The Deep History of ... well ... Me :D

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can heartily recommend this series on Sky Atlantic for those interested in a bit of 'potted' history. It is an examination of the history of the British done with comments from present day 'celebs' as well as historians and presented in a sequence of dramatic reconstructions:

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/shows/the-british

Be warned that it is on the superficial side, as you'd expect from anything done for mass consumption these days {apparently the peasants can't understand anything more complicate :tdown:} and a couple of 'wrong' myths are promulgated but it is an entertaining watch and won't lead you too far astray as a starting point for understanding the broad sweep of events.

For me, it just brings home how different the world would be if the Anglo Saxons had triumphed at the battle of Hastings - but, in one of those eternally tormented historical riddles, would it be a better world if that happened?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That looks quite good....and the site is mobile-friendly, I may even be able to catch a bit at work tomorrow :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least the Normans weren't French but actually Vikings if that makes you feel any better! Though the Angles and the Saxons were both invaders!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course, you're all invaders and usurpers as far as my people are concerned. The Cymry were there first, and so remain. My own name reflects my heritage and line of kingship back to Madoc.

My last ancestor of English birth, Francis Mattocks, was born in 1795, Membury, Axminster District, County of Devon, left England and settled in Gasconade County, Missouri, from whence my father's line descends.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went past Membury two weeks ago on the way back from Cornwall, Bill if you ever get the chance go there, it's beautiful. Of course I'm English only because I was born here, Scottish father, Dutch mother.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Went past Membury two weeks ago on the way back from Cornwall, Bill if you ever get the chance go there, it's beautiful. Of course I'm English only because I was born here, Scottish father, Dutch mother.

I would love to visit someday. That is one thing that is definitely on my bucket list. Another is to visit the part of the country where my first American ancestors settled down and see with my own eyes the land that they were granted land patents on. I have copies of the patents, but have never seen the property itself.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a castle in Germany that carries my family name. I'd be interested to see that. I'd also be interested in knowing the history of why the crest is a jumping trout.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread. I find history, especially if it has a familial link very interesting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
battle of Hastings -

I have absolutely no idea why but every single time I hear or read "The Battle of Hastings" my very next thought is 1066. Name any other battle i history I will have to look up the date but the Battle of Hastings was in 1066 and I always know that for some reason.

Oh and it is likely that I had ancestors who were invader of the British Ilse.... at one point.... that pesky group Norseman you know... but that's OK I had relatives asked to leave Scotland by King James the 1st so it all evens out in the end...historically

Latest Discussions