a couple that are close and have good reputations. I also found a club on campus that I'll look into when I go back. This thread was mainly to get me in the right direction and to get some of the work out of the way before I return. I'm mostly working this Summer so when I head back, I don't want to delay starting. Now is when I will get my information and research out of the way.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Disregard what anyone says, visit places around you. Take trail lessons, (most places offer free ones for a period of time so you can decide if you like it or not.) From there decide which one you like the most.

AlecBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm very new to the community and am looking to start learning A martial art when I return to college after the Summer, but don't know what to pursue yet. I understand there are threads for beginners, but what I am curious about is which Martial Art people chose as their first and why whether it was most accessible, most appealing, most challenging at the time etc.

I'd like to learn whatever training the Spetsnaz have because that stuff is insane. If you haven't seen anything about it just look some stuff up. Who knows maybe I'll join Spetz then quit after all my training and be a fully trained killing machine. But for real maybe some Military CQB training might be a good route. ;)

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to learn whatever training the Spetsnaz have because that stuff is insane. If you haven't seen anything about it just look some stuff up. Who knows maybe I'll join Spetz then quit after all my training and be a fully trained killing machine. But for real maybe some Military CQB training might be a good route. ;)

I'm trying to learn before I start doing whatever close quarters training the Army inevitably has me endure. Trying to prepare for that a little as well as what I mentioned above.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to learn before I start doing whatever close quarters training the Army inevitably has me endure. Trying to prepare for that a little as well as what I mentioned above.

Do MMA.

Try and get a fight in as well.

Last edited:

AlecBeach

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm planning on Joining SWAT or CBRN. Maybe EOD if I can convince my parents I wont get blown up instantly. But maybe go to your local DoJo and talk to them about martial arts. Might be able to get some classes in?

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm planning on Joining SWAT or CBRN. Maybe EOD if I can convince my parents I wont get blown up instantly. But maybe go to your local DoJo and talk to them about martial arts. Might be able to get some classes in?

Definitely going to look around my area!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Seems to me that any system, if well trained, can give good skills in reasonable time.

The problem is often in the training and instruction, and less about the system. This is a problem at the level of the individual school.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well, I cannot speak for all TMA... but the complaint partner drills at least in Okinawan Te type arts are like training wheels used for a time until the muscle memory is fully developed, and then escalted when you can demonstrate control.
at the same time you develop your ability as an Uke or receiver of techniques.

its stages.
preset known drills,
The attack is known, the Defense is predetermined.
repeat.

no to light contact vs a complaint partner
light to medium contact vs a complaint partner
medium to full contact vs a complaint partner

Light to medium vs a noncompliant partner
Medium to full vs a noncompliant partner

Then unknown or random techniques:
Either attack or defense is unknown, may repeat or may change.
Eventually, stops being reset and runs for a timed duration.

light to medium against either compliant or noncompliant partner.

Medium to full against either a complaint or noncompliant partner. [if a style doesn't have its practitioners doing body conditioning then injuries will begin occurring]

The noncompliance is slowly escalated until it is like fighting back with full power.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I cannot speak for all TMA... but the complaint partner drills at least in Okinawan Te type arts are like training wheels used for a time until the muscle memory is fully developed, and then escalted when you can demonstrate control.
at the same time you develop your ability as an Uke or receiver of techniques.

its stages.
preset known drills,
The attack is known, the Defense is predetermined.
repeat.

no to light contact vs a complaint partner
light to medium contact vs a complaint partner
medium to full contact vs a complaint partner

Light to medium vs a noncompliant partner
Medium to full vs a noncompliant partner

Then unknown or random techniques:
Either attack or defense is unknown, may repeat or may change.
Eventually, stops being reset and runs for a timed duration.

light to medium against either compliant or noncompliant partner.

Medium to full against either a complaint or noncompliant partner. [if a style doesn't have its practitioners doing body conditioning then injuries will begin occurring]

The noncompliance is slowly escalated until it is like fighting back with full power.
Well sure, sequence training and drilling are good

But

If that's all there is going on, questions need to be asked.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai, BJJ, MMA, or...... if you're lucky enough to have one close enough to you, Kajukenbo.

Ultimately HOW you train is more important than the art you train.

Oh, I know a lot of people will say what is in your area. I went in the other direction. I moved to the Midwest from Florida. Back south, I'd drive by several QUALITY schools, to get to mine, which was still only like 12minutes from my house. Once here, I began the search for the school that best fit my needs. I drive one hour each way because I found it. (Imho) It is worth a couple hours in a car to be truly happy with your training.