The Latest Crime Wave - Sending your child to a better school

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or its like being forced to buy rotten apples while your neighbors are forced to buy slightly worm ridden apples. There actually is no moral high ground here because everyone is having money taken from them and having a product forced down their throats. Can you blame any one for trying to game this unfair system?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

You bring up another subject that tempts me to mount my soap box. The federal government is too much involved in State business. Education always was, and should still be, a State matter. How ridiculous that the federal government spends money to take money from us in taxes, then supports a bureaucrocy to give it back to the states with many strings on it? Why is the federal government involved in that? Who says they are better at it? I didn't grow up that way and I personally don't agree with it. By the legislaters we have elected, and their need for re-election money, we have allowed to much of State's business to go the the federal government.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As silly as I find charging her with two felonies to be, and while I agree that this wasn't a theft case, she did provide false information to the State in order to gain access to a better school. This fact alone rightfully should affect her attempt to become a teacher. Unless you want an educator instructing students or their parents on how to get around local rules.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As silly as I find charging her with two felonies to be, and while I agree that this wasn't a theft case, she did provide false information to the State in order to gain access to a better school. This fact alone rightfully should affect her attempt to become a teacher. Unless you want an educator instructing students or their parents on how to get around local rules.

if she had been somebody of status we would not have this discussion.
On many levels.
I know that this address thing has been going on for a long time and will not go away any times soon either.

She should have moved in with her father....then all would be legal.

I don't get it. A lady I worked with had to take her kids out of school mid school year because they finally had saved up enough money to move from a rental onto their own property. All within driving distance, but hell no, somebody talked, she had to take her kids out of that school. Crazy if you ask me.

To me that illustrates that education is really not a concern. At least not of those who make policy. After all, to get into that position you have to have money and that traditionally opens doors and possibilities. (like around here: if you don't have the money for private school, you are stuck in the bad school, that only gets worse with the interested students departing)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Michigan, the state pays each school a dollar amount per student. So by taking your kid out of that local school by fraud, you are in fact also taking money from that school. Back when I was in school, parents would make sure they moved to a district with a "good school" in it, even if that meant renting a lower income house or apartment in that jurisdiction. Those kids did would do whereever they went because they had parents that emphasized the importance of their education.

I don't think money is the key. One of our local high schools has more opportunties than most of the other local/rural schools. The elementary schools feeding into that school system score very high on the standard tests, but by junior high and high school, they are some of the lowest. Why? they lose kids because the prevailing culture in those schools (talking with many of them and teachers at those schools) is that getting an education is selling out and if their peers know they are getting good grades they will be harassed and/or assaulted for doing so. You can dump all of the money you want into a school like that, but you aren't fixing the cause.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Or its like being forced to buy rotten apples while your neighbors are forced to buy slightly worm ridden apples. There actually is no moral high ground here because everyone is having money taken from them and having a product forced down their throats. Can you blame any one for trying to game this unfair system?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Parents in America are not required to accept this. Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states.

Due to the nature of the public schools in our area, and the distance that we would have to travel to get to the nearest private school (not to mention the expense), we determined that homeschooling was the best option for our family. It has worked out extremely well for us and we are currently in the middle of our 9th year of it.

In our state, homeschoolers pay for all of their own schooling and testing materials. In a few districts, homeschool students are permitted to join public school students in extracurricular activities such as band or sports, but more commonly homeschoolers are banned from such activities. Regardless, I pay the same amount in taxes as I would if we were using the public school system. So basically, I am paying double for the privilege of homeschooling. A price I consider to be well worth it.

(And to reassure those who will inevitably accuse us of socially depriving our child, she has a full social calendar, filled with church, 4-H, shooting sports, and martial arts activities.)

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is why homeschooling has a big target painted on it. The democrats are coming after them because the teachers unions cannot tolerate people teaching their kids free from union sanctioned educators. Home schoolers really need to pay attention to their local, and state politics and what the teachers unions are doing at the state and federal level.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is why homeschooling has a big target painted on it. The democrats are coming after them because the teachers unions cannot tolerate people teaching their kids free from union sanctioned educators. Home schoolers really need to pay attention to their local, and state politics and what the teachers unions are doing at the state and federal level.

Can you actually form a thought without having political propaganda intertwined with it?!

I can tell you why a lot of homeschooling parents put that bulls eye on this option: They are no smarter than the average rock you find on the side of the road.
They choose homeschooling over having their children infected by such radical thoughts like evolution. Or they don't want their precious spawn having to share the bus with that nappy haired jungle bunny from the next block.

I have come in contact with some really scary results of homeschooling. And those are the shining examples, because the good cases (met one, too - that I know off) do not make ripples. So leave it to those folks who themselves never finished school to take it on to educate their kids. It has disaster written all over it!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parents in America are not required to accept this. Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states.

Due to the nature of the public schools in our area, and the distance that we would have to travel to get to the nearest private school (not to mention the expense), we determined that homeschooling was the best option for our family. It has worked out extremely well for us and we are currently in the middle of our 9th year of it.

In our state, homeschoolers pay for all of their own schooling and testing materials. In a few districts, homeschool students are permitted to join public school students in extracurricular activities such as band or sports, but more commonly homeschoolers are banned from such activities. Regardless, I pay the same amount in taxes as I would if we were using the public school system. So basically, I am paying double for the privilege of homeschooling. A price I consider to be well worth it.

(And to reassure those who will inevitably accuse us of socially depriving our child, she has a full social calendar, filled with church, 4-H, shooting sports, and martial arts activities.)

You are using the public school system. You use it when a public school graduate fixes your car, or cooks your food (note that these could well be trades program graduates, not some sort of loser). You use it when some kid who would be running the street otherwise is warehoused so that he's not hassling you when you homeschool. You use the public school system in any of myriad ways, indirectly or directly.

By the way -- I don't have a problem with homeschooling, in principle. I do occasionally have a problem with particular applications. So long as the homeschooling designed to produce a positive product, not for example, to justify keeping women barely educated and subservient... It's fine.

Latest Discussions