Testing for Yellow

M

Mike

Well, I just found out at class last night that I will be testing for my Yellow belt this Monday. (I thought that we would not be testing until after the New Year). I'm a little nervous as I have not seen an adult test. I have seen my son test several times over the past 3 years.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't be nervous, Mike. You know the material; just do what you've been trained to do and you'll be fine.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, there's not much to be nervous about (yet:D ) Do your basics, forms, & sets, as well as the sparring techniques, techniques whatever you may be testing on as to the best of your abilities; then you will be fine.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Good luck and try to enjoy the test. ;)

OP
R

Ronin

good luck on the test its a once and a lifetime experience!!

OP
M

Mike

Got my Yellow Belt! What a relief. It went fairly well, but I was surprised that I was nervous when I was up in fromt of everyone. Well, it is my first step down the road to black and beyond. My instructor teaches an advanced class at night that is about 1/2 lecture on Kenpo history and theory, etc. Last class he showed an old video that was narrated by Ed Parker. The video demonstrated techniques through brown belt and forms, i.e. Long 4. It does give me some idea of just how much I have to learn. I don't recall who was demonstrating the techniques, but he was very, very good. I'll have to ask about that.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mike, Congratulations on getting your yellow belt! :) Good luck on your journey. I just got my yellow right before christmas. what kind of techniques and things did you have to do for your test and how long was it?

OP
M

Mike

what kind of techniques and things did you have to do for your test and how long was it? [/B]

My test might be considered a little different. I was responsible for learning 4 of 5 possible advanced techniques with extensions where applicable. I demonstrated 5 techniques with a partner. Not sure how long it took. The techniques were Thundering Hammers, Clipping the Storm, Repeated Devastation, Cross of Destruction, and Circles of Protection. It was a lot of material to digest. The classes are taught so that everyone is working on the same group of techniques, so that we are all on the same page and can all practice and help each other on the same techniques.

Now, one of my four weekly classes also covers the traditional order of material, so I am also learning the typical yellow belt techniques, as well as working on things such as short form 1 and star block set two.
But, I was not tested on these materials for my yellow belt.

Latest Discussions