The Perfect Fighter?

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why kick somebody in the head, you wouldn't punch them in the big toe!

Punching in the toe doesn't lead to a knock-out, missing teeth, etc... too often :)

J

jkdhit

in no particular order..

aikido
tai chi
chi kung
jeet kune do
shinkage ryu

T

Troy Ostapiw/Canada

1)Muay Thai:- great striking ability.

2)Kune Tao:-great close quarter work for spontaneous assaults.

3)Modern arnis:-develops a simplistic approach to dealing with modern weapons.

4)BJJ:- solid grappling skills, good ground work (Modified for the street).

5)NSI Natural spirit Combatives: A Practical modern approach to self-defence that looks at street psychology, emotional climate training, based on sound tactics that have proven to work in today’s environment. NSI.

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
MMA = no weapons.
Real Life = no realistic way to stop a knife without a shield or a gun.
How many knife fights have you been in mr. expert?

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Why kick somebody in the head, you wouldn't punch them in the big toe!

Punching in the toe doesn't lead to a knock-out, missing teeth, etc... too often :)
true a punch to the toe doesnt result to injury..but a kick the the face does... see the difference?

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If that is directed at me the comment relates to the distance to the target v's the weapon of choice. Moving a shin up to the face is a lot longer journey than the fingers to the eyes for example, in silat we are taught fast multiple strikes that will disrupt the brain so that a finishing move can be applied and effeciency of motion is a major focus of our training, Regardless of the power of a kick to the head, an elbow hurts too, I would only use it if the head happened to be the closest thing to my shin. To do otherwise in my system and IMO would be an error of judgement in a real life encounter.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna re-do mine:

Sayoc Kali or Inosanto blend - Weapons, zoning, patterns, boxing, trapping
Gracie Jiu Jitsu - punch defense, ground (sweeps, reversals, positioning), and clinching
Shuai Chiao - Takedowns, throws, and slams
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu - as a base. it has a very wide range of technique
Muay Thai - clinching, knees, elbows, box patterns

but I wouldn't neglect Wing chun, Capoiera, catch wrestling, Judo, Iaijutsu, Tai chi, etc, they all have something to offer.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
5 styles for the perfect fighter;

Western Boxing: For superior punching ability as well as a strong stance.

Western Wrestling: For superior stand-up grappling as well as superior ground grappling control.

Muay Thai: For superior kicking skills as well as superior knees and elbows.

BJJ: For superior ground submissions skills.

Kalaripayattu: The first eastern martial art, for powerful pressure point takedowns and the unmatched agility and flexibility of any martial art.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
silatman said:
If that is directed at me the comment relates to the distance to the target v's the weapon of choice. Moving a shin up to the face is a lot longer journey than the fingers to the eyes for example, in silat we are taught fast multiple strikes that will disrupt the brain so that a finishing move can be applied and effeciency of motion is a major focus of our training, Regardless of the power of a kick to the head, an elbow hurts too, I would only use it if the head happened to be the closest thing to my shin. To do otherwise in my system and IMO would be an error of judgement in a real life encounter.
Well really, if you wanted to use a high kick effectively, you'd probably set it up in a similar way. Throwing one as the opening shot's not a great idea, but if you've hit them with a punch etc and they're just trying to back out of the range of your hands, there's your potential finisher. They're in range, distracted by your hands and not likely to be watching for (or notice) a rear leg kick before it's on them which makes the speed issue less of a problem.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1. American Kenpo -- Very encompassing Stand-Up game.

2. Systema -- Very Encompassing Overall

3. Vee Arnis Jitsu -- Very Encompassing Overall

4. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Ju Jitsu -- Very Encompassing Grappling game

5. Greco-RomanWrestling -- Clinching, Takedowns and Control

The conditioning I can do on my own seperate from 'martial arts style'.

Or maybe I should have said EPAK, TKD, Kung-Fu, Ju-Jitsu, and Kickboxing LOL

Kenpo_man

Orange Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
Tell that to Mirko Crocop!

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
MMA = no weapons.
Real Life = no realistic way to stop a knife without a shield or a gun.
LOL LOL LOL. From personal experience.........yes the knife can be stopped. From personal experience...........no the shield or gun is not needed. From personal experience......no one carries sheilds anymore except maybe riot cops and even a gun has to be aimed and shot before the knife cuts. Seen the knife win that battle up close before to (i.e. cutting the gun carrying hand causing the gun to be dropped). Lastly The Filipino Martial Arts exponents have made careers off of teaching very effective (read: realisitc) ways of stopping a knife. Oh yeah and they don't use a knife or gun either. LOL. Statements like these always make me smile. There are always people who think that something is an invinsible weapon. Be it a knife, a gun, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Kenpo, JKD or whatever somebody always comes up with something that's "impossible" to be stopped. ROTFLMAO from experience as history has shown numerous cases where every fool proof weapon has been fooled. Live and learn I guess.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Two part response -

As for the intitial question:
1. Thiang (think Muay Tai with better boxing skills)
2. Russian Sambo (brutal initial attacks!)
3. Greco Roman wrestling
4. Bando Python system (ground fighting, grappling, chokes and locks)
5. Escrima

I list these because I have some (even if very little for some) experience in them and they fit my personality and physical abilities. I'm sure that BJJ would be considered a better system than one or two on my list, but I don't like it, so it wouldn't be right for me...

Part two -

Twice in my life I have faced a knife. both times without a weapon of my own, and both times I won. It's the Person, not the style. I was better prepaired than them, and better trained. Yes I got cut the second time, but I won.

Knarfan

Green Belt
Reaction score
1.Muay tai
2.boxing
3.wrestling(as many styles as possible)
4.bjj
5.sayoc kali(or a well respected weapons system)

The reason that I list a weapons system is because IMO If you want to talk about developing the perfect fighter I think that weapons can't be ignored. It developes valuble awareness & sensitivity skills that most none weapons systems can't match(not to mention how it improves your emty hand skills). IMO.Especially if you are talking about a volatile street senario. One thing I do know is that you really should study a wide range of styles(tactics) & I think a list of 4 or 5 styles is a good plan.

R

ross3805

1- muay thai
2- boxing
3- free style wresling
4- no gi bjj

No need 4 a fifth

Latest Discussions