The current state of various Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/Wing Tsun groups after the pandemic and in the modern age of MMA?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the current state of various Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/Wing Tsun groups after the pandemic and in the modern age of MMA? Just last night I was trying to contact some old colleagues in several different WC/VT/WT organizations to get more information regarding the recent death of an esteemed Escrima instructor we had known. I was at surprised at how many of the old websites I had checked in on over the years were not active.

Well, in some cases that shouldn't have been surprising I guess ...at least with folks operating small scale operations who, like me are getting older and retiring from public instruction. But in other cases I couldn't find a current online contact for what had once been some pretty big organizations such as Emin Boztepe's EBMAS, etc.

Is it just me using archaic contact methods, like looking for a website, rather than newer forms of social media? Or is it just that the particular groups I happened to be looking for had disappeared at a greater rate? Or is it something bigger? How many of the traditional WC/WT/VT groups are shrinking and even closing their doors in this modern age, what with the aging sifus retiring and the younger generation going elsewhere to other arts or sports?

Judging from the shrinking numbers and increasing average age of the posters here in the WT forum, and on other traditional MA forums as well, I must say I'm a little concerned and disappointed. Tell me I've got it wrong. How are your organizations doing? As the old sifus retire, is the next generation shouldering the mantel and carrying the art forward? For those of you in other traditional martial arts besides WC, what is your situation?

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about this as well. It seems these forums have become extremely inactive as of late, and I get the impression that TMA's, and especially the arts that I practice (WC, FMA) have been hit hard by the pandemic, and associated regulations / divisions within society.

In fact, I was contemplating starting a thread asking this question myself!

What is the climate like over there? I imagine the lockdowns are all lifted, but I imagine there's still a lot of division and restrictions around some things, such as vax status? I have the suspicion that I wouldn't be welcomed to train in many places even if I wanted to...

The situation is much better in Japan as far as I can tell. The government has been rather lenient and light handed... even the lock downs here have been more "suggestions" with many schools continuing to train normally, with just basic precautions (masks, hygiene). And people haven't become all radicalized and don't ask or care about vax status.

I did take a break from training during the worst of the pandemic, just out of precaution. My wife was pregnant at the time, and we decided to be cautious. I wound up taking a break after that too, because taking care of a small baby is a ton of work, and I needed to be present. But things have stabilized and I'm ready to start training again.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the current state of various Wing Chun/Ving Tsun/Wing Tsun groups after the pandemic and in the modern age of MMA?
We're still going up here in SF. We've only had a couple of new students over the last two years though. It does feel like something of a holding pattern.
Is it just me using archaic contact methods, like looking for a website, rather than newer forms of social media? Or is it just that the particular groups I happened to be looking for had disappeared at a greater rate? Or is it something bigger? How many of the traditional WC/WT/VT groups are shrinking and even closing their doors in this modern age, what with the aging sifus retiring and the younger generation going elsewhere to other arts or sports?
That's part of it. The WC forums seemed lively on Facebook last I logged in a few months ago.

What I've seen across traditional martial arts is that we largely offer an inferior product to your average MMA/BJJ gym in terms of what benefits are delivered to the student (I'm not getting in to the flame war of what art is better, that's a stupid argument). The two mma/bjj places I have been to have weathered the pandemic pretty well.

We only get the people who specifically want Kung Fu at the WC school, and those numbers are really only ever seem to be bolstered by popular movies.
Judging from the shrinking numbers and increasing average age of the posters here in the WT forum, and on other traditional MA forums as well, I must say I'm a little concerned and disappointed. Tell me I've got it wrong. How are your organizations doing? As the old sifus retire, is the next generation shouldering the mantel and carrying the art forward? For those of you in other traditional martial arts besides WC, what is your situation?
Org is doing fine, we're starting up workshops again for the long distance instructors. Hopefully we'll get back to public workshops before too much longer. Locally, I believe Chris Chan's school is still going and Tat Mau Wong's schools mostly seem to still be afloat. The smaller groups like the local 8 step mantis guys seem to have closed their doors.

Haven't had much call to teach wutang saber fencing anymore - a shame since it requires a mask and you stab whoever gets within 6 feet of you ;)

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've resumed up here in Seattle. Lost a few long term students during covid and are open to a few new ones to take their spots. But, we are back at it.

I have not stayed particularly active here because Wing Chun threads get relentlessly trolled and who needs that?

Latest Discussions