The Crossing of Politics and Religion...

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
That is interesting. And perhaps a little eerie.

As I've droned on about in other threads, although I am a person with religious beliefs, I also think that we should use our reason to the best of our abilities. I sincerely hope the folks in the broadcast were trying to harness both their feelings of faith and the questions they had in their minds about our political candidates.

And I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that you know who God is going to pick, which was kind of implied once or twice in the radio program.
It is interesting how you can recognize false humility when the language and presentation is 'humble' while you place yourself at the top of your own pecking order.....:)

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
wait - do you mean me, or people in general, or people in the broadcast? I'm confused.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Do you suppose these Christians' are aware of the President's incredible lack of understanding of Christian doctrine?
heretic888 said:
Probably not. Then again, the vast majority of "Christians" of any demographic have an incredible lack of understanding of "Christian doctrine" themselves. The moral issues set aside, there is an entire body of theological ideas as a whole that are "selectively" emphasized in the churches while others go to the wayside.
My guess is that many don't really want to know. They are perfectly content with what was told to them as a child, or what their local pastor/priest told them last Sunday. Ignorance, like violence, is nasty, nasty cycle. ...
Yeah, but did you read the quote?

The President said he didn't think Jesus spoke about capital punishment in the New Testament.
"He that is without sin among you, Let him first cast a stone at her."
That's a tough one to 'selectively' emphasize. And, gee, for the champion of the religious right, you would think he would be a bit familiar with that verse.

Anyhow, I am not worried about the radical evangelicals praying up a storm for anyone. There have been studies that show prayer works, who am I to argue. I still think they are harmless.

I did see an interesting letter from what was reported to be a position of authority in the Catholic Church, that suggested followers to consider all politicians positions concerning 'Life' when selecting for whom to vote, including abortion, capital punishment, and bombs that land on innocent bystanders.

Hmmm. That sounded thoughtful.

R

rmcrobertson

Nat Hentoff, who usually writes for the "Village Voice," has for some years taken a pro-Life position...no abortion, no capital punishment, no war, etc....it's not very different from the morlity expressed in "The Fifth Element:" "Protect Life."

I don't altogether agree, believing (along with the late Abbie Hoffman) that human life begins after the fetus graduates from college...and there's an equally-interesting debate on the matter in Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars," novels.

However, the fudging by Christians does go on forever...you know, OK, it says, "Thou Shalt Not Kill," but it means, thou shalt not do murder, and anyway, it's an imperfect world, and the Amish and the Quakers are just silly people...(wait till the electricity goes down....you'll want to know somebody Amish)...and anyway, Jesus didn't mean that we should spare the heathen.

As one of the heathen, I don't have these problems. I just think that violence is ALWAYS wrong, if sometimes necessary...

Ya know what I learned from Freud on this subject? Pretty much all human violence is unconsciously motivated.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a tough one to 'selectively' emphasize.

Not really.

Contrary to popular belief, there really is no "standard" or "staple" of Christian belief. It is all dependent on the particular church, and moreso on what that church chooses to emphasize. Personally, I could use the Bible to support an internationalistic, cross-cultural mysticism or I could use it to support a nationalistic, knee-jerk, political jingoism. There are verses and passages therein to support either position, you just have to look for them.

I'd say its a safe bet that a sizeable portion of the "Christian" demographic do believe in the death penalty. An actual judicious analysis of the quote in question doesn't just have "Jesus" condemning the death penalty, but condemning all forms of sociopolitical judgment whatsoever (unless the person doing the judging just magically happens to be "without sin"). I'd say its safe to say that most Christians don't support a position of no legal judgments whatsoever, regardless of the NT's more utopian statements in that regard.

Then again, "Jesus" also said give unto Caesar what is his. Of course, he also said to forsake family, friends, home, and possessions to take up the way of God.....

*shrugs* Whutavah.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Feisty Mouse said:
wait - do you mean me, or people in general, or people in the broadcast? I'm confused.
It could apply in general, but I was referring to this particular thread topic, not you by any means. The idea that "we can never know Gods Plan" and "We are humble before the Lord" contrasted with the "We know who God has chosen to be President and we are right" (which implies that they have the TRUE WAY figured out and are more important because of that place they hold).

Latest Discussions