The Passing of Jerry Falwell

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right, searcher, screwing with funerals is just one of those Things That You Do Not Do like poisoning wells. I would have said "routinely torture people for no apparent reason in developed countries" but we now do the first and are rapidly leaving the realm of the second :(

But for Falwell I offer the traditional Sufi prayer which will be a curse or a blessing depending entirely on the state of the recipient's soul.

"May the Almighty give you exactly what you deserve."

Personally, I think that Falwell deserves horrors, pain and damnation in the bottom of one of the Buddhist Hells for a very long time.

He spent his career spreading hatred, bitterness, ignorance and superstition, glorified abysmal evil (RENAMO, apartheid and so on), and acted as if he, not G-d, held ultimate power and righteousness. Every time I saw some doddering old fanatic on the Old Time Gospel Hour say "Jerry Falwell is the Godliest man in the world, and I've knowed 'em" it was hard not to put a boot through the TV screen. Whenever I heard some sufficiently pretty blonde say in a sufficiently Southern accent "I know I have a peace which passeth understanding and every night I thank Him for giving it to me" and then realizing she was talking about Falwell, not Yeshua ben Miryam it was even more difficult. Yes, I used to watch the 700 Club and the OTGH. If nothing else it's good to know how the other side thinks.

What's more, he probably drove more souls away from G-d and thereby lost them to perdition than he could possibly have led towards the light. Doubters and seekers who saw him as the semi-official spokesman for the Church often rejected G-d because of the bile, hatred and calculated viciousness he so clearly embodied. I know that Christians have a Commission to spread the Word and are rewarded in the World of Truth for the souls they lead away from Hell. What do the theologians have to say about the other side of the ledger, the wages of those who are responsible for turning people away from G-d through disgust at His self-appointed messengers?

He did even worse. He treated the Lord, Creator and Master of the Universe like a cheap political prop, boldly proclaiming that he spoke for Him on matters from the exact funding levels of the B-1 bomber to the specifics of marginal tax rates. He used his G-d as a thing and encouraged others to do so. He did his damndest, and I use the term carefully, to turn the Body of Christ into a tool for the political elites to threaten all who opposed them with damnation. He made the Bride a whore for the Wealthy.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Final Judge thinks all of those things are just fine. The Torah instructs us that judgement is His. And we are told in the Quran "Allah alone knows best." And maybe Jerry Falwell had time to repent his evil in those final moments. I certainly hope so. But it is a serious trial for me to treat his passing with the compassion anyone's death deserves. He believed that I and almost everyone I care for is damned for all eternity. He encouraged his followers to treat us with hatred, hostility and suspicion. He believed we should not be considered true citizens of this Nation and helped drive the Church to a state where there is scant place for anyone who does not share his particular hates and phobias.

Excuse me if the tears I shed for him are few and small.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading the story I see that the student was trying to keep protestors from disrupting the funeral. It is truly sad that the Phelps family was going to protest this man's funeral. I wish they would just disappear.
As you sow, so shall you reap.

Latest Discussions