The Ides of March

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After reading the "Pi Day" thread, I realized that today is the Ides of March.

Doing a little online searching, I discovered that other months have Ides too, just not as infamous as March....

Q. What are the "ides of March"?

A. In the ancient Roman calendar the "ides" was the fifteenth day of March, May, July, and October, and the thirteenth day of the other months. On March 15, 44 BC, Gaius Julius Caesar was assassinated by conspirators in the Senate House in Rome. In Shakespeare's play, Caesar passes through a public square and hears someone shout his name. Hushing the crowd, he asks the voice to speak again. A soothsayer comes into view and warns Caesar to "Beware the ides of March", but, unfortunately, Caesar ignores his premonition: "He is a dreamer; let us leave him: pass" (24).
I don't think anyone will pop up yelling, "Beware the ides of July!"...but you never know.

Feisty Mouse said:
After reading the "Pi Day" thread, I realized that today is the Ides of March.

Doing a little online searching, I discovered that other months have Ides too, just not as infamous as March....

I don't think anyone will pop up yelling, "Beware the ides of July!"...but you never know.

I am always aware of the Ides of March, and Today was another one of those at work that represents it :( ;)

Rich Parsons said:
I am always aware of the Ides of March, and Today was another one of those at work that represents it :( ;)
Oh no...

Did you have a lousy day, or did someone assassinate the local Caesar?

Back