The Martial Art Style Paragraph

D

Drunken Master

I have been studying ITF Taekwon-Do in the UK for one and a half years now. In this time I have heard names of other martial arts, but don't really know much about them.

So it is for this reason that I would like people to post a paragraph describing as fully as possibly, yet brief about their martial art.

For example;

Taekwon-Do (ITF)
1955 saw the christening of Tae Kwon-Do when General Choi, Hong Hi presented the concepts and name of this Korean martial arts form to a distinguished panel of Korean leaders. Gen. Choi, the father of Tae Kwon-Do, was able to do so only after exhaustive research, experimentation, and study. The martial art which consists of of 75% kicking techniques and 25% hand techniques is an amalgamation of the best parts of arts General Choi has already learnt.

So now it's your turn.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DM,
You can find a few posts about my style/system under the Filipino heading.
Shadow

OP
B

Battousai

k, here is some stuff about Karate-Aiki-Jitsu. (More correctly called Jujitsu, but most Jujitsu around in the States is throw concentrated.)

Historically what is called Karate-Aiki-Jitsu dates back to the Nara period, 700 AD in Japan. It was developed by samurai clans. It contains within its regiment techniques classified today as Jujitsu, Karate, Aikido, KenJutsu, IaiJutsu, and all the other Jutsu relating to weapons. Central to this system is the practice of kata (karate kata, multiple participant jujitsu/kenjutsu kata) and the development of bunkai. Knowledge of bunkai is held in highest regard. Basic weaponless self defense centers on karate basics, Atemi, traditional stances, Kuzushi, Sante waza, Nage waza, etc. Typical training includes Tameshi Wari, Randori, Jiyu Kumite and Osoinowaza.

OP
C

Chiduce

My Martial art or system in which i teach and study is relatively new to the martial community. Even though i teach another system, i will comment on only this one. Dragon Kenpo was founded by a Tracy Kenpo Black Belt named Ed. Hutchison. This is a non-traditional unarnmed system of brutal street self defense. It incorporates elements of shaolin kung fu, american kenpo, jujitsu, judo, boxing, and aikijutsu. Now, the derivative of Ed. Hutchison Dragon Kenpo which i teach is called Clandestine Black Dragon Kenpo Karatejutsu. This very brutal martial street combative incorporates the complete dragon kenpo analogy, american Kenpo equation formula and three phase conceptuality, 5 animal qi gong fists plus the eagle's talon, shorin-ryu kicking methods, combat judo, jujitsu and military clandestine combatives. If you would like more info on this brutal street combative system and myself, go to http://www.chiduce.swsites.net Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
F

fist of fury

You can find info about mine under the Wing Chun board

OP
S

Shinzu

nice topic here:)

Tang Soo Do:

around 2000 years ago korea was seperated into 3 kingdoms. Kogoryo, Paekgi, and Silla.

one of the kingdoms (silla kingdom) sent a corp of elite troops (the Hwa Rang Dan) to china to learn martial arts. with china's help silla defeated the other 2 kingdoms and united korea (668ad).

with WWII and japan in control of korea. martial arts was prohibited. many took refuge in the moutains to preserve their art. after the war many schools were formed and practiced.

TSD traces it's roots back to the moo duk kwan (school of martial virtue).
:asian:

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, if you don't mind my copying a handout we got, I'll give you a summary of its description of Northern Shaolin Long Fist Style Kung Fu. (No major background/history section to it though.)

"Long Fist is typically the first style learned by students in Chinese Martial Arts because it prepares them for any other style! The required extreme flexibility (of arms, back, legs, etc.), great power, and lightning speed all contribute to Long Fist's high difficulty. The movements are long. Long-arm swinging motions and long whirling kicks are common. Jumps are also a featured movement as some of the most difficult jump kicks are performed. Long Fist practitioners never yell; they rely on their body to make sounds for them. The sounds include many slaps, whooshes, and stomps. Long Fist emphasizes kicks over hand techniques stressing full extension of the limbs so that kicks and punches extend as far as possible without compromising balance or power. The Northern Shaolin practitioner generates power from a combination of great speed and large, flowing movements, picturing his hands and feet as strong compact stones while his arms and legs are ropes. The limbs remain supple and relaxed during movement and only tighten when fully extended. Like all Traditional Martial Arts, Long Fist emphasizes development of proper fighting skill required to defend oneself as well as spiritual and mential development."

How's that? It sounds something like a sales pitch to me, but that's the basic description we were given.