"The Art of Competition" World Taekwondo Federation 1987

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bought this video back in 1987 directly from the WTF. Cost $100.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never seen it. Good stuff, thank you for posting. I'll have to share it with my students.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have seen bits and pieces of this vid before, never the entire thing though. It is cool to look back and see that things have not changed all that much.

Thanks for the vid.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i have only seen a few short snippits but never the complete thing. thanks.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must have watched that film a thousand times. Every little thing means something. For example, IN Hae Jin does his steps differently from everyone else....

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I must have watched that film a thousand times. Every little thing means something. For example, IN Hae Jin does his steps differently from everyone else....

Seriously, me too. I remember the day I got that tape in the mail from Korea. I watched it twice. The second time I had the VHS remote on slo-motion for all the hogu drills and wrote down the detail of each one. Then I went to the dojang and told everyone to get a hogu on and those drills became our hogu drills back then. A few years later, GM Ki Moon Kwon who's classmates all appear on that tape came to my dojang and was amazed that we were doing all his drills.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i had to watch the kick at 21:43 about 5 times. that was awesome. truly impressive. dont see that to often.

OP
mastercole

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
i had to watch the kick at 21:43 about 5 times. that was awesome. truly impressive. dont see that to often.

That guy kicking the bag with that round kick, change rotational direction in the air, back kick is GM Myung Sam Chang, World and Olympic Champion. his nickname is "The Leaper." I while back I posted a video of GM Ki Moon Kwon and GM Myung Sam Chang having some fun at our 1997 tournament in Ohio. I might have posted a video of his amazing punch-reverse back whip kick and spinning back whip kick break.

My students and I did several days of training with him at my dojang. I remember holding the Sang Moo Sa air shield for him while he was demonstrating back kick. Probably the most powerful back kick I have ever felt. There was no discernible give away motion. The back kick was pure. When you realized that he back kicked, you are already being lifted off the ground.

He was studying at a university in Texas and for a while he ran a club there before moving back to Korea. Here is a photo of us together. GM Myung Sam Chang is standing next to my left. On the other side of him is GM NAM Seung Hyun, head of the Kukkiwon Demonstration Team. On my other side in the white Hanbok is GM Joon Lee of Lee Brothers, and next to him is GM Ki Moon Kwon of Ohio, World Champion and former coach at Hankuk Chaedae (KNUPE)

Al1997.jpg
[/IMG]

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
To know the true name of a Taekwondo technique, we have to look at the Korean term. "Hooryeo-chagi", this means "whip-kick"

Korean taekwondo terminology, at least for kicking, tends to describe the action or motion. So for whip kick, the kick is supposed to "whip". Padduh Chagi means "receiving kick", which means you do it when you are receiving a kick or technique from you opponent. Cut Kick "cuts" your opponent's line. Understanding the korean terminology is helpful in understanding how and/or when the kick is used.