The Cons of MMA's popularity

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/a...+fight+between+Lahaina+boys+posted+on+YouTube

LAHAINA — Police have counseled two Lahaina high school students involved in a mixed martial arts-style fight that was videotaped and posted on the Internet last week.

A video of the fight, on the Web site YouTube, shows the boys wearing shorts and T-shirts and throwing punches and kicks on a basketball court as a crowd of people watch. At the end of the video, which lasts 1 minute and 45 seconds, one boy is shown lying on the ground and cradling his head.

MMA is hugely popular here in Hawaii and I can't tell you how many times students at my school have walked in after participating in rumbles like these. I've got one boy who now has a permanent shoulder injury because some kid whipped an Ude Garame in an impromptu match and wrenched his shoulder out of joint. I realize that this is a popular sport, but in my neck of the woods, there is a dark side.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this has less to do with MMA than the fact that young men will fight, I don't believe there would have been no similiar fights in the past and there are only fights now because of MMA. The only difference now to say fifty years ago is the filming it on mobiles and posting it on the net.
We had fights at my school in Scotland in the 60s that sounded exactly like this.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boys will be boys. If we wanted them to be girls, we needed to get them clipped when they were born.

But since we didn't, we have to put up with them running around, banging heads, bloodying each other up, and sometimes getting injured.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/a...+fight+between+Lahaina+boys+posted+on+YouTube

MMA is hugely popular here in Hawaii and I can't tell you how many times students at my school have walked in after participating in rumbles like these. I've got one boy who now has a permanent shoulder injury because some kid whipped an Ude Garame in an impromptu match and wrenched his shoulder out of joint. I realize that this is a popular sport, but in my neck of the woods, there is a dark side.

I think its a combo of the clowns that post their backyard fights on YT, as well as the 'kids' because thats what they are, idolizing their heros so much, that they want to be like them, so rather than get their *** to a school and learn properly, under a qualified teacher, they watch TUF with their friends and then run out to the back yard and try to mimic what they see.

MMA is popular, and there are certainly no shortage of schools. If they really have that desire to do this, rather than play fight in the backyard, they need to train with the proper supervision. I highly doubt there is anyone present at these backyard fights, that has an medical qualifications as well as the common sense to call for help, should something bad happen.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think its a combo of the clowns that post their backyard fights on YT, as well as the 'kids' because thats what they are, idolizing their heros so much, that they want to be like them, so rather than get their *** to a school and learn properly, under a qualified teacher, they watch TUF with their friends and then run out to the back yard and try to mimic what they see.

MMA is popular, and there are certainly no shortage of schools. If they really have that desire to do this, rather than play fight in the backyard, they need to train with the proper supervision. I highly doubt there is anyone present at these backyard fights, that has an medical qualifications as well as the common sense to call for help, should something bad happen.

There wasn't any supervision when I was a kid playing full contact backyard football or wrestling, or boxing or fist fighting down the block.

Though perhaps it would have been nice to have had someone point out the fact that cardboard gliders don't fly before we pushed ours out of the barn loft and dropped like a rock........

My personal opinion, though, is that there are too many nannies in this day and age.......quite frankly I think these kids are capable of learning the hard way like I did.......after a few trips to the hospital for stitches.............besides, we all instinctively knew that 'Don't try this at home' was just for the lawyers anyway. ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There wasn't any supervision when I was a kid playing full contact backyard football or wrestling, or boxing or fist fighting down the block.

Though perhaps it would have been nice to have had someone point out the fact that cardboard gliders don't fly before we pushed ours out of the barn loft and dropped like a rock........

My personal opinion, though, is that there are too many nannies in this day and age.......quite frankly I think these kids are capable of learning the hard way like I did.......after a few trips to the hospital for stitches.............besides, we all instinctively knew that 'Don't try this at home' was just for the lawyers anyway. ;)

Perhaps its because of what people think. People see nothing wrong with playing the all American game of football, climbing trees, baseball, etc. But mention fighting, martial arts, and the like, and the picture that gets painted is less than pleasing.

Yes, there are times today, as well as in my own life, when I was younger, that the learning the hard way, came into play. :) On the flip side, that can also bite you in the ***. I mean, shouldn't we draw the line somewhere? In other words, I would think there're some instances in which flat out telling the person not to do something, rather than learning the hard way, is much better. That trip to the hospital may end up being a 1 way trip.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's no different from the backyard wrestling a decade ago, the backyard karate before that in the 70's and the backyard judo before that. Guys are gonna be dumb teens and fight (not all, but enough). Video cameras, the internet and the idea of people becoming internet celebrities for the dumbest reasons means we just hear about it more.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think this has less to do with MMA than the fact that young men will fight, I don't believe there would have been no similiar fights in the past and there are only fights now because of MMA. The only difference now to say fifty years ago is the filming it on mobiles and posting it on the net.

We had fights at my school in Scotland in the 60s that sounded exactly like this.

We had our fights in school and I've participated in *ahem* a couple *ahem* myself. We played around with professional wrestling moves and pretended to be like the guys in the male soap operas. Yes, boys will be boys.

MMA steps up that action and had the potential to make it more dangerous though. Many of the jujutsu techniques were designed to maim and kill if they are taken to that point. I've got no problem with people learning MMA or competing, but when I go to the beach and see a couple nine year olds throwing arm bar, knee bars, kimuras, etc, I start to wonder at the wisdom of various parents and of the general hype of MMA in general.

This is a downside to the sport IMO. You could say the same about any sport.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The other thing this brings up is that from a self defense perspective, its a good bet that the thugs are doing this. You better have a high enough skill level that you could defeat someone with some level of training.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The other thing this brings up is that from a self defense perspective, its a good bet that the thugs are doing this. You better have a high enough skill level that you could defeat someone with some level of training.

Exactly. Any reality-based SD art had better incorporate defenses against groundfighting into the curriculum...because thugs watch TUF as much as anybody else, I'm sure.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps its because of what people think. People see nothing wrong with playing the all American game of football, climbing trees, baseball, etc. But mention fighting, martial arts, and the like, and the picture that gets painted is less than pleasing.

Yes, there are times today, as well as in my own life, when I was younger, that the learning the hard way, came into play. :) On the flip side, that can also bite you in the ***. I mean, shouldn't we draw the line somewhere? In other words, I would think there're some instances in which flat out telling the person not to do something, rather than learning the hard way, is much better. That trip to the hospital may end up being a 1 way trip.

Telling them is good.......but if they insist on doing it anyway, that's their business.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's no different from the backyard wrestling a decade ago, the backyard karate before that in the 70's and the backyard judo before that. Guys are gonna be dumb teens and fight (not all, but enough). Video cameras, the internet and the idea of people becoming internet celebrities for the dumbest reasons means we just hear about it more.

Exactly! Youtube didn't invent boys acting like boys.......it just records the stupid moments for posterity.......which is like creating the perception that it's happening more, but it's not really.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Any reality-based SD art had better incorporate defenses against groundfighting into the curriculum...because thugs watch TUF as much as anybody else, I'm sure.

Looking at the last series of TUF though they will learn very little, some of the so called fighters didn't and they were there! :uhohh:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looking at the last series of TUF though they will learn very little, some of the so called fighters didn't and they were there! :uhohh:

Yeah, there's really not much technique demonstrated on 'TUF'......it's mostly 'The Real World' with testosterone and an occasional fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of Rampage's team coaches, Tom Blackledge, is English and he was saying that there was no time to coach properly, there were so many fights that they didn't want to risk getting them injured so they just taught them the very basics. He said too that Rampage was slammed as being a bad cornerman but as Tom said how can you shout juijitsu instructions etc to people who didn't even know the basics of juijitsu. On the other team five of them had been training with Rashad at Greg Jacksons camp anyway before the programme started. Tom speaks well of Kimbo, says he is very willing to learn and he thinks he's with America Top Team at the moment. Tom's a pretty mean fighter himself as well as a good coach.
The last TUF did a huge disservice to MMA.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of Rampage's team coaches, Tom Blackledge, is English and he was saying that there was no time to coach properly, there were so many fights that they didn't want to risk getting them injured so they just taught them the very basics. He said too that Rampage was slammed as being a bad cornerman but as Tom said how can you shout juijitsu instructions etc to people who didn't even know the basics of juijitsu. On the other team five of them had been training with Rashad at Greg Jacksons camp anyway before the programme started. Tom speaks well of Kimbo, says he is very willing to learn and he thinks he's with America Top Team at the moment. Tom's a pretty mean fighter himself as well as a good coach.
The last TUF did a huge disservice to MMA.

Can't disagree with that.

On the topic of Kimbo, his biggest problem is that he's getting too old. He's at an age where most fighters are looking at retirement in the near future. He's one knee injury away from retiring before starting.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Telling them is good.......but if they insist on doing it anyway, that's their business.

Absolutely, and while I do agree with what you're saying, I was just looking at it from the possibility that should someones 15yo son be engaging in UFC wanna be activity, and God forbid the kid gets injured, I could just imagine the parents getting a lawyer and accusing the family where the incident happened, of neglect and not supervising the kids properly, blah, blah, blah.

I mean, if some careless driver sues McDonalds for coffee being too hot, coffee that SHE spilled on herself, well, I think you know where I'm going with this. :)

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can't disagree with that.

On the topic of Kimbo, his biggest problem is that he's getting too old. He's at an age where most fighters are looking at retirement in the near future. He's one knee injury away from retiring before starting.

Yeah, when you see the poor guy walk down a short flight of stairs it's painful. He walks like an old man. But he hits like a freight train so I guess it evens out.

Latest Discussions