Who Owns Knowledge?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]x_TMy_erOUU[/yt]

An excellent delving into the co-existence, nearly always in conflict over time, of science and mysticism, with science gradually gaining ascendency in the recent era, illustrated by BBC archival documentary footage.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I assumed from the title this was about intellectual property. I have no opinion on this, aside from "Whoa?!"

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought it too was about personal intellectual property. Which it seems sounds like it could use it's own thread.

For me science is a way of seeing how God works. Science helps me to understand what I'm witnessing, whatever it may be. Having God would help explain what science can't.

I won't do the argument about how/why people are evil. That is a personal choice and God granted that ability to make that choice for each individual. I choose to believe. I choose to respect those who do not... and have rationale enough to ask for the same.

As a kid I loved science and ate it up and my father encouraged it. With it and learning how to apply scientific methods to understanding whatever it was that I became curious about, which in turn with my religious upbringing and then personal journey to discover God in my own way while neither approving or disapproving (yet agreeing and disagreeing) of anyone else's faith or lack thereof.

I take comfort in allowing God to fill in the gaps, as it were and then witness his power through simple acts of nature, kindness or anything else that I've found to be good. Where evil is God is not. :idunno: It's how I see it.
So with that I'm able to watch a stop motion film of a flower opening up it's bud or growing from a seed, or the birth of a whale or a fellow human being. To see wonders seldom seen by others. To witness change in people for the better. Understanding how the mind works helps understand this change. All of that and so much more which is my life at present. Nice thing is knowing there's more to come.
Dr Harry Wolper: I tell you Sid, that one of these days we'll look in to our microscope and find ourselves staring right into God's eyes, and the first one who blinks is going to lose his testicles.
Getting rid of God personally for me wouldn't be such a great idea.
Dr Harry Wolper: I don't think I'd like to be God, not that I'm turning down any offers mind you. But there are six billion people on this planet and I still feel alone. Imagine being One God.
As for the rest of the planet... :idunno: I've heard many different views of what would happen. From the Pat Robertson's version (one extreme) to the "not a damned thing" (the other extreme) version.
Question is why the need to get rid of God? There's another film worth watching http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053946/ that raises up the same question
[challenged to say if he considers anything holy]
Henry Drummond: Yes. The individual human mind. In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks turned to snakes or the parting of the waters.