Saddam Hussein sentance to death

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, the first trial of Saddam has finished, ending in a guilty verdict and a sentance of death. Looks like its automatically going to be retried. This is going to stretch out for years it looks like...

The Iraqi High Tribunal on Sunday sentenced a combative Saddam Hussein and two other defendants to death by hanging for a brutal crackdown in 1982 in the Shiite town of Dujail.

Thoughts? Opinions?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wonder if they are going to take volenteers to pull the trap lever?

Me! Me!, Pick me I want to do it!!

Rotten begger, couldn't think of a more deserving guy.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanging is too quick... other than that, I agree.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanging isn't that quick. If your neck doesn't snap, you choke to death...can take a while.

I'm sure he got a fair trial though.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this really a surprise to anyone....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was gonna happen and we all knew this so why did we waste all that money on a trail

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO this may turn him into a matyr, much better put him at hard labor for the rest of his natural life, THEN have him rot him hell. Death for him is too easy, make him suffer a bit.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
It was gonna happen and we all knew this so why did we waste all that money on a trail

No doubt. But then nobody can come back later and claim that this poor mis-understood individual who had a tramatic childhood just needed a hug to make him all better.

Let the neck stretching begin!

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
The mere fact that given the political situation, and the fact our troops were in an absolutely perfect position to save everyone the time and cost of a trial with a more-or-less foregone conclusion, and just waste him on contact when they found him, but did not, and that apparently when taken into custody he did have his omnipresent Browning Hi-Power on his person,(could have chosen to go out fighting but for whatever reason did not), the mere fact he got a trial at *all* is, I think, more than testament enough to that.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hanging isn't that quick. If your neck doesn't snap, you choke to death...can take a while.

I'm sure he got a fair trial though.

Depends on where the knot is placed.

If the knot is placed on the back of the neck, then the hangee (is that a word?) will generally choke to death, which as you stated earlier, does take a while.

If the knot is on the side of the neck, the vast majority of times, the neck simply snaps.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It would seem to me, that with death threats against the prosecutors, with death threats against the judges, with actual kidnappings and executions among those participating in the trial, and their families, as well as changing trial officials throughout the trail, that there are many reasons to believe that justice was not blind.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301779.html

It's fair to say that really the tribunal failed to meet key fair-trial standards in its conduct of this Dujail trial," {Richard} Dicker {of Human Rights Watch} said by telephone from New York. The failures, he said, will "put into serious question the legitimacy of the verdict."

Here's another article that raises the question ... from a year ago.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1019/p01s02-woiq.html

Arizona Angel

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He is going to die, and he knows it. Bet he knows where he is going after death too. I do feel sorry for the guy in that aspect all by itself.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I thought I remember hearing that the ones who helped him out of his hole were very polite. It seems like his legs were a little wobbly but they kept helping him up everytime he tripped and fell. Good to hear. :) Poor guy. His legs were really wobbly from being in that hole so long...........