The Paths To Perfection

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"It is doubtful that anyone truly understands the "One True Way" of strategy, and certainly no one completely embodies it. However, warlords must have some grasp of strategy and they must teach it to their warriors, despite their own limited grasp. There is no one way to mastery, whichever way a man may proceed. Every form and style is ordered by the universal mind that enables one to approach mastery."---Musashi Myamoto (Book of Five Rings)

I thought this quote was interesting because it expresses a truism that many have said in one way or another. The style or art that one starts in is not so important as the starting itself. No one style is "perfect" nor does any one style have a complete grasp of fighting. I think that we all begin somewhere, and then we either continue on that same path towards mastery, or else we find that what we began with was not the be all and end all we hoped for and we find something that suits us better. It took me a long time to find Kajukenbo, for instance. I have found something that will challenge me for the rest of my life, but there were many years of other things that I trained in or tried that enabled me to recognize the value of what I ultimately found. Everyone's different, and what suits one, may not suit another, but getting there is the important thing.

How many here began the martial arts in something other than what they are training in now? For me it was Shotokan to brown belt, then a smattering of a lot of other things (JKD, Aikido, Judo, Boxing, Ninjitsu, Hsing-I, Tai Chi, and BJJ), then SKK to brown belt, before Kajukenbo.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"

How many here began the martial arts in something other than what they are training in now? For me it was Shotokan to brown belt, then a smattering of a lot of other things (JKD, Aikido, Judo, Boxing, Ninjitsu, Hsing-I, Tai Chi, and BJJ), then SKK to brown belt, before Kajukenbo.

For me it was just the opposite. I started in Kajukenbo and then wandered off. Did some TKD to brown belt, But when I could bust up my instructor, it was time to go. Did some boxing and dabbled in Muay Thai.

Finally came full circle back to my roots. Funny thing was, no matter what I did, I always compared it to Kaju. I guess I really wasn't happy till I made my way back. Kinda like the prodigal son.
icon12.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Getting to the top of any mountain, is never as much fun as the climb. Don't get me wrong, teaching and cultivating students, is very gratifying, but the days of lining up, were some of the best times ever. It was always a matter of scoping out a higher belt, and then striving to become better then them. It was the friendships along the way, born of sweat and sore muscles. It is being able to call Martial artist some of my best friends, people I have known all of my life. My choice was to stay with one art while dabbling with others to see where they fit in, and I don't regret it one bit. The era I came up in was one of very little choice, and now being an old dog, I just don't learn new tricks that easily. I don't think it takes a life time to learn a traditional art, but I feel it is a life long endeavor, of searching the kata, and applying what you already know in a different way. It has been stated in many posts and threads, here on MT, that there are many paths to choose from, but take it from someone on the other end of the spectrum, it is all about the fun and memories that one has to look back on, that really count. So it makes no difference if it is one art or many arts, once you decide to dig in and take a stand, the reason you had when you first walked into a dojo will have changed drastically. Enjoy. :asian:

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Getting to the top of any mountain, is never as much fun as the climb. Don't get me wrong, teaching and cultivating students, is very gratifying, but the days of lining up, were some of the best times ever. It was always a matter of scoping out a higher belt, and then striving to become better then them. It was the friendships along the way, born of sweat and sore muscles. It is being able to call Martial artist some of my best friends, people I have known all of my life. My choice was to stay with one art while dabbling with others to see where they fit in, and I don't regret it one bit. The era I came up in was one of very little choice, and now being an old dog, I just don't learn new tricks that easily. I don't think it takes a life time to learn a traditional art, but I feel it is a life long endeavor, of searching the kata, and applying what you already know in a different way. It has been stated in many posts and threads, here on MT, that there are many paths to choose from, but take it from someone on the other end of the spectrum, it is all about the fun and memories that one has to look back on, that really count. So it makes no difference if it is one art or many arts, once you decide to dig in and take a stand, the reason you had when you first walked into a dojo will have changed drastically. Enjoy. :asian:

I do often feel the pull, whenever I drive by any martial arts school, to drop everything and enroll there. The broad expanse of 'I don't know' combined with the bonus of not having the responsibility of being the guy in front of the class is seductive.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i seem to take up a new martial art every 3 years or so, even if just to dabble in for a bit. i love teaching, but it's hard to give up being a student.

jf

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
love the quote. I started in judo, brown...could not make enough tournaments due to working on the week end to make black. then kyokushin for about three belts, the shotokan for a year the aikido for 8 months, some sillum hung gar from a friend who was just shy of his black sash...7 months of Kaju and skk, which is my base art which i love and constantly question and learn from on its own and in relation to other arts

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started in Gojuryu, made it to brown and my instructor moved across country. I dabbled in everything I could find for about a year, then Al Tracy opened a kenpo school.

I was hooked.

MikeRitche

White Belt
Reaction score
In 1996 I got started in TKD and Danzan Ryu jujitsu at the same time(both were offered at the same school.) After a time, i decided to train in jujitsu only. After about 2 1/2 years(got to green belt,) my Instructor moved out of state (he has since moved back) and I needed a new place to train. We talked it over and decided that the local Kajukenbo school would be the best choice. That was in 1998, and have been doing Kaju ever since. I have also kept up on my jujitsu knowledge, and have been able to talk or meet up with my Inst on a some what regular basis.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Originally started in SKK. Made it to Brown and changed to EPAK, and now Tracy. Its funny how things work. I mean, you could be lucky and find 'the' school for you on the first shot. Other times, it'll take longer and you'll go thru a few different arts/schools, before you find the one that really makes you happy. I guess that old saying, "Good things come to those who wait." really is true. :ultracool

Latest Discussions