The Military Discussion of Wing Chun

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To answer your question:
Now the ideas and concepts of control, use of force, proportionality, etc all hold, since they are shared by military and martial arts. But in what ways would WC help in such a situation.

Well....Let answer your question concerning how Wing Chun could help a Military Soldier. Now my answer will be civilian based...Since I have little to No information on how the Military Tactics of Hand to Hand Combat works.

You said:"Civilian approaches solider, grabs his rifle and starts screaming at him in Farsi. Soldier can't reach his side arm and the aggressor is controlling the rifle."

Now in this case if its a Non-combatant. Their are a couple of ways you can take care of the situtation. If the Civilian doesn't have a Weapon. You can hold your gun with both hands. Try to twist your gun out of his grasp by rotating it or turning with your elbow as threating force aiming towards his head. I suggest putting the gun on safety just in case. Keep the hole of gun turned away from your body at all times. Maybe while twisting your drop kick him in the side of his knee or front kick really hard in the thigh near the groin. If your flexible enough do a chain kick. Kick side of Knee alternate to opposite thigh then kick possibly the wrist of the assailiant as step forward an stomp the knee. If he is a Non-Civilian or an combatant do the above with another power to break the knee. While possibly elbowing the face at the same time. Or you could reach with one hand grabbing the fingers or side of palm and twisting his hand backwards to his pain thresh hold while kicking repeately the side of knee or groin to make him release. If you have steel toe boots possibly use the toe of shoe to snap kick the groin,pelvis or gonads. When the combatant lets go of the gun follow up with elbow strike to hit with butt of the gun then follow up with securing measures unto your fire team re-connects with you. Lets say your cut off from Bravo team and their ETA is two minutes. This little hand interactation may give you enough time for an officer who translate Farsi to come an clear matters up. If the Combatant turns out to be Armed then needless to say. Shot him as soon as the sights of your gun lines up with his person's. But if he is not a Foe then keep him secure by placing pressure down on middle of his spine with your boot so he can not get up an have your gun drawn on him until Fire Team Rendevues with you.

Chain kicks are consecutive kicks. Wing Chun also employs elbow strikes that are use to release gaurds or grabs as well as strike vital points. A Downard Diaganol Elbow strike would work nicely against an Civilian or Combatant that has he his hands on you or your gun. Along with Pulling the gun outward from his reach while Simutaneously kicking his foundation to unsteady his root. Allowing you to kick him or sweep him to ground so he can be secured with the knee or foot in his back and spine. If you can cuff him one handed while holding your M-16 Rifle do so. But never loose your gun. If you can't reach your Gun in the holster. What about a knife. Why not use the knife to slice the wrist holding the end of M-16. Then he will let go and you can proceed to ordering him to get down on he knees and turn around so he can be secured?

But these are just ideas that are coming in my head of possibly solutions. If you are a military guy who practices Wing Chun you may be able to share more details?

Than I please share your feed back?

If we're going to talk single instances and applications....I would be interested to know, as a Tang Soo Do practitioner with only 2 seminar's worth of WC knowledge, in what military instances WC may be applicable.

disclaimer - I'm using the word soldier here in place of saying "Soldier, Marine, Airman, or Seaman" every time.
For example, A solder is wearing full body armor (very thick vest with two 15 lb plates (one in front, one in back)), plus a helmet, holding a rifle, possible wearing a thigh or drop holster with a hand gun in it, and in military uniform (so combat boots, plus BDUs or service equivalent). Said soldier is out of his convoy (on the ground) doing civil interaction type of stuff. Civilian approaches solider, grabs his rifle and starts screaming at him in Farsi. Soldier can't reach his side arm and the aggressor is controlling the rifle.

Now...within MCMAP and Army Combatives, this situation is dealt with pretty straight forward. Since they are designed SPECIFICALLY for troops holding weapons and include a robust section on fighting with those weapons. Now the ideas and concepts of control, use of force, proportionality, etc all hold, since they are shared by military and martial arts. But in what ways would WC help in such a situation?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions