The greed of mankind

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting story, where a K-Mart store had a computer glitch that granted significant lines of credit to anyone, even if they should never have been given one.

What is rather irritating, is seeing where people actually thought they were getting "free money."

Story here.

The store was running a promotion in which it would give away $10 to anyone applying for its credit card, but the computer glitch led to everyone's application being granted -- bestowing up to $4,000 in instant credit to anyone who applied even if they shouldn't have qualified.

Once word started to spread about the so-called "free money" Saturday, witnesses said things got pretty nuts inside the Wauwatosa store.

"It was a nice brawl. It came from inside to outside. If you go up there, you'll see hair, earrings, all pulled out on the ground," Wilson said.[/quote]

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am always amazed by stories like that..

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is rather irritating, is seeing where people actually thought they were getting "free money."

Which in itself explains why they didn't qualify for credit in the first place. "I can has $4,000?"

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I like this quote, because it sounds like a karate movie!

A store employee got punched in the nose and crashed through a glass display case. He was treated for a broken nose and various cuts.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a little confused...the deal is you get $10 credit toward the card if you're accepted, but the glitch caused everyone to be accepted. Where did $850-4000 a piece come from? I can't see people getting into fist fights over $10, but $850-4000, yeah.

My favorite was the mention of people buying applications from another store and hawking them for $20 in the parking lot. No mix-up or confusion there, that's just unabashed, opportunistic greed.

Personally, I would chalk this story up to the almost primal selfishness and obsession that hits shoppers during the holidays. Remember the Tickle-Me-Elmo fiasco some years back? Yeah, same thing.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I particulary love the way the news makes us all think that we are going to ruin the economy if we dont go out and spend Spend SPEND. Every year its "shoppers are tightening their belts this year threatening to send the economy into a recession...."

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every year its "shoppers are tightening their belts this year threatening to send the economy into a recession...."

And EVERY year they are out at 3 AM the day after Thanksgiving spending their butts off..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And EVERY year they are out at 3 AM the day after Thanksgiving spending their butts off..

Yea I listen to my parents talk about they have little or no money but every single one was out shopping on black Friday spending what they cannot offord because little johnny needs this and that.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
"It was a nice brawl. It came from inside to outside. If you go up there, you'll see hair, earrings, all pulled out on the ground," Wilson said.

People going into a violent frenzy over 4k. This is a sad commentary on Joe average American. Civilized society my ***.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But it never seems to be enough neh?

I used to work in retail and the managers were expected to increase sales by a specific percentage EVERY YEAR. How can businesses expect never ending increases?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They may have been dumb enough to confuse credit cards and gift cards. They were expecting to see $10 on their 'gift card' and found up to $4000.

Doesn't make sense to me, but people have thought and done much worse things.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
They may have been dumb enough to confuse credit cards and gift cards. They were expecting to see $10 on their 'gift card' and found up to $4000.

Doesn't make sense to me, but people have thought and done much worse things.

Three words: Cabbage. Patch. Kids.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOO

That just gave me a very bad flashback form long long ago when I decided to make some extra cash working in Retail at Christmas during the ……. “Cabbage patch Craze”

It was not pretty
I always preferred the Garbage Pail kids to the Cabbage Patch kids. We were just talking about those very toys in the dojo the other night as a kind of turning point in our society. Never before had I ever heard of someone getting into a fist fight over a TOY in public. It was at that point that I realized that many folks in this world are just plain stooopid.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I always preferred the Garbage Pail kids to the Cabbage Patch kids. We were just talking about those very toys in the dojo the other night as a kind of turning point in our society. Never before had I ever heard of someone getting into a fist fight over a TOY in public. It was at that point that I realized that many folks in this world are just plain stooopid.

I had to tell an adult male to go to the back of the line because the people in the line started yelling he cut in line. We had to have police present at one point because people (adults) were hanging around in the store, refusing to leave and getting into shoving matches because they knew we were going to be putting Cabbage patch dolls out later that day. One guy almost got arrested for refusal to comply with the orders of an LEO. You’re not kidding it was a turning point

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of you single out the shoppers, and I have no sympathy for the ignorant or the greedy.

This store is going to take a multi-dimension bath on this, and deservedly so.

I wonder how many insane shoppers got a temp card and maxed it out right there on that day's shopping. The chances of those debts being paid are about zero.

Upper level management will have to sift through this, and will likely send cancellation notices. These will bring shrieks from those who now figure they have a "right" to the card.

Sounds like everyone involved will ultimately get screwed here.... and that to me is justice served raw.

Happy Holidays.

Latest Discussions