Testing & Nerves

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
better a failed test than an undeserved belt.

if nothing else, you now know that you have an honest instructor.

TKD tests can be nerve wracking! What a mess. But, sometimes, you just get in the zone, once you are moving, then everything is fine. The worst part of course is between things, when one just stands there, waiting. That is never good. You think to yourself, what will come next?

But, even if one does not pass, well, then the student has to just hunker down and practice, more, more. What can one do, this is the nature of this practice, to be tested in this way. It is nerve wracking, but, also, this is stress testing the mind in a way, perhaps. This is also good practice in and of itself, I think. Not fun, maybe, but beneficial perhaps?

Haha -- I can think back on some things -- it would be said, "This is testing, Mah!"

Nothing like seeing the upper level belt students -- the blue belts, the brown belts testing full out, STILL showing control, even though they give full power. its always good to see how fellow students progress, it reminds me that practice pays off.

OP
Windsinger

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
One thing I always try to keep in mind, no matter what type of test it is, is that even failing can be a learning experience. If I had failed my TKD test on Saturday, sure, I would have been disappointed with myself. However, I would have also looked at it from the view that I would know what I had to work on to improve, as well as what I had to work on to keep doing it well.

I'm hoping that I've managed, even in a small way, to pass that on to my son. I think I have, but time will tell. :)

Latest Discussions