The proper method to develop MA skill

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Step 1: Defeat a group of weak opponents to prove that you are not that weak.
Step 2: Defeat a group of average opponents to prove that you are above average.
Step 3: Defeat a group of strong opponents to prove that you are truly strong.

You should try in the order of:

step 1 -> step 2 -> step 3

If you start with step 3, after you get defeated, you may lose your confidence and quit forever.

What's your opinion on this approach?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Step 2: Defeat a group of average opponents to prove that you are above average.

If you start with step 3, after you get defeated, you may lose your confidence and quit forever.

This is a guy I really respect. He's a BJJ black belt who goes by the name Chewie. He says that sometimes the beginner needs to be smashed. That way the beginner knows what he can learn if he keeps going.

I think learning comes before defeating anyone. I think you should fight 3 types of people:
  • Those better than you to learn from
  • Those worse from you so you can slow down and drill (and also so they can learn from you)
  • Those equal to you so you can compete and grow
Obviously at the start of your training there won't be many people worse than you, or even equal to you. And if you're the most experienced fighter in your gym, it might be hard to find people to push you to improve. But in general, you should try and spar with all 3 in order to improve.

Now, if you're talking about actual competitive fights, then what you suggest is basically in place. In a competition like TKD or Grappling, you're usually separated by belt. When we go to tournaments, our intermediate belts aren't fighting advanced belts or black belts. They're fighting other intermediate students. In competitions without a belt rank, you usually start with local amateur tournaments and work your way up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

My opinion is that martial arts is about so much more than that.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think learning comes before defeating anyone. I think you should fight 3 types of people:
  • Those better than you to learn from
  • Those worse from you so you can slow down and drill (and also so they can learn from you)
  • Those equal to you so you can compete and grow

this

D

Deleted member 39746

Now here is a spanner in the works: Define weak and strong. :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You guys all hit the nail on the head.

The hardest part is getting to the dojo. That's all you have to do, get up, go there.

If you do....you'll run into weaker guys, average guys, stronger guys. Beginners who'll try to smash, beginners who get smashed, guys to learn from, guys who'll learn from you, and guys who are your equal.

Eventually you won't care who you can and cannot beat up because you'll learn that Martial Arts is so much more than that.

You just have to get your butt to the dojo. Go on now, git.

Latest Discussions