The Pink Book?

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would never call myself a "professor", but thank you for the compliment. My parents are very pleased to know that someone believes that I've presented myself as learned person. The college tuition that they've paid for has returned on their investment in terms of my presentation. I've included your comment in my journal. I just might recall it and use it at some point in the future. I'm looking forward to meeting you someday in the future as well.

Morgan

I may be wrong but, I think Rich is saying that you sound like a Buffalo, NY college professor whom was banned from this forum.

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I may be wrong but, I think Rich is saying that you sound like a Buffalo, NY college professor whom was banned from this forum.

Sorry, I might have misread the inference, but I ain't him... I' m not African-American, I'm not 60 years old and I don't have a doctorate degree.

Morgan

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I ain't him... I' m not African-American, I'm not 60 years old and I don't have a doctorate degree.

According to the ECC catalog (pdf link), neither does he: It lists his highest degree(s) as a M.S. from Syracuse University and either another M.S. or additional graduate study at Suny at Buffalo. This is the 2006-2008 catalog.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay let's move back to discussion on the "Pink Book" as that is what this thread is about.

For myself I do not use the Pink Book for anything other than to look at it once in a blue moon. It was not the best book in my opinion nor were any of the Professors books for that matter. Still it plays a part in the history of Modern Arnis and that is why I take a peek every now and then.
icon6.gif

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For myself I do not use the Pink Book for anything other than to look at it once in a blue moon. It was not the best book in my opinion nor were any of the Professors books for that matter. Still it plays a part in the history of Modern Arnis and that is why I take a peek every now and then.

I have to agree. Even the Yellow Book was a handy reference at first when I had, say, forgotten what a certain disarm was, but now it serves me mostly as something to refer others to if they are beginners in Modern Arnis.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which one is the Yellow Book, Arnisador? I have yet to see that one for myself :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's this book, referred to by its previous bright yellow cover. I have seen the yellow-covered version in bookstores within the last year.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahhh, OK, I recognize it now.

Also, if you click on the image of the book on the Amazon page, it opens to what must have been the original yellow cover. Way cool :ultracool

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I beg to differ, I think that the "Pink Book" has a wealth of info.

I actually learned redonda on my own because of the pink book.

I remember seeing a senior student at the first place I began learning Modern Arnis doing Redonda, and upon seeing him do it, I asked if he could teach me it. I was chided by the group that I was too new and it was too early to learn it and that I should wait.

Well with the help of the "Pink Book", I learned Redonda within a week's time on my own.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a note- In the yellow book , Jeff Arnold and Mike Replogle are the main training partners and simple mention that they are Michiganders. Several of the original Modern Arnis guys here in Michigan. Of course Charlie Brooks and I were way too far north to be included - he he

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a note- In the yellow book , Jeff Arnold and Mike Replogle are the main training partners and simple mention that they are Michiganders. Several of the original Modern Arnis guys here in Michigan. Of course Charlie Brooks and I were way too far north to be included - he he

Well I do not know Mike I have met Jeff Arnold and he is a good guy! Modern Arnis always has had an extremely strong presence in Michigan!
icon6.gif

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mike Replogle had a school of Modern Arnis in Hollywood California at one time. I went out and trained with him and stayed in the school- rough neighborhood. 2 shootings around the corner while I was there. Jeff Fields and Mark Parker were also heavy into modern Arnis . I never knew what happened to Jeff Arnold.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Replogle had a school of Modern Arnis in Hollywood California at one time. I went out and trained with him and stayed in the school- rough neighborhood. 2 shootings around the corner while I was there. Jeff Fields and Mark Parker were also heavy into modern Arnis . I never knew what happened to Jeff Arnold.

Jeff Arnold is still in the general Flint area and is working and pursuing his music career I believe. Jeff Fields was my second instructor and started me in Tae Kwon Do & Modern Arnis! Mark and I used to meet up on the tournament scene way, way back in the day in both Michigan and Chicago! I had heard alot of things about Mike but just never in the same area!

Palusut said: Sorry guys, I beg to differ, I think that the "Pink Book" has a wealth of info.

I remember seeing a senior student at the first place I began learning Modern Arnis doing Redonda, and upon seeing him do it, I asked if he could teach me it. I was chided by the group that I was too new and it was too early to learn it and that I should wait.

Well with the help of the "Pink Book", I learned Redonda within a week's time on my own.

That is cool, still personally for me the Professor's books are a historical type of book only. Just in the over all scheme of things they were not that great. Now Dan Andersons books are a whole different matter. They have alot and I do mean alot of information in them.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff Arnold is still in the general Flint area and is working and pursuing his music career I believe. Jeff Fields was my second instructor and started me in Tae Kwon Do & Modern Arnis! Mark and I used to meet up on the tournament scene way, way back in the day in both Michigan and Chicago! I had heard alot of things about Mike but just never in the same area!

Palusut said: Sorry guys, I beg to differ, I think that the "Pink Book" has a wealth of info.

That is cool, still personally for me the Professor's books are a historical type of book only. Just in the over all scheme of things they were not that great. Now Dan Andersons books are a whole different matter. They have alot and I do mean alot of information in them.

Jeff Arnold sold his club a few years ago to his top student. I thought he was still associated to the club and working with the owner and other black belts of the club.

Jeff Fields is a very important person for Modern Arnis in the Michigan area. He was the one who first saw him out of state (* California I believe and then in Chicago *) , and brought him into the state. I used to hang out at Playland Park in North Grand Blanc/South Burton and he was always in there. Some of his top students were those that helped keep the sytem growing in the 80's. I thought Jeff Fields went his way into business in owning properties and leasing them out.

Jim Power started with Privates with Jeff fields in the mid/late 70's and is still teaching and the senior at the club I teach at in Flint.

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
holy crap rich,you have been around awhile!! you feeling like the other old farts yet haha! oh and i have the yellow book and the white book both signed by RP but no pink book yet (i must speak to hartman). i shall look into Dan Anderson's book though if Brian says it is good.
later
Jason Arnold
CANADA

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
holy crap rich,you have been around awhile!! you feeling like the other old farts yet haha! oh and i have the yellow book and the white book both signed by RP but no pink book yet (i must speak to hartman). i shall look into Dan Anderson's book though if Brian says it is good.
later
Jason Arnold
CANADA

The white covered book titled: "The Practical Art of Escrima" is also good in my opinion. I like it. With the exception of a signed Pink Book as Ihad multiple copies, I lost the rest in a divorce.

As to books by others, I have most of Dan's MA books, I do not have them all mostly based upon laziness. He has both electronic and hard copies.

And yes, I take my old Fart medicine everyday, as I feel it more and more, with all you young punks (* Same time period or close enough to it *) all pick on my age. ;) :D :lol:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

I can respect that you are stating only your personal opinion.

With all due respect however, concerning Modern Arnis, while Dan has offered excellent commentaries, GM Presas' still wrote the book.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

Here in California on vacation with my family (Disneyland & San Diego Zoo and Seaworld). Celebrating both Thanksgiving and the annual observance and festival of the continued existence of me (my birthday is the 18th - still waiting for presents, folks!). Had some down time and came upon this thread again. A couple of comments:

Carol,
It's "Dan." I only ask my students (in a very stern tone of voice) to call me Professor. Thanks for the manners, though. If you are determined to be formal, you may refer to me as "Your Worship." I like that. :)

Brian,
Thanks for the comments on my books. All of you out in cyberland - listen to the young man and buy, buy, buy!

Rich misspeaks himself regarding being too lazy to buy my books. He's too cheap! Actually Rich and I are friends and I love to pick on him. My word of advice: keep asking him questions - he's got a lot more knowledge than many people expect, both technical and historical. He just doesn't shamelessly plug himself like some West Coast authors do. BTW, he is required to call me "Your Worship." :ultracool

Harold,
No offense taken. Prof. Remy laid down the ground work for us all with his teaching and his books/videos. Unfortunately for the western mind, he was not that much of an author. Rosemary helped big time with his books written in the PI and Renardo Barden (of Karate Illustrated magazine) finished his book for Ohara Publications. The magic was in the personal touch of the man.

My original aim the of the book writing was to clarify what he taught, not to be any kind of replacement for his teaching or to put myself in a position of greater authority (nobody is making that claim that I am, either). They turned out to be a catalyst for my finding my own way in FMA using Modern Arnis as a base of reference. What I have gotten from the writing of them has far exceeded what I was going for. I have met, trained with, and have taught with my older brothers in the PI. My branch of Modern Arnis has been certified in the PI as well. All from starting out in a seminar in 1980. Hell, I'm way off track here, aren't I. Too much time this morning with a good cup of coffee. Ahhh. All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

I can respect that you are stating only your personal opinion.

With all due respect however, concerning Modern Arnis, while Dan has offered excellent commentaries, GM Presas' still wrote the book.

Hey Harold there is absolutely no doubt that the Professor was the man.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
. . .
Rich misspeaks himself regarding being too lazy to buy my books. He's too cheap! Actually Rich and I are friends and I love to pick on him. My word of advice: keep asking him questions - he's got a lot more knowledge than many people expect, both technical and historical. He just doesn't shamelessly plug himself like some West Coast authors do. BTW, he is required to call me "Your Worship." :ultracool

. . .

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Your Worship or Grace or his Danness, ;)

I will show your quote to my friends and they will laugh at my legendary and world recognized cheapness. :D ;) :lol:

I do thank you for the kind words. I hope to someday have the time and words to express a book myself. I know it is not forth coming soon, as it is a lot of work. (* Plug to all authors - and nod for the work it takes *)

I would like to have some west coast weather now as I have this white fungus all over my yard and trees and such. Some call it snow, I call it a seasonal fungus. :D

I have expressed my opinion on the "pink" book and the the Practical Guide To Escrima as well. I like the "yellow" book for beginners and for additional basics. I like the pink book for a look at history and also a look at other basics. I like the Practical Book for lots of words and even more history, and also as the reference for what makes up a lot of "art" aspect of what we teach, such as the Cardinal Rules and Principals.

They are all good in their own manner. Read/browse a decide for yourself which to add to your personal library.

Latest Discussions