The price we pay in martial arts... for gas?

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When I first started training in martial arts, the only thing that we really needed to be concerned about was paying the monthly dues, which at the time for me was $75, until I opted to pay for a year up front which was a whole lot less. When I decided to change over to another art about three years later, I paid a drop in rate of $12, since classes were only once a week (it was a rented space, and we were strongly encouraged to work out with eac other outside of class as well.)

The first school was less than a 10 minute drive from my house, and the other was about a 15 minute drive into the city. Neither one was a hassle.

These days, we need to factor in driving distance, time, and of course the classes as well. For myself I even had to start doing an excel sheet just to make estimates. For example, I was looking at a Muay Thai gym in the city, and the price to pay for classes were about $100 per month. By some standards, that might even be a bargain, considering the head instructor has been awarded quite a few "Instructor of the Year" awards (I don't know who issues those).

However, the monthly price it would cost for me to drive to the gym, five days a week, back and forth, costs over twice as much as it would to pay for the training.

Now of course, there's a few gyms that are closer, but the prices are also a little higher- save for one, where the facilities are a little lacking.

Ultimately, if you want to excel in whatever art you decide to train in, you'll shoulder the cost, but is it just me, or does the price of gas really affect these once-simple decisions?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I drive a 99 Merc Grand Marquis, with the V8! I filled the tank January 30th, drove to and from work and karate for a month and just Monday put gas in the tank again. I need a life...

Latest Discussions