The Depp of a Movie Star's Generosity

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Report: Johnny Depp Leaves $4K Tip For Chicago Waiter
June 24, 2009
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/access-hollywood-johnny-depp-tip.html
CHICAGO, Ill. -- Johnny Depp has previously said that money isn't the key to happiness.
But during a visit to a Chicago restaurant, the star certainly brought joy to one unsuspecting waiter with a reported sizable tip.
Depp, his "Public Enemies" co-star Marion Cotillard, director Michael Mann, along with about a dozen other folks -- who were in Chicago last week for the premiere of their new gangster movie -- made a stop at Gibsons Steakhouse around 11:30 PM, according to the Chicago Sun Times.
Once the bill came around 2:30 AM -- totaling up to a reported $4,400 -- Depp made sure the man who waited on the group into the late hours was well compensated for his time, as Mohammaed A. Sekhani reportedly received a $4,000 tip from the star.
Usually a $4400.00 bill would garner a 15% tip of $660.00, but obviously Depp saw how hard the guy worked and how he was willing to stay up and keep serving long after they closed, appreciated it... A LOT!
I don't see this as a gimmick or a smarmy way to get more attention. Depp is a huge star by all rights and purposes so I think he probably has a generous nature.

Now, if he would ONLY come on one of my Ruby Falls Cave tours... :rolleyes:

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How a person tips is a true measure of their character, IMO. I know this because I waited tables in college :).

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How a person tips is a true measure of their character, IMO. I know this because I waited tables in college :).
'

I've waited tables. It really sucked. Some people like it, though.

My formula: everyone starts at 20%, and it works up or down from there, depending on the waiter's performance. I seldom have to tip less than 15%, and even more seldom tip 25% or more, but I am known as a "good tipper," and the restaurants that know us as "regulars" know us that way, and as "good customers."

What Depp did was above and beyond, and shows loads of class, under the circumstances, but it's relative. A guy who's going to foot the bill for a $4000 steak dinner really doesn't care about another $4000 tip. It's generous, and classy, but it's not like he woke up today saying, What did I do????, like the guy who wasted $2500 on lap-dances the previous night. :lfao:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depp though seems to have done this a few times in the past. Couple of people I know who've dealt with him says he's a genuinely nice guy.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
'

I've waited tables. It really sucked. Some people like it, though.

My formula: everyone starts at 20%, and it works up or down from there, depending on the waiter's performance. I seldom have to tip less than 15%, and even more seldom tip 25% or more, but I am known as a "good tipper," and the restaurants that know us as "regulars" know us that way, and as "good customers."

What Depp did was above and beyond, and shows loads of class, under the circumstances, but it's relative. A guy who's going to foot the bill for a $4000 steak dinner really doesn't care about another $4000 tip. It's generous, and classy, but it's not like he woke up today saying, What did I do????, like the guy who wasted $2500 on lap-dances the previous night. :lfao:
I waited tables as well in several different places. At a two star mexican restaurant the tips were pretty decent but not great. Worked at a Pizza Hut as a waiter... that totally sucked. Hence forth I tend to tip pretty good whenever I dine in there or other places where I'm being served. Other places weren't all that good ... maybe I was a crappy waiter or simply where I worked at the patrons weren't that generous.
I get tips now as a tour guide and some days are alright, others suck and some just down right fantastic. Last Monday I managed $65.00 whereas my average is 15-20 bucks with an average of 3 tours a day. Some of the other guides have better averages.

Mr. Depp has indeed a good reputation as being genuinely a good guy all around from other sources I've read. He's not the highest paid star in Hollywood but among the top 10. Still this hasn't gone to his head obviously. It's nice to know that those who rise to stardom are able to keep a reasonable sense of themselves as everyday persons doing a job and getting well paid for it.

Latest Discussions