the multilanguage MA-terms table

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth, the official Kukkiwon definition of ap chigi is a forward backfist. Not sure about other styles/organizations - other groups might use it refer to "front strikes" more generally?

Japanese for backfist is ura uke.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here are some common sword terms for cuts:

Diagonal cut: German: Zornhau. Italian: Fendente. Japanese: Kesa Giri
Vertical cut: German: Scheitelhau. Japanese: Shomen Uchi
Rising Cut: German: Unterhau. Italian: Sottano. Japanese: kirage, gyaku kesa giri
Horizonal cut: German: Mittelhau. Italian: Mezzano. Japanese: yoho giri
Thrust: German: Stich: Italian: Punta: Japanese: Tsuki

Any descending cut, regardless of angle: German: Oberhau. Thus both Zornhau and Scheitelhau are Oberhauen.

OP
MAfreak

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Japanese for backfist is ura uke.
nope, uke are blocks. uraken or better uraken uchi for backfist strike.

@Langenschwert thank you, i don't know why "zornhau" (means angry strike) but the rest of the german terms make sense and its funny to read it here (i'm german).

i didn't read the whole thread here, when i have more time and feel like it, i'll add your terms to the table.
also there could be others like gym | dojo | dojang or tracksuit | gi | dobok, while here i don't know if its the correct english term. :D

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Langenschwert thank you, i don't know why "zornhau" (means angry strike) but the rest of the german terms make sense and its funny to read it here (i'm german).

Yes, the Zornhau means "Wrath Strike" and is a diagonal downward strike from the shoulder. It was so-called because it is an instinctive strike that an angry person might do. Sometimes called the Streithauw or Vatterstreich.

Here are some more terms form the old Fechtbucher:

Krumphau is "Crooked Strike" which is a vaguely windshield-like motion of the blade in front of you, often used as a parry.

Zwerchhau "Thwart/Cross Strike" is a mittelhau with the back edge with the hands held high.

Scheitlehau "Scalp Strike" vertical downward cut with the hands held high

Schielhau "Squinting Strike" downward diagonal or vertical strike with the back edge

There is a rather developed technical vocabulary in the books that is quite consistent between masters. Common terms like uberlauffen, durchlauffen, hendetrucken, winden, hengen, absetzen, ablauffen... the list goes on. There are a few differences with modern German, such as the guard "Vom Tag" meaning "From the Roof", not "From the Day", since the alternate pronunciation was "Vom Dach" and was sometimes written as such. Likewise the name of the guard "Alber" meaning "Fool" has not been preserved in modern German as it was used back then. The manuals also often make a distinction between "shoulder" and "armpit" that is no longer used in modern German either. My "fechtschule German" is way better than my "dojo Japanese". :)

Joachim Meyer has a large number of "named strikes" that you might enjoy like Prellhau, Kronhau, etc.