Testing Fees

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's a question about testing fees. For BLACK belts here, how much did you pay to test for dan rank, and any subsequent dan rank that you may have achieved? Also, through which TKD organization did you receive your certificate?

Me? I paid $450 for the privilege to test for 1st dan BLACK through the WTF affiliated Kukkiwon and US Taekwondo Union...
:asian:

D

Disco

$450 was what most WTF schools charge. Most of that going to the Instructor. Kukkiwon fee for first is/was only $70 last time I checked. Fee's being fattened up like that is why there's so many TKD Organizations.

My old school/Instructor (Master) really had it going on. You had your choice of three different dan certifications. First there was just a school cert. $250. Second, there was the association certification (Style of TKD), $350, then the WTF cert. $450. You could go for all or any combination. The catch was that if you did'nt go for the WTF then you could'nt compete for the Olympic teams. Which is true, but how many really have the ability to compete at that level? Anyway, you can see how much you could fork out if you did'nt know any better. The shame is that most people don't know any better until they have been involved for a few years. They all trust what's being presented to them.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I remember right, it was $125 for mine in the ITF/USTF, but this was back in 1987 so I don't know what it is now.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
Here's a question about testing fees. For BLACK belts here, how much did you pay to test for dan rank, and any subsequent dan rank that you may have achieved? Also, through which TKD organization did you receive your certificate?

Me? I paid $450 for the privilege to test for 1st dan BLACK through the WTF affiliated Kukkiwon and US Taekwondo Union...
[/QUOTE

Well, I think you paid too much, but what do you think about it?

The highest it goes in the ITF is $400 , I believe.:asian:

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

Well, I think you paid too much, but what do you think about it?

The highest it goes in the ITF is $400 , I believe.:asian: [/B]

From what I've heard and seen, the $400 to $450 range is about par for the course to test for a 1st dan BLACK here in Southern Cali.

At my daughter's previous dojang the price to test for 1st poom black was $400, but, she wouldn't have received any certificate from a recognized TKD body (i.e., WTF-Kukkiwon, ITF, ATA, etc., etc.) after she passed the BB test.

As far as what I think about this? I think it's just a money game... :shrug:

G

Galvatron

I didn't pay for any of my dan testings...my dad was the master instructor, although for some reason my testing seemed a little harder than everyone elses :confused:
;)

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Galvatron
I didn't pay for any of my dan testings...my dad was the master instructor, although for some reason my testing seemed a little harder than everyone elses :confused:
;)

Lucky you! I wish my Pops would have been a Sabumnim, at least I would have saved a few bucks on the belt testing fees... ;) :p

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What are you paying for? Where does that money go?

For $450 all you are getting is a certificate? Ouch...

I paid $100 for my non-TKD senior test... $50 was to cover the cost of my handmade sash, and the other $50 paid for the dinner I was treated to once we finished...

Gambarimasu.

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1st Dan - Kukkiwon - US$ 90.00
2nd Dan - Kukkiwon - US$ 120.00
3rd Dan - Kukkiwon - US$ 160.00
4th Dan - Euro TKD Federation (independent) - US$ 75.00

The fees for the 1st to 3rd Dan mentioned above are approximate. The general rule is: Kukkiwon fee + certain amount of money to the Polish Taekwondo Federation.

Regards

Gizmo

OP
cali_tkdbruin

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
What are you paying for? Where does that money go?

For $450 all you are getting is a certificate? Ouch...

I paid $100 for my non-TKD senior test... $50 was to cover the cost of my handmade sash, and the other $50 paid for the dinner I was treated to once we finished...

Gambarimasu.

The fee is quite a bit, and I don't know if it's because we're in the Los Angeles area and the dojangs here think that they can charge L.A. prices or what. It seems the SBN gets a good portion of the fee for the school.

For the BB testing fee we received our Kukkuwon certificate framed of course, :rolleyes:
a small credit card sized Kukkiwon membership card to carry in a wallet, and our black belt embroidered with our name (in English and Korean), and also embroidered with our dojang's name and a stripe for our new dan rank. That's pretty much it.

Latest Discussions