Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A withering mind is a terrible thing no matter whose it is. So do we let them suffer or our selves watch and suffer? This is going on in my life to where I'm watching a mind (and two) are withering away little by little. I want to get away from it as far as I can but I am bound by my love for them to ensure they'll be okay and their cognitive needs are met. It's at it's beginning stage for one and a bit longer for the other.

However; some would watch that film and say it's still a coward's way out. To let life take it's natural course irregardless of the quality.
Lepers in ancient times were sent (banished?) to areas of isolation and they had to live the long slow death.

Lots of different cultures have different views of suicide. Here in the states (and other countries) the only time it's ever considered honorable is when it saves the lives of others. We even give (post houmus) medals to those that do.

And naturally there are different definitions and levels of suicide, as well as the desired ways and types of person, then finally, methods.

I've had several direct experiences of it with friends, known more than a few to have done it and my own personal experience (attempt). That, and having volunteer for a suicide hot line for six months, afterwards.
I view it as a selfish thing.

Yet I view selfish in different ways as well.
A person has their right to choose what they wish to do with their bodies (and minds) don't they? Tattoos, piercings, et al. They see their bodies or minds deteriorating slowly it's frightening. Or they're in such pain and anguish that nothing helps, neither drugs nor counseling.
Or is that being selfish in not recognizing or acknowledging the pain in others if one is successful?

It'll be interesting to see where this topic will go here on MT.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought the film was very well done, though the ending most certainly messed with my emotions.

If you are terminal, if you are in pain, if you have made the decision not to carry on, the decision to kill yourself with some dignity, after discussing the issue with several medical professionals and getting their OK, you should be permitted to terminate your life.

If you are just tired of living, if there is nothing “wrong” with you, and you wish to end your life, you need to be provided medical care to help you.

Latest Discussions