Tgace in motion

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Ya know Ive seriously thought about hitting one of those "Total Tan" joints during my lunch break.
Ordinarily I'd warn about the dangers of skin cancer, but in your case... :D

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Well..here it goes.

ALIBIS:

The video: Off of a cheap 2.1MP HP camera. Ran out of memory about 6 moves short of completing the form. My short attention span 12 y.o. was holding the camera hence the "monkey cam". I ran it through a batch converter to MPEG explaining the little logo at the bottom (at least it was freeware).

Me: Im doing my best here with a Balintawak (Bobby T's) "shadow fighting form". I am hopefully a little more polished at it now, there are little "gaps" where you can tell Im trying to remember the next piece. Sacrificed some form for speed here and am a little "tight".

And lay off the complexion. I work midnights ya know!
icon10.gif

http://martialtalk.com/videos/tomg_sff.mpg MPG 3.58MB

Looks good over all. Some minor critiques (prepare yourself) would be that your "abaniko-like" shots (that's the closest thing to a name that we use) could be a little cleaner. If the pseudo-name I used doesn't ring a bell, it's going to be hard to pinpoint them for you but here goes :)

In the first section of the form (we break it into 3 parts when teaching it) there are, as we count it, 10 strikes and the "abaniko-like" strikes are 9 & 10. They don't really form an abaniko but they aren't really an angle 2 and angle 1, either.

However, since you may not break the form down as we do, here's the list to that first "abaniko-like" strike as we count it.

1. Down (angle 1)
2. Down (angle 2)
3. Up (along the angle 2 line)
4. Up (along the angle 1 line)
5. Center-center-center (angle 4, 3, 4)
6. Sungkiti (angle 6)
7. Sungkiti (angle 7)
8. Umbrella to knee (angle 8)
9 & 10 "abaniko-like" strike going from angle 2 to angle 1

Anyway, those could stand to be a bit cleaner but that's a common problem that everyone I've ever trained with/taught had. Your "redondo & 1/2" (again, what we call it but it could also be called redondo-witik) needs to be looser and your sungkiti thrusts need a little clean up.

All of those are very minor, though, and shouldn't take any time at all to clean up. Your twirls - another problem area for a lot of people - look good. And, overall, it looks good.

How long have you been working that form? And how long training in Balintawak in general?

Mike

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah..Ive always had "issues" with keeping a clean line on those thrusts. Tip waver and all...Those other strikes arent really abaniko's, they are supposed to be more like "feints" where the strike comes in on one angle and then "flips" to another either "around" the opponents stick or after contact with it...Im still working on it. Its easier to do when you actually hit something.

As to me doing "pure/legit" Balintawak... nothing past a few seminars. The guy I train with/learn from ( the former MT member Loki/Paul Martin) has the Balintawak experience. He has just blended some of the drills/forms into his Mod Arnis training.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Yeah..Ive always had "issues" with keeping a clean line on those thrusts. Tip waver and all...Those other strikes arent really abaniko's, they are supposed to be more like "feints" where the strike comes in on one angle and then "flips" to another either "around" the opponents stick or after contact with it...Im still working on it. Its easier to do when you actually hit something.

Yup. I know what they are :) Balintawak is one part of the curriculum I learned from my instructor but we actually learned the entire Balintawak curriculum within our Sikal curriculum. If I were to spend a few months polishing my material I could go take the "Completion of Art" test (equivalent of black belt) under GM Bobby and I would probably pass unless I just did something lame on the test. And, yes, they are much easier when actually hitting something :)

As to me doing "pure/legit" Balintawak... nothing past a few seminars. The guy I train with/learn from ( the former MT member Loki/Paul Martin) has the Balintawak experience. He has just blended some of the drills/forms into his Mod Arnis training.

Cool :)

Mike

L

lonekimono10

Hey tom i want to ask you something after watching that clip it came to me,
can you please come over to my house this sat(,i will pay you good)
you see we are having a party and boy can i use you, you see we have alot of bugs flying around over here and the way you move that stick well,,, it will keep the bugs away,,,,now , now i'm only having fun it looked great.

L

lonekimono10

Now if we can get you to use two of them at the same time.LOL :partyon:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. What is the idea behind the 2nd vid. Single round in a clip for drilling clip change speed?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your '12 year old' doing now ten years on? :)

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's your '12 year old' doing now ten years on? :)

Graduated college, living on her own in another state working as a writer/editor for an education curriculum publisher.

Time passes by way too fast.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Can normally shoot this drill a LOT faster, but I was working on a specific method of shoulder switching (what hand to move to what part of the gun when switching) and wanted to make sure I was doing it the "right way" every time.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cool. Actually the first time I have ever seen something like that, but makes sense to practice like that. Well seems that way to me.

In practice it's a LOT like MA drills where you do the same technique (block/punch) over and over again to ingrain muscle memory.

Latest Discussions