The Passing of Jerry Falwell

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
De mortui nulli nisi bonum, so I won't say a damned thing except that I hope his afterlife contains precisely what he deserves.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The lives of many I have known and cared for, who chose to walk a path not endorsed by this man, suffered adversely for his outspoken politics. There are few men in the world I am pleased to see leave it. He is one.

To those who will miss him, I pray time and spirit will numb your wounds and bring you peace.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
To those who had the opportunity to hear the man speak (rather than just read inflamatory reports about him in the press), he was well-spoken, cordial, and gracious to all (even to those with whom he disagreed, and to those who insulted and reviled him). He exhibited true humility in his interactions with others.

John Donne said:
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were. Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.

As Tellner said, De mortui nulli nisi bonum

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
With all due respect John Donne was full of little round things like goats leave. There are men whose death diminishes me not in the slightest. Quite the contrary. And there are those whose absence leaves the planet rotating perfectly well, thank you very much. Not saying that Jerry Falwell was one of them. But they're out there.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am... uhh, at a loss at what to feel for this guy's passing... so I'll just give a moment of silent thought and keep it to myself eh?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

These posts have been split off fromt he Hall of Remembrance thread and placed in the study. Please continue your discussion of this man's life here, and leave the Hall of Remembrance thread alone for those who wish to honor his memory and send prayers to his grieving family.

Lisa Deneka
MT Assist. Admin.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
De mortui nulli nisi bonum, so I won't say a damned thing except that I hope his afterlife contains precisely what he deserves.

I don't know the man but I do like the way Tellner put this!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"As you do unto the least of men so you also do unto me."

I will pray fervently for his redemption and forgiveness.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dang. If Falwell is a target, how bad must the rest of us be?

Anti-Gay Kansas Church Members Plan to Attend Falwell Funeral

Last month, the group released a music video entitled "God Hates the World." Sung to the tune of "We Are the World," the song changes the chorus to: "God hates the world and all her people, you, every one, face a fiery day for your proud sinning. It’s too late to change His mind, you lived out your vain lives, storing up God’s wrath for all eternity."

Pretty damn bad, I guess.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To those who had the opportunity to hear the man speak (rather than just read inflamatory reports about him in the press), he was well-spoken, cordial, and gracious to all (even to those with whom he disagreed, and to those who insulted and reviled him). He exhibited true humility in his interactions with others.

For another side of the story (seen on NC):
The Sad, Quotable Jerry Falwell

It's bad form to speak ill of the dead. Good thing this man's own vile words speak for themselves

Some selections from this list:

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."

"The abortionists have got to bear some burden for [the attacks of Sept. 11] because God will not be mocked."

"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."

"The ACLU is to Christians what the American Nazi party is to Jews."

"The argument that making contraceptives available to young people would prevent teen pregnancies is ridiculous."

"You know when I see somebody burning the flag, I'm a Baptist preacher I'm not a Mennonite, I feel it's my obligation to whip him. In the name of the Lord, of course. I feel it's my obligation to whip him, and if I can't do it then I look up some of my athletes to help me. But, as long as at 72 I can handle most of the jobs I do it myself, and I don't think it's un-spiritual. When I, when I, when I hear somebody talking about our military and ridiculing and saying terrible things about our President, I'm thinking you know just a little bit of that and I believe the Lord would forgive me if I popped him."

"The National Organization for Women (NOW) is the National Order of Witches."

"God doesn't listen to Jews."

Perhaps he was pleasant to those he met face-to-face. His public pronouncements, however, were another matter.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will give the anouncement of his funeral the same amount of attention that I gave the anouncements of his life's work...none whatsoever...I've got more important things in my life to think about...Like where can I get a cup of COFFEE flavored coffee in this country today?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like where can I get a cup of COFFEE flavored coffee in this country today?

Just once I'd like to go to a coffee shop, order a large, black coffee and not have some pimply faced teenager stare at me, not understanding what I want.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just once I'd like to go to a coffee shop, order a large, black coffee and not have some pimply faced teenager stare at me, not understanding what I want.

Then you are going to the wrong coffee shops... :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being the self elected president of the Imorral Minority. Our membership is just over 6 billion strong. (* If you are not with the Moral Majority you are against them. *) I wish him and his family the best in this time of loss. Hopefully Karma and the balance of the cosmic universe will make sure all comes out in the end.

:asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Bloody hell...that is so not cool...

The man is dead, leave his family be and let him rest in peace.

He believed in something, and stood for it. The people that don't like what he stood for are far better served by supporting causes that reflect their valuses, rather than wasting energy thinking ill of a dead man or engaging in the very judgementalism that his targets found vile.

OP
tellner

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this guy being disappeared and "extraordinarily renditioned" to some Black prison in a Third World Country. After all, he used illegal violence or the treat thereof (so many, MANY Federal crimes starting with the NFA, conspiracy to deprive people of their civil rights, attempted mass aggravated murder, et cetera ad infinitum ad nauseam) to alter the behavior of a society or a portion thereof. That has been the textbook definition of terrorism for a terribly long time. He was motivated by religious fanaticism and loyalty towards an extremist religious leader.

Hammer.
Nail.
Bang.

Gitmo, the waterboard, torture-lite and execution without a lawyer after a military tribunal. He's a terrorist.

Of course, his name isn't Ahmed, so he'll get ten years, tops.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
After reading the story I see that the student was trying to keep protestors from disrupting the funeral. It is truly sad that the Phelps family was going to protest this man's funeral. I wish they would just disappear. I am a conservative Christian and I did not always agree with him or his way of thinking, but let him exit this plane in a peaceful manour. May God bring him into his embrace and may he be rewarded for the great things he has done.

Latest Discussions